Era of Empires (Progress and feedback)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Quixotic_King

Re: Era of Empires (Progress and feedback)

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

Thanks for the feedback, both of y'all.
MoonyDragon wrote: January 21st, 2021, 9:38 pm
The_Quixotic_King wrote: January 21st, 2021, 5:19 pm Feedback would be most appreciated!
Here is my take:
Units
Zwergenland Trooper
- neutral
- 15g
- 34hp
- 4mp
- dwarvish
- Shortsword: 4-3 melee-blade
- Handcannon: 8-2 ranged-pierce

Mechanic
- lawful
- 15g
- 28hp
- 5mp
- human
- Repairs +8
- Wrench: 4-2 melee-impact
- Grenade: 8-1 ranged-fire

Machinegunner
- lawful
- 14g
- 28hp
- 5mp
- human
- Knife: 4-2 melee-blade
- Machinegun: 4-5 ranged-pierce

Barbarossa Walker
- neutral
- 19g
- 40hp
- 4mp
- mechanical
- Trample: 6-3 melee-impact (charge)
- Turret Gun: 6-2 ranged-pierce (marksman)

Albrecht Walker
- neutral
- 23g
- 42hp
- 4mp
- mechanical
- Bullbars: 8-2 melee-impact
- Chlorine Shells: 6-3 ranged-fire (poison)
- Turret Cannon: 10-2 ranged-impact (marksman)

Airship
- neutral
- 20g
- 38hp
- 7mp
- mechanical
- Chlorine Bombs: 6-3 ranged-fire (poison)
- Turret Gun: 6-2 ranged-pierce (marksman)

Flamethrower
- removed in favour of poison gas attacks
Some Notes
- zwergenland units lean more towards ranged damage rather than melee
- also, zwergenlanders are generally slow as snails
- dwarvish Z. Troopers are the mainstay and gapfiller of the faction
- human Machinegunners and Mechanics are support for the mechanical units
- Machinegunners hide behind mechanicals at night and storm into the enemy at day
- Mechanics hug the tanks at all times and sometimes throw a grenade or two
- the mechanical units are for steamrolling the enemy, but need support and cost a lot
- Barbarossa Walkers are the cheapest tank and synergize with Machinegunners
- Albrecht Walkers blow apart anything in front of them
- with 7mp, Airships are the quickest unit. it is also a flying fortress
- flamethrowers have been removed. Instead, Airships and Albrecht Walkers got a poison gas attack.
The overall concept for the faction matches up somewhat with that you have, slow as snails, ranged focus and reliance on expensive walkers for high damage.
My primary issue with this modification is the addition of the humans, for two reasons:
Firstly and lazily of me, I have already made the sprites for the Mechanic, Machinegun, and Flamer which I would have to redo for the first two and scrap the last for this edit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
and secondly, that makes the Dwarvish faction only have one Dwarvish unit line!
MoonyDragon wrote: January 21st, 2021, 9:38 pm Machinegunner
- lawful
- 14g
- 28hp
- 5mp
- human
- Knife: 4-2 melee-blade
- Machinegun: 4-5 ranged-pierce
I take it that you interpreted the machinegunner as less of a heavy machinegun, and more of LMG or SMG, while that's not the path I want to take with the unit, this set up for a unit really intrigues me, and I see how it could synergize with the walkers. I might be tempted to add this as a 8th unit to the faction.
Hejnewar wrote: January 28th, 2021, 4:19 pm balance
Overall for balance I have been trying to make it as much as possible Range>Melee. Because of this shift I want to also have as a requirement for factions a Melee-oriented unit, which Zwergenland currently lacks but :whistle:
Hejnewar wrote: January 28th, 2021, 4:19 pm For the author:
Also please have melee then ranged attack, it's so unintuitive at least for me right now.
Now that you have mentioned it is also generally inconsistent, I put the attack I thought was the units "primary" first. But anyways it has been reorganized to melee-range.
Hejnewar wrote: January 28th, 2021, 4:19 pm In general I find this era more climatic than I thought it is going to be.
Here's hoping that wasn't a typo for anti-climactic, if not, thanks! :shock:
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

