Some races

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eldmannen

Some races

Post by Eldmannen »

I think that you should add a "Minotaur" race.

Also the Orcs should be more green.

And I think Trolls should be brown and Goblins should be green.

Also, I saw that some Orcs have the "intelligent" attribute, but I always considered trolls to be stupid, primitive and very aggressive.

Wolves, snakes, bears and polar bear, amazons, dragon, dwarves.

Dragons are big, green fire-breathers.

Dwarves are small people who live in mountains and they like to drink beer.

Amazons are women and they hate all men or something they live in tribes of lesbians warriors, at nights they dance around the great fire. :D
Eldmannen

Post by Eldmannen »

The Orcs have an Assassin guy but I think orcs are dumb and just are big, green, ugly and brute force and assault in huge packs with big axes.

Not like go alone and sneak up and stealthy kill someone.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Some of your comments about orcs' colours should be posted in the art forum. What would be a minotaur race be made of? Are you thinking about greek mithology units?

Trolls basically come from Scandinavian tales. And indeed, they were supposed to be a little more brown than they are in Wesnoth. But I quite like the Troll pictures of Wesnoth. They are easy to recognize and you can see their advancements well.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
scott

Re: Some races

Post by scott »

Eldmannen wrote: I think
And I think
I always considered
Others, including those who made the game, think differently. The world of Wesnoth is not ________ (insert other world)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Eldmannen

Post by Eldmannen »

Tux2B:
Yes greek mythlogy I think maybe thats from where it is.

scott:
What you say?
I write my thoughts on the ideas forum and tell what I think. Did I do something wrong?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

you just posted very-much-time-needed-to-do-that idea, devs try to make 1.0 as fast as they can, and IMO its bad idea.
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Fragons aren't just green, if you go through tales there a multitude of colrs hell even in dnd they have a dragon for every color.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
scott

Post by scott »

Eldmannen wrote:I write my thoughts on the ideas forum and tell what I think. Did I do something wrong?
No, sorry if it came off harsh. However, you're stepping in at the end of a development cycle. The art department is past discussing the color of the units' skin. Regardless, your opinions are not definitive, taking how dragons look as an example.

I could counter-opine that dragons are orange and dwarves are 0.6 human's size with an unknown alcoholic preference. And honestly, I have never heard Amazons were lesbians. Just because they dominate men doesn't mean they like seafood. Afraid of strong women? (j/k)

Your take on fantasy races is not being shut out, and the suggestions are not inherently bad (The intelligent trait IS being taken away from the troll, but for gameplay reasons, not "realism"), but the creators of the world of Wesnoth have achieved a certain atmosphere and environment using brown orcs, green trolls, etc. It wouldn't help things to wreck that so late in the game.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

but can't they maybe seperate orcs, trolls and the goblins.
they don't fit toghether.
just as i think.
The N'EX is in my blood.

[Off from Wesnoth]
Eldmannen

Post by Eldmannen »

I dont nescearly indicate that I would like to see the ideas in the 1.0 release. I suppose the game will be developed further after the 1.0 release.

As for dragons, well the traditional dragon is the green one. However there are many types of dragons such as dragon lords, and red-scaled dragons and black dragons.
Sometimes even skeleton-dragons.

I played other games, and then I just recently downloaded this game, and its strange that the appearences of the monsters/creatures are very different to the tradional appereance in histroy, tales and other games.

For me it is pretty certain that:
Elves are a peaceful and intelligent race and often are druids or healers. Most of them prefer the bow over the sword/axe/club/lance.
Dwarves are shorter than human, they live in mountains, they drink beer, they are naive and likes axes and sometimes clubs and often smithing.
Cyclops are big human-like creatures with one eye, they have less intelligence than humans and they like club weapons.
Trolls live in caves or underground and are brown and ugly, they smell bad and are stupid and if they collect gold its only for the reason that it shimmers. They like clubs.
Orcs are green, muscelous, aggressive race they eat rats and garbage. They like axes, clubs, swords.
Minotaurs they are muscelous, and nearly human colored skin, they have horns on their head.
Human humans are less intelligent than the elves. Human knights often like swords or lances.
Eldmannen

Post by Eldmannen »

Oh and Goblins are little, green, ugly and annoying little creatures with lower intelligence than humans. They like to throw stones on people and laugh and annoy them.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

*sigh*

---

First, some mythbusting:

Orcs being traditionally green is a myth spawned by the popularity of Warcraft. Tolkien was the first to ever use orcs (he even made up the word), and his were definitely not green. The color varied, but usually it was a shade of brown or tan, ranging from near-white to black.

The idea of elves being anything other than winged fairies was thought of by Tolkien also, any references to ideas of elves before him are pretty unrelated to Wesnoth. His were VERY warlike. Basicaly, read the Silmarillion before you make any statements about elves, because it will drastically change how you think of them. Until you just said that, I've never thought of elves as a peaceful.

"Goblin" and "orc" in Tolkien have the same meaning, with Goblin having a connotation of smaller and craftier.

Minotaurs aren't humans with horns on their head, they're humans with bull heads. I've played many games, and have never seen this as otherwise.

---

Much of the mythology of Wesnoth is similar to that of Middle Earth, with some important differences. However, any changes you suggest based on "tradition" are likely to fail, because 1), WIN_ (wesnoth is not {insert game/book/story here}, and 2), we probably know more about tradition than you. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Attila

Post by Attila »

Eldmannen wrote:As for dragons, well the traditional dragon is the green one. However there are many types of dragons such as dragon lords, and red-scaled dragons and black dragons.
Sometimes even skeleton-dragons.
ImageImageImage

A green dragon, a red dragon, and sometimes even a skeleton-dragon.

It makes sense that the Fire Dragon would be red because the Drakes, "sons of dragons," are red and blue, but blue dragons would look kind of weird.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Oops, forgot to bust the most erroneous myth: Dwarves being naive. Where the heck did you hear that? They are an extremely crafty, suspicious and xenophobic race, from what I've read both in Tolkien and of Norse mythology, which is where dwarves come from. See the myth of "The Mead of Poetry" for a good example. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I would say that there are three worlds that the recent (1980's-now) fantasy story draws from:

J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth
Dungeons & Dragons
Traditional Mythology and Legend

Unfortunately these three sources are often conflicting and confused with eachother. Wesnoth's notion of Elves is completely inconsistant with Mythology, but similar to Tolkien's Elves and D&D's Wood Elves. Dragons in D&D come in a plethora of colors and styles, Smaug is not green in The Hobbit and every culture has a markedly different description of dragons in Mythology.

My point is that it's a fairly moot to argue coloring (or much of anything) based on "popular" depictions. Perhaps 10 years from now Dragons will popularly be thought of as cute and cuddly due to the increading number of children's television shows, like Dragon Tales, that provide a "friendly" fantasy world... Well, I hope not.

Oh, and since it's relevant I would like to invoke that famous acronym: WIN_
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry