Airiya (Iranian-type faction)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I guess it works for the Persian part. Maybe the Assyrian part can be neutral, for they have fame of being ruthless and relentless soldiers.
Of course, we could get leadership away and just stay with the two specialized types, since Clibanarii and Cataphract were all of noble descent, extremely trained and disciplined, so leadership may not fit in the equation very well. More probably the better trained or the older noble would take the decisions among the corps.
I'm thinking heavily on this, since it is not necessary to give leadership to every faction made. Also, heavy lawful cavalry should be enough (and leadership may be overkill), after all, they have so much armour i expect them to be more resistant to pierce than common cavalry.

I fear the Cathapract needs more than just a spear (charge), and consider a slow attack to be a good option.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:I guess it works for the Persian part. Maybe the Assyrian part can be neutral, for they have fame of being ruthless and relentless soldiers.
And, as I mentioned earlier, Assyrian soldiers were skilled at many sorts of terrain as well.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:
Of course, we could get leadership away and just stay with the two specialized types, since Clibanarii and Cataphract were all of noble descent, extremely trained and disciplined, so leadership may not fit in the equation very well. More probably the better trained or the older noble would take the decisions among the corps.
I'm thinking heavily on this, since it is not necessary to give leadership to every faction made. Also, heavy lawful cavalry should be enough (and leadership may be overkill), after all, they have so much armour i expect them to be more resistant to pierce than common cavalry.
I have no objections to cutting leadership from this faction, if it would be helpful in the long run.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I fear the Cathapract needs more than just a spear (charge), and consider a slow attack to be a good option.
How about this: hoof melee impact (slow)

After all, throughout history it has not been uncommon to teach warhorses how to defend themselves on the battlefield.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Temuchin Khan wrote:How about this: hoof melee impact (slow)

After all, throughout history it has not been uncommon to teach warhorses how to defend themselves on the battlefield.
I love this just by the fact that is a melee attack, which should give a very interesting playstyle to the unit, since slow is so commonly in raged attacks.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

So does this work?:

Code: Select all

Assyrian Heavy Horse (spear charge)->Assyrian Cataphract -> Assyrian Cataphract Immortal (spear charge, hoof (impact, slow)
                                 ->Assyrian Peer Clibanarii ->Assyrian Noble Clibanarii (sword and mace, with bow,)

Magauuan -> Magauuan Healer -> Magauuan Elder -- holy & cures   
         -> Magauuan of the Holy Flame -> Magauuan of Ahura's Flame -- fire attack

Airiya Horse Archer -> Airiya Horse Archer Elect -> Airiya Horse Archer Elite -- bow, no melee, Parthian Shot special ability; gains marksman

Airiya Footman -> Airiya Guardsman -> Immortal -- light infantry, spear, (gains firststrike), bow (gains firststrike), wicker shield 

Mosuli Conscript -- heavy infantry, sword 
                  -> Mosuli Warrior -> Mosuli Champion -- sword, shield  
                  -> Mosuli Spearman-> Mosuli Valiant -- spear, 6 ft shield, steadfast

Mosuli Levy -> Mosuli Rover -> Mosuli Ranger -- sling & bow; gains marksman 
Also, would Airiya still be the right name for this faction? It is split between 3 different groups, with the actual Airiyan troops taking up less than half the faction.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Actually...

Airiya Heavy Horse ->Airiya Cataphract ->Airiya Cataphract Immortal
                   ->Airiya Clibanarii ->Airiya Clibanarii Immortal

Airiya Horse Archer -> Airiya Horse Archer Elect -> Airiya Horse Archer Elite; bow, no melee, Parthain Shot if possible

Airiya Footman -> Airiya Guardsman -> Immortal -- light infantry, spear, (gains firststrike), bow (gains firststrike), wicker shield 

-> Mosuli Spearman-> Mosuli Valiant -- spear, 6 ft shield, steadfast 

Airiya are Persian-based, and Mosuli are Assyrian-based, sometimes we switch those terms to refer to their historical counterparts for inspiration. I love how the cavalry also has "Immortal" branches since Persian did seem to enjoy having any elite-something into groups of ten thousands.

Seems like the original idea for the Heavy Horse was melee sword (charge) and javelin. I'm guessing these would be the weapons kept for the Clibanarii (adding a mace and changing javelin for bow), while the Cataphract would change to his spear (charge) and hoof (slow). I prefer that spread, and we may change javelins for bows (game-wise the same damage type).
xXKelbaXx

Post by xXKelbaXx »

I'm a full-blooded Assyrian myself, if any of you developing this faction need help with ideas, names, or anything, I will be of service :wink:

I'm guessing you can imagine how excited I am for this faction :D

Edit: A couple of things I noticed...