The_Quixotic_King wrote: February 1st, 2021, 1:45 am I take it that you interpreted the machinegunner as less of a heavy machinegun, and more of LMG or SMG, while that's not the path I want to take with the unit, this set up for a unit really intrigues me, and I see how it could synergize with the walkers. I might be tempted to add this as a 8th unit to the faction.
Now that I know what kind of unit you aimed at, I think your concept fits into the faction much better than mine. The steadfast ability of the machinegunner simulates the feeling of trench warfare perfectly. Super cool stuff!

However, I'd still recommend a change that would, in my opinion, give even more WWI flavour to the Zwergenlanders. How about changing the flamethrower attack to poison gas? The damage type and stats can stay the same, only the burn special will be changed to poison.

Apart from that, things are looking great!
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Hey! I really like the idea of ​​your era. A couple of years ago, I myself dreamed of doing something similar, but then I abandoned this idea. The art looks good and fits in with the default. I would like to ask a few questions about gameplay and lore.

1. Why did you choose the 19th century setting? It always seemed to me that the 17th century, the era of the Thirty Years War, would be best suited. The 19th century is too tied to firearms and developed industry, while in the 17th century both firearms and edged weapons are combined; perhaps factions such as elves and orcs would fit better into the 17th century. Elves could be like Persians, Turks or Crimean Tatars (in the 17th century they still actively used bows), and orcs could still chop pikemen with their swords. Gangs of orcs-landsknechts with two-handed swords, who were forced by a hard life and a crisis in the Horde to become mercenaries and serve other countries for money ... Probably, in the setting of the 17th century it is easier to show the difference in technological development.

2. If you are using the Wesnoth races, why not link the era to the original lore? Well, that is, your era could show the world of Wesnoth in 300-500 years (if we assume that the High Middle Ages are in Wesnoth). Of course, I love the original worlds, but if the era uses a standard set of races from Wesnoth, then it is probably better to try to develop its lore.

Anyway, I hope to see your era on the addon server! Don't lose your motivation!
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
The_Quixotic_King

Mechanical wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:51 am Hey! I really like the idea of ​​your era. A couple of years ago, I myself dreamed of doing something similar, but then I abandoned this idea. The art looks good and fits in with the default. I would like to ask a few questions about gameplay and lore.
Thanks for the feedback! My goal has been to make the sprites as "mainline" as possible, which has been pretty dificult with things like the Dwarven walkers. Your sprites are also a big help, and I admire them greatly.
Mechanical wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:51 am
1. Why did you choose the 19th century setting? It always seemed to me that the 17th century, the era of the Thirty Years War, would be best suited. The 19th century is too tied to firearms and developed industry, while in the 17th century both firearms and edged weapons are combined; perhaps factions such as elves and orcs would fit better into the 17th century. Elves could be like Persians, Turks or Crimean Tatars (in the 17th century they still actively used bows), and orcs could still chop pikemen with their swords. Gangs of orcs-landsknechts with two-handed swords, who were forced by a hard life and a crisis in the Horde to become mercenaries and serve other countries for money ... Probably, in the setting of the 17th century it is easier to show the difference in technological development.
For one I really enjoy 19th century history, and sense I started playing I've wanted to have a 19th century Wesnoth game. I think it's interesting and why I chose it is because of the clashes of ideology which defined the 19th and late 18th century, and I wanted my factions to represent these. You have Pyrrho-Weinburg being the force of traditional psuedo-feudal conservatism, Zwergenland being the industrial and military powerhouse. The Camarians representing capitalistic colonialism and the soon to be necromancer faction to represent radical revolution. All of these playing together I think is very cool. I am also being relatively loose with timing, as Zwergenland is clearly more steampunk and mid/late 19th, while Pyrrho-Weinburg has more of a Napoleonic flair, and then the much earlier Orcs.
And secondly, I'd love to do a renaissance wesnoth era! I would probably want to put it a little earlier so as to not thematically clash with EEaW. The rest of the answer for this one ties in with the answer for your second question.
Mechanical wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:51 am 2. If you are using the Wesnoth races, why not link the era to the original lore? Well, that is, your era could show the world of Wesnoth in 300-500 years (if we assume that the High Middle Ages are in Wesnoth). Of course, I love the original worlds, but if the era uses a standard set of races from Wesnoth, then it is probably better to try to develop its lore.
I considered this quite a bit, but in the end I decided I'd rather have the flexibility offered by a new world. If I were doing a 17th/16th century era I would want to do it in the world of Wesnoth, and try expanding the lore in a time that connects a little better. Of course the whole two suns thing begs the question in what era of technology it happened, so I would also have to take that into consideration if I wanted to blend them. If I do have the willpower to make another add-on after this one, it would most definitely be a 17th century Wesnoth!

