Imperial Multiplayer Era - version 0.17 released

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

unsung

Post by unsung »

I remeber that was the goal with the lavinians for a while- didn't work out well.

Doin gthis now would result in haveing to completely redo them I suspect, and since they'll never, ever, ever, figth each other, why bother?
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
henkutsu

Very long campaign involving Windsong and Levinians

Post by henkutsu »

Hello,

This is kind of a generic message that I am posting in several different forums seeking permission and information.

I am making a long campaign involving the windsong clan, Lavinian, Nemidian, Orcei Gladiatores, Marauders, Issaelfr and more. I have 5 scenarios done so far (though I am still adding plot stuff etc) and will be fleshing out the graphics of the windsong clan (as they are one of the centre piece of this series of campaigns) and others, but mostly concentrating on the windsong clan.

I would like permission to use the above factions and ask for any extra backstory etc that might be available. (I have read through forums and relevant campaigns I could find)

The campaign is called "All in balance" (no, I'm not putting it up on the server till it is a little more complete) and revolves around the windsong clan covertly starting the destruction of the Lavinain empire as they fear it shall fulfil their prophecy of a large nation controlling the world (windsong backstory is of a foundation in the icy north (new continent) set up ages past to prevent the end of the world. They always work covertly and have many spies) They bring about Lavinias destruction by
A) sending the wylfwynd (sp?) clan to sacrifice one of their members against Silvium, thereby cancelling the peace treaty the Lavinians had with them and causing the loss of the city (the events in "the fall of Silvinium")
B) implanting a vision in a marauder named Alfhelm (the early events in "Alfhelm the wise"), and
C) sparking a rebel attack on the grain isle (a river delta and breadbasket for central Lavinium, Based near Ceresia) while the legionaries are away , setting fire to the fields when the remaining garrison forces enter to engage the bandits.

This last scenario is played from the perspective of Luke, the only legionary left at the garrison, who is only able to recruit bowmen, auxiliary and river calves. He spots the windsong skyrunner setting fire to the fields. He and some of his forces escape but the fields - and the stores - are all lost to the fire. Knowing that he and his men face execution if they return, he sends the surviving citizens to the nearest city and gives chase up the river (next scenario) of the mysterious figure.

Eventually (next scenario) they corner her in a tunnel, but she bring the roof down by destroying the central pillar. (storyimages i am going to do custom); somehow he escapes, but is near death. He looks up to find the Skyrunner watching him. She removes her hood and he asks her name, then collapses. A second windsong clanner appears next to her and states "The council may have erred in their judgement. I do not think that ones as weak as these could have been the threat foretold."

He does not die here as he becomes a hero for another faction (Not human. I am thinking wargs or something. Suggestions are welcome)

From this point on, the player is able to choose (via a nifty little scenario I designed) which characters story to continue.

Anyway. The campaign results in the Orcei (creatures created for the Lavinians to fight in their arenas) gaining their freedom and carving out a large territory. They latter become the Orcs that we all love and hate. NOTE: there were already bands of Orcs who had escaped, but the majority remained captive by the Lavinians. (I am not 100% sure on this. PLEASE PM me if you are a faction maintainer and know better)

So that is it. Humans created (as far as I can tell) the Orcs for their amusement. The windsong inadvertently released them, only for them to (many years later) conquer the majority of the old continent, the green Isle and start on Wesnoth. This leads into the campaign I am making after this one where the Windsong return to correct their mistake (during the age of the downfall of Wesnoth. Set after son of black eye)

As you can see, I am trying to link it in as much a possible so I want to have everything right.

Please PM me if you know anything that might be helpful.

P.S. I will be working a couple of hours a day on this, so it won't stall like my last one :)
edit changed around some of the details to better fit the referred campaigns
PPS, The later details of the campaign are not completed. I intend for there to be a weakening organised for the Marauders, (perhaps have Alf have a cameo?) The campaign is set over nearly 60 - 70 years so.. (I am assuming that the windsong live longer than the average human)
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

You seem to be interested in making a campaign that takes place in the Imperial Era, correct? Or are you simply going to take IE factions. There is a difference.

The Imperial Era is part of a world known as Orbivm, and any campaign in it should be fairly consistent with the rest. Check out the Orbivm wiki for more information. The Orbivm forums are currently down.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Is there going to be an IE RPG era with the next release of IE? EE has done it for a while and EoM has just added it. I do think that EE RPG is used almost as much as standard EE, especially in 1.2.x with Survival Extreme. I think it would increase IE's use.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Aethaeryn wrote:Is there going to be an IE RPG era with the next release of IE? EE has done it for a while and EoM has just added it. I do think that EE RPG is used almost as much as standard EE, especially in 1.2.x with Survival Extreme. I think it would increase IE's use.
I know of no plans for such a thing. Ask Turin.
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

Ah! I did not even know there was a wiki! thankyou very much, it has been helpful. I see now that orcs had already existed :oops: I will have to re write the mid/latter parts. As for why the Windsong are involved, they are (IIRC) the oldest faction, living in secret beyond the north sea in their foundation. Their purpose is to prevent the end of the world by destroying any nation that becomes too powerful. (They believe that if one nation conquers the entire world, then the world shall end)

As far as I can tell, please correct me if I am wrong, the world of Orbivm is a prequel to the world of wesnoth, as the west folk, and the people of the green Isle are said to have fled from there (hinted that they were driven out by the orcs and Sidhe).
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

No, Orbivm is completely isolated from wesnoth. Not even different planets, different universes. For example wesnoth (despite UtBS) doesn't have any gods/religion. Orbivm does, there are very clearly gods who created the world.

Where does it say that the Wesfolk were driven out of the Old Continent by the Sidhe? I haven't heard of that. Note however, that there are also Sidhe in wesnoth, although they have differences to those in Orbivm.