The giant shields mentioned early were used in sieges. A soldier wielding the shield would protect himself and his fellow archer, who is shooting arrows into a walled town. In this method, when vollys of arrows are exchanged, the Assyrian archers had some method of protection. The soldier wielding the shield did not actually independently fight.

I didn't see a mention of chariots in the tech tree. They were a major part of the Assyrian army, but I understand that it is probably to hard to make a sprite for one that won't look too small or deformed. But if it is somehow made, the chariot would be driven by an individual and it would have one or two extra soldiers, either wielding a bow or spear.

Infantry who use spears do not carry 2-handed spears. They instead carry a short spear and a shield.

Swords were also used. The Assyrian sword is called a sapara:

It's basically just a curved sword that was used generally used more to impale and gut an enemy by attempting to drag his innards out by using the curved portion of the blade to drag them out.

A few terrain things: Infantry were used everywhere, if chariots are included, they were not used in mountains but dominated plains, and cavalry were used everywhere.

Here are a few pics of Assyrian infantrymen (robes were used as opposed to full plate mail or something)

Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Well, actually what we need (like everyone here) is art. I can't frankenstein for the love of my life because my comp sucks, add my lack of trying and you get a big whole nothing.

Now, onto things discussed in previous pages:

On giant shields: Seems like the Spearman branch will actually be closer to the light hoplite-like infantry Assyria had. I should really have removed that 6 ft. thing. Siege technologies don't apply well to Wesnoth, even though turin has tried. We could add another branch, but we like to keep it trimmed. In any way i expect it to have good defense values as any hoplite guy which should keep Temuchin in good mood. Sorry Temuchin, i just realized 6 ft. is too big for an hoplite.

On chariots: Just as any unit bigger than a mounted combatant, it has been leaved behind (see elephants too). Mainly this is due to scale and graphics. The role of a shock attack can be filled by the Cataphract and Clibanarii any day, i hope, which would make the lose of the unit more of a flavor thing than a tactical loss.

On weaponry: Yes, sapparas would be lovely, and spears will come in hoplite-size (Spearman) and Airiya size. The latter may be too short to be considered pierce, so maybe blade would fit better, but that is a balancing issue more than anything.

Now... will the Levy have a melee attack. It just ocurred to me that if we leave it melee-less we can snatch some "siege flavor" like turin did with his Lavinian Bowman. Also, i'll make a quick search for the name of the elite corps of cavalry, i remember that one exists, maybe we can use that instead of calling them Immortals too.
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Hmm... I already had given some Mosuli units with saparas... Cuyo covered pretty much everything.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Good luck. When you get graphics I'll add these guys to the Imperial Era. Until then, I wait on the sidelines. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Found them. The Pushtigban were the bodyguard cavalry of Persia.

Airiya Heavy Horse ->Airiya Cataphract ->Airiya Cataphract Pushtigban 
                   ->Airiya Clibanarii ->Airiya Clibanarii Pushtigban

Airiya Horse Archer -> Airiya Horse Archer Elect -> Airiya Horse Archer Elite; bow, no melee, Parthain Shot if possible 

-> Mosuli Spearman-> Mosuli Valiant -- spear, hoplite shield, steadfast 

EDIT: Graphics... *hits head*
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I may start doing Airiya graphics... I'll use the previously posted reference pics.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yo.

[edit]
and a horse archer... the archer isn't as good as the footsman, though.

[edit2]
Some reference images for the Magauuan line would be useful. I have no idea what they are supposed to look like.
Attachments
horse-archer.png
horse-archer.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
footman.png
footman.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Nice start, although it would be nice if there was more to differentiate them. Maybe give the horse guys a beard (because horsemen would have been richer, and rich guys tended to have large black beards in that area back then)
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

You might want to look at these pages:
http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Military/ ... n_army.htm
Look at the Achaemenid, Sasanian, and Parthian sections.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ancientp ... y_frm.html
Try the cavalty, immortals, and guards pages here.

For the Magauuan:
This is probably the best picture I have found. These are modern priests, but...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Interesting.

Here's a change to the horse archer... I think the beard makes it look too poweful, though. Maybe I should reserve it for level 2.

[edit]
the image
Attachments
horse-archer.png
horse-archer.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 4356 times
The World of Orbivm