As for my 19th century era, if people would like to use it's resources to make campaigns set in a more modern Wesnoth I would fully endorse it and gladly make more sprites if needed.
Mechanical wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:51 am Anyway, I hope to see your era on the addon server! Don't lose your motivation!
I've hit what I have termed a "spriters block", I've been trying to make nicer and more unique sprites especially for my favorite faction aesthetically, that being the last horde, but I've found I'm not up to snuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'll continue as much as possible however and I'll be damned if I don't get this era up!
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

The_Quixotic_King wrote: February 24th, 2021, 7:58 pm I've hit what I have termed a "spriters block", I've been trying to make nicer and more unique sprites especially for my favorite faction aesthetically, that being the last horde, but I've found I'm not up to snuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'll continue as much as possible however and I'll be damned if I don't get this era up!
It is a pity that you are in the "art block". I once faced a similar problem. Because of this, I almost always gave up what I was starting to do. A lot of ideas died because of this, including the era about the 17th century in Wesnoth (remember my sprites of the halberdist, musketeer and officer), as well as the era about Wesnoth in cyberpunk (the ForestDrragon and I even made a faction of space orcs!). I recently learned how to beat the art block. The secret is ... just redraw something. And never throw up an unfinished drawing. Even if you don't like what comes out, you need to finish painting the unit and then start over. If some features turned out well, then you need to take them for a new drawing and develop. The most difficult thing is to redraw when there is no mood and it seems that nothing comes out.

For example, the first sprite for the Serpent Khaganate was the Overseer. For a long time I could not draw it so that I liked it. He came out badly over and over again. I even thought that I would abandon everything again and would not be able to draw the Serpentine Khaganate. But after a couple of tries I got a good face. It gave me confidence and the following sketches came out better. After a while, I was able to make a nice sprite. Other nagas (lvl 2 and 3) turned out for me on the first try and without any problems, because I got inspiration and understood how to draw a naga.

I hope my way will help you overcome the art block. I am watching your work and really looking forward to the new sprites.
Attachments
naga.png
naga.png (13.65 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
My art thread
The_Quixotic_King

Sorry for the radio silence, here's just a quick update while I continue my work.

- I have been working on coding in both Zwergenland and the PW Empire. And through this I have been painfully reminded how terrible I am with technology. Coding is not my forte. I do not want to give up yet, and I'll keep giving it my all but I may be forced to throw in the towel and find someone to do it, if you are interested in helping out, feel free to contact me, on the wesnoth discord I am @A_Southern_Gentleman.

- I am still working on sprites and I've gotten out of my rut, I just need to pick up the pace

-The faction overview for The Last Horde will be out before the months end.

Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Glad to see it! I'm waiting overview of the Horde)
My art thread
The_Quixotic_King

The Last Horde: Faction Overview
Howdy folks, here's the faction overview for the orcs, as always feedback is appreciated.
I have my doubts about the gameplay and the faction overall, and I'm willing to change it pretty drastically. Aesthetically it's one of my favorite factions, one of my main concerns however is that they will look rather out of place among the spiffy 19th century uniforms, which is sort of the point, but at the same time I don't want them to look too out of place.

