Faction: Kedari (Arabian Nights-based)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Yes! My Muslim warriors shall soon be riding forth!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Yes! My Muslim warriors shall soon be riding forth!
Not until you make stats for them. ;)

Updated Ifrit line:

And if you are wondering if the djinn fits in the hex: yes, it does. It has about 2 pixels to spare.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

turin wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:Yes! My Muslim warriors shall soon be riding forth!
Not until you make stats for them. ;)
True. Here's the line, with notes about the intended abilities of the units, which would be a necessary starting point for developing their stats.

Code: Select all

Desert Raider -> Spahi -> Ghazi -- sword and bow, good on sand and plains  
               -> Sheik -> Sultan -- gains leadership

Camel Rider -> Cameleer -> Camel Warrior -- wields spear; best on sand and hills (incl. sand hills)

Salik -> Dervish -> Murshid -- healer; has leadership

Ifrit -> Genie -> Djinn -- fire spells; teleports (or would that make him overpowered?)

Ragel (lvl0) -> Hashishan -> Nizari -> Imam of Alamut -- poisoner; has backstab  
             -> Eunuch Guardian -> Eunuch Warder -- wields axe, throws "fire pots"; has steadfast (?)

Light Footman -> Desert Footman -> Elite Desert Footman -- wields sword and bow, has ambush (desert)
So what sorts of statistics would best capture these abilities? Any suggestions? I'm opening it up for comments.

Also, perhaps, rather than giving the sheik-sultan branch leadership, they could improve their skill with the sword while not significantly improving their skill with the bow, in contrast to the Spahi-Ghazi branch, which would be equally adept with both sword and bow.

Personally, I've always wondered if the holy man should be the only unit in this faction with leadership, but didn't have a good idea for differentiating the sheik-sultan branch until now. What do people think?
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Disto wrote:
Emmanovi wrote:Ooops, I modified the wrong Salik. Sorry.

Hmm.. Can you post the new Salik? If I take the one from the tree, It will have no transparency. (And I can't work out how to add transparency like that in GIMP).

I tried editing the Dervish, anyway:
ALl you need to do is select the white around the unit, press ctrl-i (invert), cut the unit it and add it to a new slide with transparency.
Many thanks, master of image editing. *bows*
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Let's start with alignment. I am in favor of giving the Hashashan branch and the Ifrit line chaotic, the Salik and the Eunuch Guardian branch lawful, and the rest neutral.

With leadership, I think it is a good idea to only give the Salik line leadership. However, if we're going to do that, the Sultan line should be separated more than you suggest. Perhaps it should completely lose the bow attack, and use only the sword, plus a shield? That, or we could drop the Sheik branch completely (/me trying to sneak out of work). ;)

I've been wondering, was it right to give the Spahi and Ghazi a lance/spear type thing in addition to their other weapons? IMHO it looks good, and serves to differentiate them from their downgrades, but it might have to be removed.

Anyway, how about you cook up some stats, make .cfgs out of them, and send the .cfgs over to me? I'll then change anything I think should be changed, send them back to you, etc.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

turin wrote:how about you cook up some stats, make .cfgs out of them, and send the .cfgs over to me?
Well, I really should grade about 31 papers and write a paper of my own.

Once I get some work done, I'll work up some stats. However, keep in mind that my first attempt will probably need a lot of adjustment....

Also, if you wanted this faction to have less recruitable units (as you hinted in the More Classical Factions thread), I wouldn't have any problem with making the Salik and perhaps even the Light Footman advance from the Ragel.

Revised Ragel description:

"Many young men of the desert tribes dream of great things. Some choose the path of devotion, some fight to defend their people, some join the feared sect of the assassins, and some sacrifice their manhood for political gain."

Or, alternatively:

"Many young men of the desert tribes dream of great things. Most remain within the accepted boundaries of custom and tradition, but some choose more unorthodox methods."

If this second idea is taken, then the additional detail could be included in the Salik, Light Footman, Hashishan, and Eunuch Guardian descriptions.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on November 28th, 2005, 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Just do it whenever you have time. I'm in no hurry, since most likely you'll be done with stats before I'm done with art.
The World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I added some comments to my previous post.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think the Footman should be it's own line, but the Salik should advance from the Ragel.
The World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Didn't count on being home sick today.

Re-revised Ragel description:

"Many young men of the desert tribes dream of great things. Some walk the path of pious devotion, others join the feared sect of the assassins, and some sacrifice their manhood for political gain."
Garm

Post by Garm »

You Rock Temuchin Khan! :D
Veni vidi vici
unsung

Post by unsung »

If you have camel riders, you may want to consider putting in something about the Bedouin, since they used camels in war (and for just about everythin else.)
Aparrently they were useful against horses due to th estrange smell scaring them, but were slow and huge targets for other things
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, well, I'm going to take a break from the Kedari art and start on a new faction. Someone please tell me if I have promised to do any faction next - if not, I'll just start on whichever one I feel like.

(My reason for this is, the Sheik and Sultan are a branch, and thus can wait, and I've been trying to do the Imam of Alamut for about 2 months now, and I still have no ideas. I'm not going to try to animate these guys, since I'm not good enough to get decent animations and I prefer to have more factions into Imperial than to have fewer, slightly-better-animated factions.)
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, I haven't decided what other faction to do, so I tried to do the Imam one last time. Here's what I got. Is it useable?
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Better looking of the line, i say.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004