More naval units

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tux2B

More naval units

Post by Tux2B »

I had the idea that it could be a good thing if they were more naval units,
like boats (that could transport units). It could also allow naval combats. They would be more expensive than mermen, and used in scenarios where you have to cross seas or rivers (maybe putting one just before Isle of Anduin :?: ).
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

They are already used like this in turin's campaign "Saving Elensefar".
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I know they are already such kind of units, but as far as I know the campaign (and I haven't played it since long), you cannot build those units. :)
And it is only ONE campaign :(
Attila

Post by Attila »

Tux2B wrote:I know they are already such kind of units, but as far as I know the campaign (and I haven't played it since long), you cannot build those units. :)
Also fight for freedom uses boats.

Ships that can carry other units would be part of the scenario, so the designer would have to WML it for each scenario.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Attila wrote:
Tux2B wrote:I know they are already such kind of units, but as far as I know the campaign (and I haven't played it since long), you cannot build those units. :)
Also fight for freedom uses boats.

Ships that can carry other units would be part of the scenario, so the designer would have to WML it for each scenario.
In FtF, you do build and fight with boats, but there is very little simultaneous land and sea combat which, IIRC, SE does have.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Nope, no simultaneous land-sea combat in SE.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tux2B

Here is an idea of naval boat units

Post by Tux2B »

:idea: Here are my proposals of naval units:

LEVEL 0
ROW BOAT:
moves: 4 (undeep water:3)
attack: short distance 5-3
HP: 35
XP: 40

LEVEL 1
GALLEY:
moves: 5 (undeep water:1)
attack: short distance 6-3
long distance: 2-2(arrows)
HP: 50
XP: 50

LEVEL 2
DRAKKAR:
moves: 10(undeep:4)
attack: 6-4/2-3(arrows)
HP:60

------------------------------

LEVEL 1:
CARAVEL
moves: 6(undeep:2)
attack:5-3(short distance)
HP:45
XP:45

LEVEL 2:
GALLEON:
moves:7 (undeep:1)
attack=6-3 (short);10-1(long; cannon)
HP:55
XP:60

LEVEL 3
ADMIRAL'S BOAT
moves:8 (undeep:0)
attack: 7-3(short distance);10-3(long distance)
HP:65
XP:100
Leadership

LEVEL 4
FLYING BOAT
moves:10 (on all terrains,excepted mountains:3)
attack:5-3/10-5
HP:70
LEADERSHIP

-------------------------------------------

TRANSPORT
can carry 5 units
EMPTY: moves:6(undeep:3)
FULL:moves:4(undeep:2)
HP:40
XP:-

:arrow: Send me your comments and ideas. As I am bad at art developping, I'd be glad if someone could help me to make the drawings.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

What's 'undeep'?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Attila

Post by Attila »

a flying boat... :shock:
ryn

Post by ryn »

undeep=not deep=shallow. I have to admit though, at first it seems to look like underdeep
2B |! 2B = 3F
SL

Post by SL »

At first it looked to me like 'upkeep'. :o
Tux2B

I'm sorry for my mistake

Post by Tux2B »

:? I apologize: my English isn't so good. I wanted to speak about water wich is light blue.
I had the idea of a flying boat because Wesnoth is a game based on fantastic stories (orcs, elves...), and all the other boats I proposed were almost realistic. And in some fantastic stories, you can find them. And in Wesnoth, there are flying horses, aren't there (elvish rider, level 3).
:?: But, seriously, what do you think about my proposal?

I haven't wroten how much a unit would cost, because I have no real idea about it.
scott

Post by scott »

Unless the scenario were centered around naval combat and had lots of water, I wouldn't recruit naval units any more than I do mermen to guard rivers. Most scenarios in the game are not centered around water (nor should they be in my opinion), which is why there was angst with the flat mer/naga water combat. Adding 10 naval units won't change the balance away from the 200 or so land units, so I think you're looking at a specialized role for them. However, extending the game in new directions, even if it's just to prove the engine's flexibility, is a good thing, and if you can make Wesnoth naval combat fun then go for it.

Also, I don't know whether having ships level up into bigger ships is a good idea. It would be weird to consider a galleon putting wings on and starting to fly. AMLA would make more sense for ships (better armor, more guns, etc.)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
kangounator

sea monster

Post by kangounator »

Battle for Wesnoth is a fantastic game and boats are realistic. The only fantastic naval units are merman (and flying boat :wink: ) if they were (big) sea monsters it will be more funny :)
khamul

Post by khamul »

How about:

Longboat (lvl 1), 2 traits
34 HP
45 XP
Ranged Pierce [5-4] arrows
Move 7,
-> deep water cost 2, 50%
-> shallow water 1, 50%
-> sand 4, 20%
-> everything else 0

Corsairs (lvl 2), 2 traits
45 HP
80 XP
Ranged Pierce [8-4] arrows
Ranged Impact [10-2] catapult
Move 6
-> same move, CtbH

Pirates (lvl 3), 2 traits
70 HP
-
Ranged Pierce [8-5] arrows
Ranged Fire [14-2] Greek Fire
Move 5
-> same move, CtbH

+20% vs blade/pierce (the ship provides cover)
-20% vs impact (leaking ships are not happy)
-50% vs fire (burning ships are REALLY not happy)

Gives you a unit that is fast on water, not very well defended on water, and has a ranged attack on water - I don't believe any units like that currently exist? Could be used to give whatever faction doesn't have an aquatic option and aquatic option. I play single-player mostly, so I'm not too good on the multiplayer factions.

Just to be absolutely clear, the catapult/greek fire functions in exactly the same way as a standard ranged attack - it can only attack a unit in an adjacent hex, the unit cannot respond with short range, can respond with long range. I believe the idea of mounting a catapult (w greek fire) in the bow has some historical support, but WINR anyway.