As with Zwergenland the lore section will be added in later.
recruits

Goblin Pikeman (Pikegoblin? :hmm: )
Goblin_Pike.png
Goblin_Pike.png (1.9 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
lvl=0
cost=8
hp=24
mp=5
ability: Formation (15% bonus on blade, pierce, impact, when standing next to other units with formation. Can stack twice, applies during attack Aswell)
attacks:
Pike
melee 5-3, pierce

Purpose: Along with the Goblin Arquebusier, you'll (hopefully) be using this guy alot. while pretty weak by himself, supported by two other Goblins and an Orc leader he will be quite a formidable foe.

Goblin Arquebusier
Goblin_Musket.png
Goblin_Musket.png (1.72 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
lvl=0
cost=10
hp=22
mp=5
ability: Formation
attacks:
gunstock:
melee 4-1, impact
Arquebus
range 7-2, pierce

purpose: same as the Pike this guy should make up a good chunk of your army.

Orc Superior
(no sprite yet)
cost=19
hp=32
mp=5
ability: Leadership
attacks:
saber
melee 6-3, blade
pistol
range 3-3

purpose: His purpose should be fairly obvious, buffs Goblin Damage.

Goblin Drummer
Goblin_Drummer.png
Goblin_Drummer.png (3.4 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
cost=18
hp=24
mp=7
ability: Marching beat (if a unit ends it turn next to this unit next turn it will have an extra MP, does not apply to cavalry and mechanical units) pursue (when adjacent units get a kill they get 1 mp.)
attack:
Mace
melee 5-2, impact

Purpose: This unit will not only make up for any slow goblins but can also provide your army with some unexpected agility and maneuverability.

Orc Streletz
Orc_Streletz.png
Orc_Streletz.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
cost=20
hp=34
mp=5
attacks:
Bardiche:
melee 7-2, blade
Musket:
ranged 16-1, pierce, marksman.

Purpose: the Streletz along with the clan warrior is one of your beefy and strong units.

Orc Clan Warrior
Orc_Clan_Warrior.png
Orc_Clan_Warrior.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
cost=21
hp=38
mp=5
(20% resistance to blade and impact)
attacks:
Pala
melee 6-4, blade
Mace
melee 8-2, impact

Purpose: This unit is a heavy melee hitter, may even be the heaviest melee hitter recruitable, in this predominantly ranged and mixed damage era he will be an intense unit to deal with.

Goblin rider
Goblin_Rider.png
Goblin_Rider.png (3.77 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
(I made this sprite a long time ago, and it doesn't really fit the rest of the factions aesthetic so it'll definitely change)
cost=17
hp=28
mp=9
attacks:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Purpose: It's a scout ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Don't really know how to differentiate him in away from the Goblin Wolfrider. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by The_Quixotic_King on April 16th, 2021, 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

You don't mention xp (fairly important stat). My impressions are the L0's are a tad too cheap while the rest are too expensive (but that's OK to balance the faction as a whole rather than unit by unit). The drummer is a very interesting unit, I am intrigued by how those abilities would be programmed.
The_Quixotic_King

Atreides wrote: March 26th, 2021, 7:19 pm You don't mention xp (fairly important stat). My impressions are the L0's are a tad too cheap while the rest are too expensive (but that's OK to balance the faction as a whole rather than unit by unit). The drummer is a very interesting unit, I am intrigued by how those abilities would be programmed.
Thanks for the feedback,
for XP, I'm not entirely sure how that should be balanced, but as expected the Goblins will level up relatively quickly and the Orcs slowly.

As for the pricing the Orcs are meant to be strong and powerful, but still overpriced. My main concern was that the Orcs would be too good and people would mostly forgo the Goblins. Of course as this is the very first version of the Faction it is very much so subject to change.

With the drummer, EEaW has an ability called forced march used by Brandenburg Prussia, which should work identically to Pursue. As for marching beat I have absolutely no clue how I'll code it.