Also, the windsong are not in Orbivm (at least not yet). And it's the marauders that destroy the Lavinian empire.

And as for Orcs escaping from the Lavinians, there is a campaign currently being worked on called "Fly From Fighting" where precisely that happens.

I hope I've been able to tie up any lose ends.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Seeing as Urs just pointed you towards the wiki, I might as well make this announcement now...

The Orbivm wiki is now located at http://orbivm.wiki-site.com/index.php/Main_Page.

All of the data previously on the pbwiki.com site has been ported over. The new wiki also has some (not much) new stuff. Over time, of course, they'll diverge more and more; the pbwiki site will eventually be rather inaccurate, I suspect.

Why the change? As I used the pbwiki software more and more I grew to dislike it more and more, and mediawiki seems like a good alternative - it's what Wikipedia uses, the formatting is fairly standard, and it has many more features.

---

On to your actual campaign proposal... well, whether you'll want to set it in the World of Orbivm (as opposed to just using the IE factions) seems to all hinge on whether or not the Windsong are going to be in Orbivm. I've never seen that proposed before, and from what I've read about the Windsong, they don't particularly interest me, so I haven't put any effort into deciding whether or not they'd fit. Honestly, I doubt it. Am I correct in understanding that they are essentially a group of magic-users that acts as a sort of hidden force secretly driving all of history? That sounds rather similar to the Bene Gesserit from Dune, but doesn't really fit with the direction Orbivm's going in.

----

I might as well note here too that the Orbivm forums are still down, and I have no way of knowing when jconserv.net will get its act together - perhaps never. So we're not going to be staying there for long. If I can't get on and get an archive of the forum data sometime in the next week, we're going to just go ahead and start a new forum without importing the old one. Unfortunate, but I think necessary. If it ever does come back up we can always copy over the still-relevant posts.
Last edited by turin on December 2nd, 2007, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

No, they are not driving all of history, they aren't that powerful. They only emerge once every couple of thousands of years to initiate the downfall of a nation they believe has gotten to strong. They aren't always right and they don't always succeed. (though they would like to believe that this is the case). I wrote up the description before I learned of the wiki, and now that I have read it, I have/am going to make some large changes to my campaign.

Basically, I have decided to make the group that interferes be a rogue group that then becomes trapped on Orbivm. The campaign follows about 6 different leaders, some major (like the eventual leader of the biggest Orcie rebellion and Naria, one of the trapped windsong) and a few minor people trying to survive (ie, not in big battles listed in the history but small bands of people). Not everyone lives and the decisions you make effect than.

Might it be better for me to just use the factions and then, if people like the campaign enough, change it to fit the history?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

henkutsu wrote:Might it be better for me to just use the factions and then, if people like the campaign enough, change it to fit the history?
Perhaps. I'll definitely check out the campaign if you do so, and give feedback on it.

Incidentally, was my comparison to the Bene Gesserit at all accurate? Just wondering. If you haven't read Dune, you can't really say, but...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

No, Orbivm is completely isolated from wesnoth. Not even different planets, different universes. For example wesnoth (despite UtBS) doesn't have any gods/religion. Orbivm does, there are very clearly gods who created the world.
Ah! Sorry I missed that.

In that case, I may just use the faction for now and see how things turn out.

btw, yes I have read all the Dune books (and own them, and the original movies, and the games and...) but no, they are not like the Bene Gesserit. No one is supposed to know of their existence, and the DON'T like having to meddle. Meddling attracts attention, and attention might result in either their destruction, or becoming a powerful nation. Either of these outcomes would defeat their purpose.

Also, yes, it was the marauders who took down lavinium, windsong simply gave them a little shove and engineered some small hardships to weaken the Laviniums (in the cannon of my campaign. None of the affected factions are even aware that the windsong rebels interfered.) :twisted:

edit
Btw, turin, you are one of my favorite campaign writers. I hope you aren't offended by my idea. If you are, I'll set the campaign in a completely different universe with the factions and have it work out that way.
lachlanTheMad wrote:I have a premonition of imminent pain..
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It's an interesting idea, I just don't think it fits well with the rest of Orbivm's history - not just on a purely factual level, which could of course be amended, but also in that Orbivm's history is, I guess, more straightforward, and the idea of a secret organization behind the scenes that's manipulating things doesn't really fit. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it seems to me that the Windsong are an interesting idea for a story, but for a story that doesn't take place in Orbivm.

Though, I do plan on playing the campaign if you make it, and I might turn out to be wrong in saying the Windsong don't fit well into Orbivm. We'll see.

I've had a bunch of ideas like that myself, incidentally - I actually have about four different non-intersecting fantasy world ideas running around in my head right now in addition to Orbivm; I don't connect them because they're just different in flavor. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but there you have it.
The World of Orbivm
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

I kinda liked the old wiki more. Will the new one still get those unit-advancement charts? Those were really cool, and I liked how I could always get an overview on the sprites still needing my care, which ones were done, etc...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Urs wrote:Will the new one still get those unit-advancement charts? Those were really cool, and I liked how I could always get an overview on the sprites still needing my care, which ones were done, etc...
Yes, I just have to figure out exactly how they're done using mediawiki - the syntax for tables is slightly different. I'm busy tonight and tomorrow with schoolwork, but I'll hopefully get to it Tuesday or Wednesday.

Do you dislike the organization of the new wiki, or the mediawiki software itself? I prefer mediawiki to pbwiki, which is why I made the change, but don't think that the new format of the wiki is set in stone - and feel free to make major edits. After all, if I really dislike your change I'll revert it. But I usually agree with the changes you make.

BTW, the orbivm forums on exong.net have been set up... we probably should move this discussion there.
The World of Orbivm