Roman legion type faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

appleide

Post by appleide »

EDIT: Doesnt matter now...
Last edited by appleide on August 12th, 2005, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Say, let's try and brainstorm a name for a romanesque people within the world of wesnoth. In Conan's "The Hyborean Age," there was a relatively similar situation with a people known as the "Aquilonians".

I'd like to do the same thing, basically - to come up with a name for a made-up country - a name which itself sounds roman in nature, and represents a nation of people in our fantasy world which are basically a lift of the roman culture - not unlike the way our current loyalists are basically a lift of an idealised medieval culture.
Disto

Post by Disto »

turin wrote:Actually, I'll just tune down the Roman's power more. I would really prefer to have these factions playable against those in Default. ;)

Unfortunately, tomorrow I leave for a week. So why don't you make edits to my stats and post another .zip with all your changes while I'm gone?

[edit]
well, before I leave, here's one last stats update. I fixed some stuff in the marauderfoot and foresterfoot types (mainly incorrect resistance to holy), and make the auxiliaryfoot have worse resistances. I also powered down the Auxiliary and the Numidian Horseman.
Ok, i've got my own version of it which has fixed all that i've found so i'll just copy all the new stats for the romans.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Disto

Post by Disto »

unsung wrote:1.Right now this doesn't work on MP, it gives the other players a unit not found error and boots them. it was the propugnator that is said it couldn't find.

2. against the AI the romans and marauders are both over powerful against the loyalists, easily killing them, even in castles (maruaders aren't quite so overpowered when attacking castles). elves are better against romans but still weak. I don't know how elves are against maraduers. but either way, the romans and maraduers are overpowered when not fighting each other.
3. the light infantry and roarius are especially overpowered. I think that setting the roarious's resistances to -20% and/or reducing his attacks by 1 or 2 damage and reducing the light infantrymans attack by 1 damage would be good.

4. axeman still has the same level up error of not being able to find the level up choice mounted axeman and the marauder raiders images are not showing up for some reason.
and the last error I have found so far is with the roman skirmisher's skirmish ability not working.
1.It boots the other player because they don't have the units... all they need to do is download the era, but we'd need to put it on the campaign server first.

2. The elves have a much better game against the Marauders then the loyalists do, i was playing charge earlier and it got fairly tight. But that might be because of some of the balancing i've done to them, if you have any balancing ideas about the Romans it would be very appreciated. Also about the Marauders but i'm handling that so not really that necessary.

3. I've reduced the Light infantry by 1 damage and the Roarious by 2. I personally never let them advance. :P Changing the resistances is possible but it'd be a pain...

4.This is where i am roads ahead of Turin, having fixed all these problems. The first 1, wa s Turin put it the upgrade as Mounted Axeman without changing it's id, so to it it was Marauder Mounted Axeman. The Raider's image name was marauder-slave-raider.png whereas he has put it down as marauder-raider.png. And the Roman skirmisher's skirmisher ability was as ability=skirmish which should have been ability=skirmisher, just a slight typo or misunderstanding.

As it's my birthday don't work me too hard. 8)

Ok looks like Wesnoth needs another hacker to delete all the attachments and make some file space.

Here we are.... better work....

http://www.stbedes.biblio.net/cgi-bin/m ... net;part=2
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Whaddayaknow. I thought I was leaving early in the morning, but it turns out I leave at about noon.

I've uploaded the era to the server. (After I toned down the Light Infantry a bit). I'll change the Light Infantry and Rorarius too, if I have time. Once I get back, I'll check this thread and make any other changes needed. Have fun!
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Hey here is my 2 cents.

I'm usually very vary about new factions and the like, but looking over this I really like it. Not that it could ever be included in the default era, but its very cool and innovative. I'm sure we could figure out something to do with it though. Two very big thumbs up.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I think these can be used in a good historical campaign about the rise and fall of Rome.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Disto

Post by Disto »

The Romans bring destruction and conquest from the south, and the Marauders bring destruction from the north.... you could do it in say 2 chapters. That way it'd be easier, it'd be cool if you could decide which side you wanted to play in them. So you could be the Empires or the little losers they take out. Like at the start, you could decide which faction to be, out of 3. Like have 1 empire already built and set in the middle, which is slowly crumbling. And then the Marauders in the north defending their lands then conquering or the Romans in the south attacking up and building up their own empire. You probably could do a lot of cool things using WML, you could even choose the Hardness as a setting, i believe a campaign already uses that window to pick. Like having the empire of whatever being easy and then the Romans going up, it would at least be innovative, and you probably could do some funky stuff with WML to do something to show the territories on a map. Hey i'm just here chucking out ideas.
Creator of the Marauders
unsung

Post by unsung »

disto, if th elink you gave was to download changes, I can't use it.
(just noticed that there's an attachment at the bottom of the page)
did turin make the changes you did to fix the errors in the campaign server version?

