The Dark Elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

I'll give it a try

eventually
diekil

Post by diekil »

man this is really nice and i love the cmpaign
:D

Greets diekil
shinryuu

Post by shinryuu »

Blimey Turin, you're english second language?! Your mastery of the tongue would put just about any internet denizen to shame...
But not to hijack the thread again:

I am skilled enough to animate units, and I have some free time. I'll see what I can do with the bases posted here, but is there a more complete list, maybe in the CVS depository?
America is a melting pot; the scum floats to the top and the people at the bottom get burned.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Assasin wrote: The main reason is that it doesn't look right with dark skin. The face blends in with the rest of the body, and we couldn't quite find the right color.
If that's the only reason, then that's not much of a reason. You have to give them highlights, such as white hair and gold-trimming on their clothing. Otherwise they're would just be a dull-colored blob.

On the other hand, I agree that a complete skin color change from light to dark would make little sense based on the history you have established for them.
Attachments
(highlights prevent dark blurring into dark) non-GPL example image
(highlights prevent dark blurring into dark) non-GPL example image
26.jpg (19.9 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Wow! :o someone actually posted here :o
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Sapient wrote:
Assasin wrote: The main reason is that it doesn't look right with dark skin. The face blends in with the rest of the body, and we couldn't quite find the right color.
If that's the only reason, then that's not much of a reason. You have to give them highlights, such as white hair and gold-trimming on their clothing. Otherwise they're would just be a dull-colored blob.

On the other hand, I agree that a complete skin color change from light to dark would make little sense based on the history you have established for them.

I always thought Drow and Dark Elves were something completely different.

Dark Elves -> Normal elves that decided to be EVILLL

Drow -> Black Elves :)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Alks

Post by Alks »

It depends, Neo.

Mainly we can distinguish two popular ideas of Dark Elves:

a) Warhammer Dark Elves

"Normal" elves, living in snowy land of Naggaroth, twisted and evil - in terms of military - riding lizards, heavily armored, and naval power(corsairs).

b) Forgotten Realms Dark Elves

Worshipping spider goddess, underground, dark-skinned elves with white hairs.

Other interesting variations of "dark" elves are Feist's moredhels and Earthdawn Blood Elves.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Well Tolkien's Dark Elves are merely Elves that didn't go on the great journey West, to the lands of Valinor. They weren't evil (Just kinda lazy :P ).
Garm

Post by Garm »

My opinion about elfs and drows are.

Dark elfs: blackhaired elfs, evil

Drow: Deamon/elfs white hair black skin. evil.
Veni vidi vici
Sithar Val

Post by Sithar Val »

hey great new race i am new in all this but i download the campaing today
(A New Threat) and you cant see the dark elf fighter is there a new campaing to download or something? help pls
ILikeProgramming

There shouldn't be a problem with it...

I last updated the campaign several months ago, mainly due to the lack of contributers, scripters, time, and imagination. Also, I have the development branch of Wesnoth, so I can't access the old campaign server.
Garion

Post by Garion »

The All Factions Era in the old campaign server is somehow missing the Dark Elf movetypes. I combed this thread and got them for myself, but they're not playable in the stable release without looking here or making up your own movetype stats.
freddy910

Post by freddy910 »

Yeah, I can't see the Dark Elf Fighter either on the stable version.
Everything else appears fine though. =)
ILikeProgramming

The dark elves aren't updated for the stable version. I'll continue the campaign in unstable soon.

To Assasin and Ryorin: Are you still here? Otherwise, I'll continue scripting without you
Maddinio

Post by Maddinio »

How can i use the dark-elves in the game?