A new race idea.

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Baka Neko

A new race idea.

Post by Baka Neko »

Easteners (or something)
They would be neutral and their classes would be something like:
Samurai, ninja, battle-monk and magic user. Of course there would be more than these and upgrades and stuff. So, what do you say?
I'm a happy man, with happy feelings all of the time.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

I say nothing.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

and laser robots... :D

:wink: :roll:
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

There are WAY too many samarai and their ilk in this genre of game anyway. So no. No easterners.
Dreadwing

Post by Dreadwing »

Why samarai are cool....wesnoth is fantasy middle evil type/magic I guess no robots but why no samarai??
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dreadwing wrote:Why samarai are cool....
No they're not. They're just gangster policemen with the ablity to insta-kill anyone who opposes them at short range. Just boring skilled fighters, and critical hits have no placy in Wesnoth.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
aelius

Post by aelius »

Welcome to the forum, Baba.

I think what you'll find here is that if you want to see something in the game, the best way to do it is get working on it. Finished ideas are much less impressive than work begun. If you want to see a faction of Samurai, start building one yourself!

No one will stop you.

Now, no one may help you initially, but they're much more likely to if you have something started to show them.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I am not at all opposed to a faction of eastern-styled humans. This would very definitely improve the game world, since players would be able to travel to distant lands and actually encounter different cultures of warriors when they got there.

Rather than seeing the same units used to represent humans in a culture that would actually appear very different, externally.

More human units will be bound by the same constraints of racial identity given the current humans.

However, they need to be good looking, and they will also need a full set of graphics, which means a bit more than what we currently have for most units in the game - for example, they will need death animations.
khamul

Post by khamul »

Can I suggest the 'Eastern' humans are inspired more by Arabia and North Africa than Japan/China?

The savanna and desert terrain tiles look beautiful, and currently there's very few Wesnoth units that do well on sand (outside of Burning Suns). A race of desert warriors could add to the game, and allow a few more maps based on those tiles to be created.

That said, regarding Jetyrl's comments on art - that's a lot of work you're volunteering for, Baka Neko...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

khamul wrote:Can I suggest the 'Eastern' humans are inspired more by Arabia and North Africa than Japan/China?
Can I suggest that nothing stands in the way of both?
egbert

Post by egbert »

I don't know. I think that some people really like samurais and that stuff but it really bored me... who needs another swordsman-type thing?

It would be kind of cool if they appeared in a few missions in some campaign or something I think, but no more than that.
Tux2B

Not a bad idea

Post by Tux2B »

I think that it could be interesting to have a kind of "Eastern" units. Even if it isn't very different strategically, it could give some ideas to make new campaigns.
Attila

Re: Not a bad idea

Post by Attila »

Tux2B wrote:I think that it could be interesting to have a kind of "Eastern" units. Even if it isn't very different strategically, it could give some ideas to make new campaigns.
So, couldn't you just make your own faction and put it in your campaign?
Tux2B

No time

Post by Tux2B »

:( I have not enouh time. First I must finish The Legend of Wesmere translatio into Dutch. :arrow: I just posted an idea.