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

The_Quixotic_King wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:50 pm
Atreides wrote: March 26th, 2021, 7:19 pm You don't mention xp (fairly important stat). My impressions are the L0's are a tad too cheap while the rest are too expensive (but that's OK to balance the faction as a whole rather than unit by unit). The drummer is a very interesting unit, I am intrigued by how those abilities would be programmed.
With the drummer, EEaW has an ability called forced march used by Brandenburg Prussia, which should work identically to Pursue. As for marching beat I have absolutely no clue how I'll code it.
I was gonna suggest something with a turn end event, modify max moves and reset it next turn end but I just remembered that Bob's RPG era already has a movement booster ability! That should work.
The_Quixotic_King

Atreides wrote: March 30th, 2021, 3:07 am
The_Quixotic_King wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:50 pm
I was gonna suggest something with a turn end event, modify max moves and reset it next turn end but I just remembered that Bob's RPG era already has a movement booster ability! That should work.
Ah Good to know, thank you.

MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

There is a lot of similarity between the default northerners and the recruits of the last horde, so I decided to further exaggerate that theme and created an era where the last horde is implemented by using default orcish units - while still preserving its distinct playstyle. This may be an unusual way to give feedback, but hopefully some aspects of this little era will prove useful to you. It can't hurt to try it out, that's for sure :D

Recruits:
Goblin Pikeman = Goblin Spearman
Gobin Arqebusier = ???
Orcish Superior = Orcish Leader
Goblin Drummer = ???
Orcish Streletz = Orcish Crossbowman
Orcish Clan Warrior = Orcish Warrior
Goblin Rider = Wolf Rider
??? = Orcish Assassin

Implementation:
The_Last_Horde.zip
(761 Bytes) Downloaded 143 times
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
The_Quixotic_King

Goblin Level up Tree
For some of the larger unit trees I thought I'd devote a whole post to them, I'll go back and do one for the Weinburgish Infantry, who also has a large tree but first, the Gobbo's. The basic idea is that from only these two units you can produce a cohesive and varied force.
Goblin_Pike - Copy.png
Goblin_Pike - Copy.png (16.35 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
I won't go over the two lvl0 units.

At the top on the lvl 1 row you have the two level ups of the Goblin Arquebusier. First off at the top

Goblin Bombardier
lvl=1
cost=18 (not-recruitable typically)
hp=28
mp=5
attacks:
Saber
melee 5-2, blade
Hand-Mortar
ranged 16-1, impact, slows

Goblin Musketeer
lvl=1
cost=17 (not recruitable)
hp=26
mp=5
attacks:
Mace
melee 6-1, impact
Musket
ranged 9-2, pierce
long shot
ranged 5-2, pierce, long range.

Goblin Lineman (Linegoblin? :hmm:)
(Note: Both the Goblin Pikeman and Goblin Arquebusier can level up into this unit)
lvl=1 (Not recruitable )
cost=17
hp=30
mp=5
Ability: Formation
attacks:
Bayonet
Melee 6-3, pierce
Musket
ranged 7-2, pierce

Veteran Pikegoblin
lvl=1 (not recruitable)
cost=16
hp=33
mp=5
ability: formation
attacks
Pike
melee, 7-3 pierce

Now finally the only level 2 Goblin.
Goblin Infantryman
lvl=2 (not recruitable)
cost=24
hp=38
mp=5
ability: formation
attacks:
Bayonet
melee 8-3, pierce
Rifle
ranged 10-2, pierce.

The Goblin lineman and his level up are meant to be a combination of the two lvl0 units.
Last edited by The_Quixotic_King on April 19th, 2021, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The_Quixotic_King wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:17 am Goblin Lineman (Linegoblin? :hmm:)
"Goblin of the Line" or some contraction of that could work. Breaks the Elvish Fighter, Orcish Shyde, etc. pattern, also sounds less like a sports reference.

Just a passing thought, not necessarily a good one.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects