Roman legion type faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Disto wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:Well, Dave's "turtle" idea is based on actual Roman tactics. Still, the turtle formation took about a dozen guys, I think. If we give the Romans some such ability, it should only be operative when the unit is adjacent to another friendly unit.

Also, the main strength of the Legions was flexibility and adaptibility. The main strength of a Phalanx was near-invulnerability to frontal attacks. Very different formations. Let's not mix metaphors.
If they are virtually invincible from frontal attacks historically but in danger from other formations, give them a ability that if they were adjacent to a friendly unit then they took 1/2 damage but, they could be flanked and would get as if they were backstabbed even if they attacker doesn't have the ability. Good idea?

Also make sure the centurions have leadership and give them a level 4. Because historically the romans got smashed without good leadership.
Man. You try to be clear, but people still misunderstand. I said the Greek Phalanx was good against frontal attacks, not the Roman Legion! The Roman Legion's strength, when it was used effectively, was flexibility and adaptibility. A Legion is not a Phalanx; a Phalanx is not a Legion!

Oh well, mix-ups happen.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Sorry.... well you can use that idea for the phalanxe
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Disto wrote:Sorry.... well you can use that idea for the phalanxe
And a Greek Phalanx faction would also be very interesting, especially if it were made to reflect the army of Alexander the Great.

And what you have suggested is a very good way to reflect the strengths and weaknesses of the phalanx

But to best reflect the Phalanx, we would have to modify the idea somewhat: When a number of hoplites are standing in a row, each hoplite gives a defensive bonus to the soldier to his left. The guy standing on the right flank gets no bonus! This is based on a passage in Thucydides which I can never seem to find again.
unsung

Post by unsung »

I honestly think that having heals instead of illuminates is a bad idea. it does not sound as fun or as accurate as illuminate, and it makes little sense as the singifiers aren't magical and they aren't doctors. far from it. having heals in the faction somewhere doesn't bother me, but I don't think that this is the best way to implement it.

Ive lost track of what the tree is currently planned to be, (topic gained a lot of pages in not a lot of time) could someone show me?

I downloaded the era and faction that you posted in this topic turin, but I don't know how to get it to work in wesnoth or how to even open it at all.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

turin wrote:The current tree, AFAICT, is:

Code: Select all

Legionnaire-> Propugnator -> Praetorian Guard
                          -> Centurion
           -> Signifier-> Aquilifier 
Auxiliary Horse -> Eques Socius -> Eques Foederatus
Militia -> Light Infantry -> Veles
        -> Slinger -> Funditor
        -> Skirmisher -> Rorarius
In addition, we could perhaps have a (mounted) officer line:

Patrician -> Tribune -> Proconsul

And, if we are set on a historical era for this and several other factions, why not revive my original suggestions for the names of the cavalry line:

Auxiliary Horse -> Numidian Claimant -> Numidian Champion

I see no reason to avoid the historically-inspired names if this is in its own historical era!
unsung

Post by unsung »

thanks. I thought there wa sgoing to be a branch of legioanree that was a champion type. doesn't matter though.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

unsung wrote:thanks. I thought there wa sgoing to be a branch of legioanree that was a champion type. doesn't matter though.
Never fear! "Propugnator" is the Latin for "champion." Someone asked, so I looked it up and it stuck.
dtw

Post by dtw »

Sorry about the phalanx thing - that was my bad - i thought it was roman!

BUT - should it be tortoise - not turtle. The Americans and their perversion of the English language weren't around then...then again the closest latin I can find is Testudo and the formation was known by this name apparantly.

I also found a site that supposedly depicts a typical legionnaire's attack which involved a forward push with the shield then a jab:

http://www.romans-in-britain.org.uk/mil ... actics.htm

I live very close to an old roman palace and so our local kids do lots of roman stuff. i just found a website by some of the kids with the coolest animated gif

Also, as someone mentioned, they were heavily reliant on leadership - maybe this should be reflected by low damage which relies on "leadership" to boost it. i think we are back to the old "standard bearer/bard" debate tho if we aren't careful. We it be possible to have a cheap level one bearer that could lead level 1 troops but had little offensive/defensive strength?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
dtw

Post by dtw »

Do you guys got a javlineer as well?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

dibblethewrecker wrote:Do you guys got a javlineer as well?
Well, no, but all of the Legionnaire tree except the Signifer branch gets javelins.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
dtw

Post by dtw »

I guess that's a plan then :)

What about my latin name research - any merits for that?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

dibblethewrecker wrote:I guess that's a plan then :)

What about my latin name research - any merits for that?
If we include the "testudo" formation (it would have taken a dozen Legionaires, no?), we should certainly use the Latin. I used to know the Latin for "tortoise", thanks for reminding me!
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Homeworld is a cool game!(no this is not random)
Sorry for the meaningless post
unsung

Post by unsung »

yep.
I wish I could play HW2.
I just noticed how many views this topic has..... wow.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I actually only have homeworld 2 lol, it's cool, battleships are awesome, and so are destroyers, sight shows some cool screenshots showing off the graphics, but none of the really awesome battle scenes common in that game
http://www.homeworld2.com/
Sorry for the meaningless post