"Renaissance"units

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Casual User

"Renaissance"units

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

I've created a few extra units for a possible (very maybe) custom campaign. I am not proposing these as official units. I am only posting them here so people can give me an idea what they think about the general stats.

Pikeneer: smallfoot, 4 moves, lawful, 16gp
40 HP, 20% resistance to blade, piercing and holy
pike:10-2, first strike, piercing, melee
sword:4-4, blade, melee

advances to veteran pikeneer then to elite pikeneer gaining each time 15HP, 5 more damage for the pike and 2 more for the sword (no extra attacks)

Musketeer: smallfoot, 5 moves, lawful, 18gp
38 HP, 20% resistance to holy
musket:18-1, impact, ranged
sword:4-3, blade, melee

advances to veteran musketeer then to elite musketeer gaining each time 14HP, 9 more damage for the musket and 2 more for the sword (no extra attacks)

Cavalry: smallhorse, 7 moves, lawful, 20gp
42 HP, 20% resistance to blade, impact and holy, -20% resistance to pierce
sword:4-4, blade, melee
lance:8-2, charge, piercing, melee

advances to veteran cavalry then to elite cavalry gaining each time 16HP, 4 more damage for the lance and 2 more for the sword (no extra attacks)

Bladesman: elusivefoot, skirmisher, 6 moves, lawful, 22gp
36 HP, 20% resistance to blade and holy, -20% resistance to pierce
sword:4-4, magical, blade, melee
pistol:8-1, impact, ranged

advances to bladesmaster then to maitre d'armes, gaining each time 13HP, 4 more damage for the pistol and 2 more for the sword (no extra attacks)

Adjudant: smallfoot, leadership, 5 moves, lawful, 24gp
38 HP, 20% resistance to blade, pierce, impact and holy
sword:4-3, blade, melee
pistol:8-1, impact, ranged

advances to officer first rank then to officer second rank then to comanding general gaining each time 14HP, 4 more damage for the pistol and 2 more for the sword (no extra attacks)

Cannon: armoredfoot, 3 moves, lawful, 26gp
40 HP, 20% resistance to blade, pierce, impact and holy
defensive volley:8-1, first strike, fire, melee
volley:24-1, magical, fire, ranged

advances to artillery cannon then to bombard cannon gaining each time 15HP, 4 more damage for the defensive volley and 12 more for the volley (no extra attacks)

I don't know how many XP it would take to advance, but probably not that much. Do you have any suggestions or commentaries?
Last edited by Casual User on May 16th, 2005, 3:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I think only the Cannon and Musketeer will be useful. All others have a unit that is simular to them(in the main game)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

ILikeProgramming wrote:I think only the Cannon and Musketeer will be useful. All others have a unit that is simular to them(in the main game)
Hey, smart stuff - this is for a campaign, where the units are supposed to look like renaissance units. Our standard set, with the possible exception of the fencer/duelist, does not. So bugger off.
kangounator

Post by kangounator »

i like the idea of the cannon :) to kill high HP units (but cannon destructs castle not man)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I've thought for a while that a renaissance mod of wesnoth would be very cool. :)

The only unit I fail to understand is the Pikeneer. I've never heard that word before, and its not in my dictionary. Did you make it up?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

1. I've edited a little bit my first post.

2. Ilikeprogramming said:"I think only the Cannon and Musketeer will be useful. All others have a unit that is simular to them(in the main game)" Jetryl sort of answered for me, but I also think the pikeneer is quite unique (the spearman line does not ressemble much) and the cavalry, as a cavalryman with charge, more HP but less resistances is sensibly different from other units. The bladesman does have a similar unit in the main game, but I wanted to make an unit people might actually use...

3. Kangounator said:"but cannon destructs castle not man". Not true. Cannons were often used in open field to shoot into ennemy ranks. They could do heavy damage. Incidently, the cannon would be an excellent unit to use against units in a castle because its attack is magical...

4. Turin said:"The only unit I fail to understand is the Pikeneer. I've never heard that word before, and its not in my dictionary. Did you make it up?". What's to understand, it's a guy with a pike and who also carries a sword. I wanted to call him pikeman, but there's already an unit by that name...

5. According to you, how much XP should they each need? I was thinking along the lines of pike:30, musket:32, blade:38, cavalry:36, adjudant:34, cannon:40. The second levels would need about 1.5 times that and the officer second rank would need about 72. What do you think?

Thanks for reading and sorry about the long post
scott

Post by scott »

Casual User wrote:3. Kangounator said:"but cannon destructs castle not man". Not true. Cannons were often used in open field to shoot into ennemy ranks. They could do heavy damage. Incidently, the cannon would be an excellent unit to use against units in a castle because its attack is magical...
You might consider marksman for the cannon if you just want a hit bonus and not have people wonder why they have magic cannons. ;)

Pikeneer? How about Flambergier?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Cannons that shoot at people had metal fragments put in the muzzle, like a huge shot gun.

Maybe the cannon could have a bonus when attacking units on a keep. That would be easier and make a bit more sense then having it magical.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Assasin wrote:Cannons that shoot at people had metal fragments put in the muzzle, like a huge shot gun.
[off-topic] Actually, there were three common cannon loads: canister, grape, and solid shot, all of which were effective against footsoldiers in different situations. Canister is exactly like a shotgun: a canister of musketballs. This was particularly useful at short ranges, but didn't have much penetrating power or range. Metal fragments or gravel were ammunition of last resort, as they tended to damage the cannon's bore. Grape consists of a smaller number (a half-dozen-ish) baseball-sized balls; this had better penetrating power (i.e. could kill more than the first rank or two of a formation) than canister. When used against infantry, solid shot was usually aimed at the ground some distance in front of the infantry, in order to generate a grazing shot - this causes the cannonball to bounce in a flat trajectory, killing a swathe of men throughout the formation.[/off-topic]

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :-) If we had terrain-specific damage values, this could be an argument for cannons doing better attacking units on grassland, and worse on, say, sand. (I am not suggesting that the damage model should change, though!)
Author of Wercator
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

1. I've done another edit to my first post

2. About the magical cannon, bladesman has a magical sword... Seriously, I view these things purely functionnaly, and magical works great for cannon and bladesman, so I'll suppose the average player can suppose it represents the cannon's bonus against keeps and the bladesman skill at arms...

3. A flambergier was a soldier with a flamberge which was a sort of hallberd, not what I'm looking for...

4. I've made some graphics of the pikeneer, musketeer and cavalry, but I don't know how to upload them. I made them in Paint, so they're .bmp, and it's not allowed. Anyone know how I can post them anyway?

Thanks!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Doesn't MS paint have a way to save as a different file type? If you can change it to .png or .gif (preferably .png), you will be able to easily add it as an attachment.

Alternatively, if you have somewhere else you could upload it, you could do that and then link to it from here.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good morning!
Attachments
renaissance.gif
renaissance.gif (87.71 KiB) Viewed 5348 times