Some races

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xtifr

Post by xtifr »

turin wrote:.The idea of elves being anything other than winged fairies was thought of by Tolkien also
No, actually, Tolkien merely went back to a more traditional view of elves - it wasn't his invention. The tiny, fairy-like elves were the invention of the Victorians. Before that, elves (and fairies, for that matter) were much more like Tolkien's (except darker, and more dangerous). Tolkien also wasn't the only author of his era to harken back to an older vision of elves - Poul Anderson, quite independently, rediscovered the traditional Norse elves for his early (but fairly influental) fantasy, The Broken Sword - Anderson's elves, in fact, were even more traditional than Tolkien's, being ruthless and soulless, beautiful but cruel, although still loosely allied with men against the trolls and giants.

Modern fantasy has pretty much joined in with Tolkien (and Anderson and a few others) in restoring Elves to their former size and glory, but has also tended to confuse the Norse Elves (or Alves or Alvir) with the Celtic Fairies (or Faeries, or Fey, or Sidhe (pronouced "shey")). They're actually completely unrelated, and I'm happy te see Wesnoth sticking to a more traditional Norse/Tolkienesque mythos.

Dwarves, by the way, are also from Norse mythology, where they were known as the Svartalves (or Svartalvir) which basically translates as "Dark Elves". So Wesnoth doesn't really need a separate race of Dark Elves - it has the real, original Dark Elves already! :)

(I think Turin already knew that last, but I thought others might be interested.)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm. Never heard of "The Broken Sword", but it looks like an interesting book.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

turin wrote:Hm. Never heard of "The Broken Sword", but it looks like an interesting book.
cruel elves? I'm buying it!
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
unsung

Post by unsung »

turin wrote:Oops, forgot to bust the most erroneous myth: Dwarves being naive. They are an extremely crafty, suspicious and xenophobic race
yes, they are most of those but they arent quite xenophobic very close to xenophobic but still not quite there.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

In my philosophical research, i ofund an explanation for dragons, their various characteristic and abilities ( i mean, flying reptilian-like creatures that can do magic, change forms or hvae some hideous kind of breath? ).

They are pretty much chimaeras, they may or may not be natural, but they seem to be chimeric creatures, combining so much things.

And...get to wikipedia and search for elf, you'll find a nice assortment of cultural sources.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

I don't realy think dragons are a composite of other creatures. In a wierd way they are to natural to be so and they have to many uniquenesses to be made even from other fantasy creatures.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Kamahawk wrote:I don't realy think dragons are a composite of other creatures. In a wierd way they are to natural to be so and they have to many uniquenesses to be made even from other fantasy creatures.
I have heard of dragons being called 'great worms', implying that they were thought of as worms or snakes.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Kamahawk wrote:I don't realy think dragons are a composite of other creatures. In a wierd way they are to natural to be so and they have to many uniquenesses to be made even from other fantasy creatures.
No statement can be made about dragons in general that applies to all dragons.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Poul Anderson lived in similar period as Tolkien? :-O I thought he was generation later. I just LOVED Broken Sword. It had sooo... so wonderful atmosphere. :-D He also wrote another one about elves, about them being christianed and ending in Bosnia or Croatia... It was even better.
Eldmannen

Post by Eldmannen »

I just played a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) and got the views of how these races are, and I like it. I never read any books, and havent played much other MMORPG's.

I see people here are much more educated than me in these fields and have played many games and read many books and know alot about fantasy races.

For me, it's still pretty hard to get used to this, of how you think because I played a RPG game for 3 years, and always thought I had a pretty good idea about races, now you guys says all that is wrong.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Eldmannen wrote:I just played a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) and got the views of how these races are, and I like it. I never read any books, and havent played much other MMORPG's.
He's so sweet, isn't he.
Jormungandr
Art Contributor

Post by Jormungandr »

Eldmannen wrote:For me, it's still pretty hard to get used to this, of how you think because I played a RPG game for 3 years, and always thought I had a pretty good idea about races, now you guys says all that is wrong.
It's fiction. "Right" and "wrong" don't even apply. One version of a fantasy race can be more or less faithful to author X or tradition Y, but that means nothing unless that author/tradition is being deliberately mimiced.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Eldmannen wrote:I just played a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) and got the views of how these races are, and I like it. I never read any books, and havent played much other MMORPG's.

I see people here are much more educated than me in these fields and have played many games and read many books and know alot about fantasy races.

For me, it's still pretty hard to get used to this, of how you think because I played a RPG game for 3 years, and always thought I had a pretty good idea about races, now you guys says all that is wrong.
Look at what Jormungandr posted. It's fantasy.. and moreso this is about a game which isn't (or needn't be) tied to a view regarding fantasy stemming from other sources (Tolkien, D&D, etc..).

Thus saying 'I think it should be this way because that's what I'm used to' or '..because it's like that in those books/games/etc' is a viable opinion.. but Wesnoth is project which simply unites several things the devs want in the game. Therefore, whether it's realistic or not.. whether it goes against all other fantasy or not, it's how it is and it has undoubtably been talked about and approved of (by the majority of the ones who matter ;) ).

So.. I'd say approach Wesnoth as a different approach to fantasy if you will. Try to keep an open mind. :)
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery