New ranged units - Dwarvish Fire, Gas and Tar throwers

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dtw

New ranged units - Dwarvish Fire, Gas and Tar throwers

Post by dtw »

Dwarvish Fire-thrower, Tar-thrower Gas-blaster

I have seen in a few threads recently that dwarfs are now considered to be a bit lame but i don't want a debate about that here. What i do want to do is present some ideas for dwarf units. At the moment the advancement trees for dwarfs is very simple and I don't suggest to introduce lots of new level 1 units, i think a wide variety of advancements would also make the race quite unique.

In a lot of other games (I know WIN ....) dwarfs are a technical race and I see no reason why this shouldn't be true in wesnoth, they are still miners/tunnelers which is a technical business. They are also a very physically strong race so carrying a lot of gear should not affect their movement.

A couple of simple advancements for the thunderer. I am aware of these threads but i figured it was better to start a new thread as they are all old:

flameguard
stormguard

The main strength of all these proposed units is in the introduction of the specials rather than quibbles over actually damage which, while important can only be discussed after the initial idea.

Tar thrower – tar is very sticky so this would have a 'slow' effect, it would also be ranged. The melee should also be designed for the tar thrower to capitalize on it's enemy's slowed state. Tar is obviously easy to come across under ground.

Gas thrower – poisonous gas is a major problem to miners and so it seems sensible that the dwarfs could weaponize it. This attack would obviously have the 'poison' special.

Fire thrower – an obvious technical leap from the previous two – it's a flamethrower – I have seen people suggest the addition of the 'fire' special to thunderer units anyway.

There are two things that could further enhance this unit however:
1) 'burn' has been suggested for a drake weapon special– that seems appropriate here also rather than 'fire'
2) it seems fair that as all these weapons affect an area, i.e. they are spray weapons they could have increased chances to hit – this is very true with the fire thrower, i can't imagine how elves could have 70% defense against a flamethrower in forest?! That means the unit either has to have a 'magical' special or we need something other than 'marksman' and multiple shots to represent their high chance of hitting
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Are you proposing that the tar thrower advances into the gas thrower advances into the fire thrower? Remember, RIBLIP, and it would IMHO make little sense for a unit to have all three specials.

I think that for a poison-gas throwing unit, it would make sense for it to do little damage (1-2), but have poison.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ryn

Post by ryn »

dwarf poison.. I like the twist. But I think they should be separate lines, except for possibly the tar thrower/poison unit, which seem quite similar to me for some odd reason.
2B |! 2B = 3F
dtw

Post by dtw »

no - not all in one branch - three seperate branches - and i agree with the poison damage - a cloud can't really hurt you physically!

i'm just trying to generate some ideas to liven the dwarves up a bit
SL

Post by SL »

Of course a cloud can hurt you physically... Mustard gas, phosgene, cyanide, etc... :P

Here's one which acts within minutes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_cyanide

I like the idea of giving the dwarves flamethrowers as a 2nd level unit, but perhaps giving them tar-throwers and poison-throwers would be unbalancing. But then I don't know what abilities most of the units beyond level 1 have yet, so I could be wrong.
dtw

Post by dtw »

Well, point taken it could be corrosive gas, but then woldn;t it corrode their simple weaponization mechanism? :)

Of course poison actually does physical damage - most poison cases result from another physical attack but this one wouldn't, that's what we are saying
SL

Post by SL »

Since flamethrowers were generally only useful in WWI when fired from trenches, we can imagine the flame-unit throwing something like greek fire or a molotov cocktail at an enemy instead of using an actual flamethrower.

What would be cool would be to have fire damage have a chance to light an enemy on fire (if the attack hits, a second roll could be made to see if this happens), doing extra damage every turn like poison does. It would have a chance to go out each turn (stop, drop, and roll), or would go out if the unit moved onto a water, swamp, or snow tile. If they were on one of those when they got lit on fire, then it could do the extra damage once and then go out. Admittedly, this isn't the simplest idea to implement, so it probably won't get added.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Yes a molotov, or Greek Fire would be far more realistic than a flamethrower. I do not mean realistic of course, but FEASIBLE for the setting.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

No, leave dangerous things like that to the humans. They don't fit in Wesnoth's attack system anyway.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
dtw

Post by dtw »

SL - you are talking about 'burn' - i made the effort to provide a link to it so may be you could read it? Just an idea

EP - is that all flame weapons or just the molotov idea?
SL

Post by SL »

dibblethewrecker wrote:SL - you are talking about 'burn' - i made the effort to provide a link to it so may be you could read it? Just an idea
Ah, I must've missed the link the first time. I've read that thread now. In general, after reading all of that, I like the idea of just doing extra damage at the end of combat best - unless the burned unit is on a water or swamp terrain.