Idea for Far East Faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

I thought Samurais and Ninjas were on the same side? They're all soldiers of the Japanese culture/nation.
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

Actually the problem is not there...
Japan and China had historical problems between them... well it is nearly still the case...
But what... the point is that... Chinese had the Kung-Fu fighters, Shaolin monks, etc. etc.

Japan had: Samurais, Ninjas, Shintoist or Budhist (spell?) monks... etc. etc.

That is the difference...
But it is true that putting those 2 factions together will be nearly unbeatable...
The N'EX is in my blood.

[Off from Wesnoth]
Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Shaolin monks are also Buddhists, therefore making them Buddhist monks. But anyway, that's not the point. The point is that you're right.

China has Cho-Ku-Nu infanries, carrying Chinese repeat crossbows, they have Martial Artists, they have warriors in great numbers (Though not necessarily strict Martial Artists).

While Japan has all sorts of armored warriors, with soldiers reliant on skill and speed, agility, dexterity.

Hmm... I didn't know you guys are introducing Buddhism and the Shinto religion into the game.
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

I didn't introduced it... I was just making a point...
The N'EX is in my blood.

[Off from Wesnoth]
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Someone did do some art and cfg's for the Chinese faction, not just for the Japanese one. Does anyone know where those are?
Troy

Post by Troy »

yeah, I have them downloaded somewhere on my pc.
well, all for the better good than for the bad good.

new forum
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

Great... we'll try to do it then... Troy can you find them?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Chinese also had charioteers (at least early on in their warfare). They had basic infantry (using spears, and swords) as well as their crossbow infantry.

Oh, and seige weapons too :)

--just throwing some more ideas out there.:)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

... We'll see... we need to know what is already there...

And... yesterday... there was thunder near my house... the units I made are gone... So can someone else do it? I will edit it after... when my computer will be checked...

EDIT: Computer is checked... all seems to be okay... but the data is not saved...
Genshman

Chinese faction

Post by Genshman »

mmmmh so you guys are making a chinese and a japanese faction...
I could be of some assistance maybe for the chinese side ..... Basically Chinese heavily relied on infantry ... mass infantry equiped most of the times with either a cutluss or chinese straight sword enherited from their fathers ...
For armor they used scale male like armor, made out of cloth + metal plates or leather.
To make something clear ... no not everyone in china could do martial arts...
Actually there were a few martial artist but the common people didn't have the chance to learn martial arts...
The martial artist you read about in the books and see in the movies were called "outlaws" or "traveling fighters" which were common in china but most of them could more be seen as thugs than real warriors and they were a mixed up bunch of people with different equipment and skills who could be a compared with "sellswords" or mercenaries.

To come back to the topic of chinese warfare structure..
They used crossbow men ( Cho Kun Nu http://www.atarn.org/chinese/rept_xbow.htm)
Infantry equiped like said before and chariots, each wagons crew consisting of a driver, a bowmen and a Spear- or Swordspearman. (Swordspear is the chinese equivalent to a Naginata).
In the later eras the chariots were discarded for the more "normadic" cavalary. Armored similare like the infantry, they used heavy swordspears. spears and shortbows later but more rarely crossbows.
Something more rare but still sometimes seen on chinese battelfields were the war elephants. Having two baskets made out of bamboo they had space for several men equiped with crossbows and spears.

Next topic are the shaolin monks.
Trained in hand to hand combat and different weapons of martial arts they were often used as royal guard for the general or king...
The shaolin monks are just one type of monks, so there are several other directions a monk temple could go.. like more spiritual and less martial artisitc (ability of slow maybe? *suggestion*)

This all sounds a little less magical and so on but i guess to add more mystical flair you could consider the chinese legend of the flying horse and so on...

if anyone has questions regarding anything he/she can always pm me...

P.S.: Last thing i forgot there were the early attemps for canons and rockte launchers, too

- a chinese gamer
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

Ok thanks... but if you were to do a technological tree, how would you fit all this?
Genshman

Post by Genshman »

I'll work on it.....
give me a few days... i am quite busy right now but i will think about a techno-tree this weekend..

-Genshman
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

Ok... I would like to have someone doing the tree for the Japanese one... I can't stand that I have always bugs or technical problems when I work on it... But I'll try to do what I can...
So any volunteers to do the Japanese tree?

After we finish (completly) one of them... we'll think of another far east faction^^
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I really really hope the Indian army gets included in this, and it wouldn't be that hard to find info on units, as they have an incredibly extensive mythology, with many of the stories being about warriors and their fate, or warlords and such. I will try to dig up those books I have on such matters, but for now I'd think wikipedia would have something
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Weeksy wrote:I really really hope the Indian army gets included in this, and it wouldn't be that hard to find info on units, as they have an incredibly extensive mythology, with many of the stories being about warriors and their fate, or warlords and such. I will try to dig up those books I have on such matters, but for now I'd think wikipedia would have something
But where would we find War Elephants?