MP doesn't boot you with things like the high seas era, I know that becuase I don't have it and I can play games where its the set era so, why is it booting people who don't have the classical era downloaded?

I think it would be better for a choice between the marauders or romans only, rather than three choices because that would be bug filled, it would never be finished, and every time a new version of wesnoth came out, someone would have to play through all 3 sides to make sure it still worked.
have the third kingdom be something that is inevitably captured by either side, depending on which one people are playing as. I think th ewhole territories thing would be, um, bad. unless it was kind of like how turin had the huge world mapish thing for saving elensfar where a village (or maybe a keep for large military positions) was usd as a terrioty and if you stepped on one, you woul dhave to fight someone, but set up so that there were a few you have to take and a few you don't. with two ultimate goals, to kill the kingdom that everyone wants, and then to destroy the other faction. youd have cave walls to force people to take the kingdom in the middle before they could attack the other faction, as well as to make them take a few specific places. the other faction woould hav ea certain location that you had to take to defeat them..... and stuff.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DISTO! :!:
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

My opinion on the Roman-like faction is this:

They are to the East of Wesnoth, East of a great desert. They have built a powerful empire -- much more powerful than Wesnoth is. However, the desert has protected the people of Wesnoth from conquest by them.

However, an interesting campaign could be one where they work out a way to cross the desert to attack Wesnoth.

They tend to abhor the use of magic, and pride military might and tactics above everything else.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

And they get defeated by Wesnoth's elite corps of Great Mages. :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Disto

Post by Disto »

unsung wrote:disto, if th elink you gave was to download changes, I can't use it.
(just noticed that there's an attachment at the bottom of the page)
did turin make the changes you did to fix the errors in the campaign server version?

MP doesn't boot you with things like the high seas era, I know that becuase I don't have it and I can play games where its the set era so, why is it booting people who don't have the classical era downloaded?

I think it would be better for a choice between the marauders or romans only, rather than three choices because that would be bug filled, it would never be finished, and every time a new version of wesnoth came out, someone would have to play through all 3 sides to make sure it still worked.
have the third kingdom be something that is inevitably captured by either side, depending on which one people are playing as. I think th ewhole territories thing would be, um, bad. unless it was kind of like how turin had the huge world mapish thing for saving elensfar where a village (or maybe a keep for large military positions) was usd as a terrioty and if you stepped on one, you woul dhave to fight someone, but set up so that there were a few you have to take and a few you don't. with two ultimate goals, to kill the kingdom that everyone wants, and then to destroy the other faction. youd have cave walls to force people to take the kingdom in the middle before they could attack the other faction, as well as to make them take a few specific places. the other faction woould hav ea certain location that you had to take to defeat them..... and stuff.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DISTO! :!:
The high seas works as it uses units which are in the standard Wesnoth release, first thing, they wouldn't be able to see the units. and secondly the other person could be cheating. I don't know what Turin did but he hasn't given me the password so i can't actually change anything already on the server. But the attachment i've posted fixes all know errors and has balancing for the Marauders and the Romans, but only what you suggested.
Creator of the Marauders
Attila

Post by Attila »

MadMax wrote:I think these can be used in a good historical campaign about the rise and fall of Rome.
The rise and fall might be kind of hard because it wouldn't make sense to recall troops, but something like the Punic wars, or Caesar's conquests in Gaul, or the civil wars in the late republic might be fun.

I personallly was toying with the idea of making a 2 or 3 scenario mini campaign about Caesar trying to conquer Britain.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I can not quite safely, but say that the Marauders are now nearly-balanced, i played the Metoer lake or whatever it's called against the Loyalists and had a really tough time, especially asit's more inclined to the Marauders as it is covered in forest which they defend in either good or average, and they can move through it quickly.
Creator of the Marauders
unsung

Post by unsung »

I havent been able otread posts or playtest for th epast few days, sinceI was on a staff trip white water rafting. I'll get your attachment disto, and play test them as musch as possible next week when work ends and I'm home all day.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?