The Dark Elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Assasin

The Dark Elves

Post by Assasin »

The original thread was over 18 pages long, and I kept getting asked the same questions. So by the suggestion of Disto, I'm creating a new one. The old one will be locked soon, and I will attempt to bring to date everything we have done on this page, and explain the Dark Elves, who and what they are, and how they came to be.

Belwar is the principle author of the Dark Elves. It was his idea first to make a new race, yet the idea of another faction to balance didn't appeal to most of the developers, so we decided to make a user campagin. ILikeProgramming is doing the coding work, minus the units. Warrior King is doing the artwork, and Belwar is doing the maps. I am working on the dialog and events and getting the units balanced. Plus the support of many others.

Now the Dark Elves are evil Elves. Big surprise, huh? Someone told me that they are acctually Orcs, but the Wesnoth Orcs don't exactly fit the picture of Elves. They were once Wood Elves, but sought power, and studied the Arcane Arts, which eventually leads to the power of the undead. The wood elves outnumbered them, and attempted to drive them away from their lands. Even though they were outmanned, the battle lasted 3 days, and finnally they were pushed into a cave, and the entrance magically sealed forever. The Dark Elves fought amongest themselves at first, eventually, after 100 years, some form of government was formed by a Dark Elf named Lorant. The land was divided into different Houses, and each House was governed by the Matron Mother, think of her as the Queen Bee. The first 10 houses are THE houses. Anything lower is of no real concenquence. To gain power, you must fully destroy the family of the next House up. The soldiers of their army are composed of common Dark Elves that requested entrance into a house. After passing trials they are admitted in. The units and the tech tree will be posted further down.

But enough about the Dark Elves, I don't want to give away too much. Now on to the progress. Well, it's been slow. With only Warrior King doing the art work, and with no training, it's been difficult. We only have the lvl 1 Fighter partially done, and the Warrior and Corsair barely even started on. All the coding for the units are done, it's just changing the stats that has left to be done. I have only completed the first 4 scenarios, and Belwar is working on the maps. Not much has been done.

And that is where we are today. If I did not explain enough about the Dark Elves, just post a question and I'll do my best to answer it. I'm posting the units and artwork that we have completed, and along with a version of Wesnoth with the beta version of the Dark Elf campagin. None of the maps are correct, and some of the dialog is wrong, but it does have the jist of it. Don't download unless you are computer savy, as it may cause problems with your origanal version of Wesnoth. I'd place the actual campagin file, but it is a little complicated on how to add it. Any help that anyone has to offer would be great.
Last edited by Assasin on July 15th, 2005, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

You forgot to mention that these Dark Elves are not like those of D&D. They will not have dark skin, so stop commenting on it!

Not that I really care, but I figured its best to have that be the 2nd post in the thread so you don't keep getting people saying "why don't these elves have dark skin like those in D&D?" or "They would look better with dark skin." ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

lol, that was the major reason I wanted to make a new thread. How could I forget that?

The main reason is that it doesn't look right with dark skin. The face blends in with the rest of the body, and we couldn't quite find the right color. Another reason is we wanted them to be different from the other Dark Elves. They are very similar to the Wood Elves, and there was no reason other then the magic they practice for their skin to become darker. And since not all DE pracitice magic, not all would have dark skin. So KISS.

Assasin

Post by Assasin »

I tried to add the artwork and units earlier, but it locked up my browser. Hear they are.

lilepo2023

Post by lilepo2023 »

can i request elves with blue skin...?
im sinning but im winning at the same time/took a couple shots from a coward tryin ta take mine/back in the hood wit a chopper an a tech nine... im doin 100 on the hi way/u doin the speed limit then get the f*ck outta my way...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

lilepo2023 wrote:can i request elves with blue skin...?

:P either that, or we're talking about warcraft's night elves
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

You sir, have made a savage reply.

I shall worship you for ephimeral moments in front of my monitor.

Yeah. You can all delete this post if you want to. This is just gas.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

lilepo2023 wrote:can i request elves with blue skin...?
turin wrote: these Dark Elves are not like those of D&D. They will not have dark skin, so stop commenting on it!
You win at life, Jetryl. I almost died laughing.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Well, apart from their skin, they seem a lot like D&D Dark Elves, with the Matron Mothers and the Houses (ok, you don't have 8 like Menzobarranzan, you have 10, but still). And I gather they ride on lizards, with is pretty much out of the Salvatore, too... so it shouldn't be that big a surprise if people keep expecting them to look like D&D elves, too.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

The only Dark Elves I heard of were from Belwar. I did some minor tweaking on the story, decided that they SHOULD NOT HAVE DARK SKIN, and that they would have a nice round number of 10 top houses. Besides, I dislike D&D.

Faello

Post by Faello »

Assasin wrote:... Besides, I dislike D&D.
What a pity :? , maybe you will change your mind and we will have DE with PROPER colour of skin :roll:

Just teasing :P
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Hello

Post by Hello »

i made this in a few min from an elvish archer so its nothing special but wut do u think
Attachments
darkelf-mage.png
darkelf-mage.png (3.78 KiB) Viewed 12615 times
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I think an elf went to the Dark side of the Undead :shock: .

Looks very good.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

It looks like the start of the Cleric to me. If you want to help, put her into a purple and black dress, add a cape, give her long black hair, and get rid of the boots and add some shoes.

ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Here are some images, for testing a campaign with no images means searching the entire map to find them. :( Some of them are made by me.
Attachments
images.zip
(20.79 KiB) Downloaded 981 times