Roman legion type faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

unsung

Roman legion type faction

Post by unsung »

I think we should a faction similar to the legions. it wiuld add vaerity to the humans who only seem to have one army. it would b emostly light infantry and would be able to recurit units with leadership, reflecting the well organized nature of the legions. I have thought of one unit so far and I don't think it would be too hard to think of more, since you could just read a history book and many of us already know a lot about the legions.

this is what ive thought of:
Legionary
lawfull
sword 6-4 meele
pillia(spear like) 5-1 ranged (pierce) slow
6 moves
10%resistance to blade
50% defence on plains
60% mountains,villages,castles
30%defence in forest
would adavance eventually but not sure how much XP or into what.
The pillia would have slow because when thrown it would hit the enemys shield, get stuck and bend down wards causing the shield to be heavier and harder to use as well as possibly causing the enemy to trip when they ran.

The 50%resistance on th eplains just reflects on the effectiveness of legions in that terrain. If it becomes an issue for balanceing it could be removed.
EDIT: I want to note that I DO NOT mean fo rthis to be srtictly historical. what I do mena is following the style of the legions.
Last edited by unsung on July 8th, 2005, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I wonder how far can we go on factions ideas...

Oh well, it's GPL.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Goatfoam

Post by Goatfoam »

Legionaire -> Centurion (Leadership)?
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:I wonder how far can we go on factions ideas...

Oh well, it's GPL.
Well ideas are good but graphics or someone who does them would be better.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

There could be different periods in Wesnoth:

The Antic Ages (with those legionaires)
The standard Wesnoth
Renaissance (Casual User's idea)
Jedi (Nicolas' idea)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Also, the legions were good on clean land, so maybe 50% for grassland.

Are you adding their archers and cavalry?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Goatfoam wrote:Legionaire -> Centurion (Leadership)?
A legion is a group of centuries, so shouldn't the Legionnaire be more powerful?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

What?

IIRC, a legionnaire was someone who was in a legion, i.e. a common soldier. A centurion was someone who commanded a group of 100 legionnaires. There were several centuries in a legion, yes, but that doesn't mean there were several centurions under a legionnaire...

[edit]
From Wikipedia:
Legionary Officers

Senior Officers

* Legatus Legionis: The overall Legionary commander. This post was generally appointed by the emperor to a man who was a former Tribune and held command for 3 or 4 years, although could serve for a much longer period. In a province with only one legion, the Legatus was also the provincial governor and in provinces with multiple legions, each legion has a Legatus and the provincial governor has overall command of them all.

* Tribunus Laticlavius: Named for the broad striped toga worn by men of senatorial rank, this tribune was appointed by the Emperor or the Senate. Though generally quite young and less experienced than the Tribuni Angusticlavii, he served as second in command of the legion, behind the Legate.

* Praefectus Castrorum: The camp Prefect. Generally he was a long serving veteran who had been promoted through the ranks of the centurions and was 3rd in overall command.

* Tribuni Angusticlavii: Each legion had 5 military tribunes of equestrian (knight) class citizens. They were in many cases career officers and served many of the important administrative tasks of the Legion, but still served in a full tactical command function during engagements.

* Primus Pilus: The "First File" or "First Spear" was the commanding centurion of the first cohort and the senior centurion of the entire Legion. When the Primus Pilus retired he was guaranteed entry into the Equestrian Class. He was paid 60 times the base wage.

Mid-Level Officers

* Centurions: Each Legion had 59 or 60 centurions, one to command each century of the 10 cohorts. They were the backbone of the professional army and were the career soldiers who ran the day to day life of the soldiers as well as issuing commands in the field. They were generally moved up from the ranks, but in some cases could be direct appointments from the Emperor or other higher ranking officials. The cohorts were ranked from the First to the Tenth and the Century within each cohort ranked from 1 to 6, with only 5 Century in the First Cohort (For a total of 59 Centurions and the Primus Pilus). The Century that each Centurion commanded was a direct reflection of his rank. (Command of the First Century of the First Cohort was the highest and the 6th Century of the 10th Cohort was the lowest). The 5 Centurions of the First Cohort were called the Primi Ordines (paid 30 times the base wage), and included the Primus Pilus. The Pilus Prior was the commander of the first Century of each Cohort.

Low-Level Officers

* Aquilifer: A single position within the Legion. The Aquilifer was the Legion's Standard or Eagle bearer and was an enormously important and prestigious position. Losing the aquila (eagle) was considered a great dishonor. The next step up would be a post as a Centurion. Paid twice the basic wage.

* Signifer: Each Century had a Signifer (59). He was responsible for the men's pay and savings, and the standard bearer for the Centurial Signum, a spear shaft decorated with medallions and often topped with an open hand to signify the oath of loyalty taken by the soldiers. It was this banner that the men from each individual Century would rally around. A soldier could also gain the position of Discentes signiferorum, or standard bearer in training. Paid twice the basic wage.

* Optio: One for each Centurion (59), they were appointed by the Centurion from within the ranks to act as his second in command. Paid twice the basic wage.

* Tesserarius: (Guard Commander) Again there were 59 of these, or one for each Century. They acted seconds to the Optios. Paid one and a half times the basic wage.

* Cornicen: (Horn blower) They worked hand in hand with the Signifer drawing the attention of the men to the Centurial Signum and issuing the audible commands of the officers.

* Imaginifer: Carried the Standard bearing the image of the Emperor as a constant reminder of the troop's loyalty to him.
Last edited by turin on July 9th, 2005, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:What?
Whoopsies, I must have been mixed up. Those *are* confusing names.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
unsung

Post by unsung »

wayfarer wrote:
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I wonder how far can we go on factions ideas...

Oh well, it's GPL.
Well ideas are good but graphics or someone who does them would be better.
not my strong suit, sorry.
yes, I would ad the archers and calvalry.
unsung

Post by unsung »

Goatfoam wrote:Legionaire -> Centurion (Leadership)?
that or it could become a champion (one of the really powerfull guys who was everyones hero in that time.)
unsung

Post by unsung »

Tux2B wrote:There could be different periods in Wesnoth:

The Antic Ages (with those legionaires)
The standard Wesnoth
Renaissance (Casual User's idea)
Jedi (Nicolas' idea)
isn't this sort of what we have in the different eras?
well if this faction doesn't happen then I think th eunit should be used for the loyalists.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

unsung wrote:
wayfarer wrote: Well ideas are good but graphics or someone who does them would be better.
not my strong suit, sorry.
yes, I would ad the archers and calvalry.
I quess this is the biggest problem for all new factions. It´s a huge amount of work I know that because I´m trieing it.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
scott

Post by scott »

Turin wrote:A bunch of latin
At least the higher level names should be taken care of
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Here is my proposed tree for the Legionnaire:

Code: Select all

Legionnaire -> Optio    -> Centurion
            -> Signifer -> Aquilifer
The Signifer branch would have leadership, but the Optio branch would be better at fighting.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm