The high elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Flare wrote:Major nitpickyness: I seem to remember that phoenixes live 1461 years or something like that. Also, uh...don't phoenixes have this nasty habit of regenerating in flames when they die, thereby rendering the obvious game mechanic somewhat broken?[/i]
To the first question, yes, but we could solve that by renaming the units:

Phoenix Fledgling -> Phoenix Erne -> Phoenix Raptor

As to the remaining questions, the phoenix regenerates in flames when it dies naturally, but I do not recall whether mythology tells what happens if/when it does not die naturally. I assume we could decide that it does not regenerate if it is killed by a foe instead of dying naturally, thus saving the game mechanic.

Is that satisfactory?
Flare

Post by Flare »

Yeah, I'm just being an idiot here. >.>

Wikiw:
The bird was also said to regenerate when hurt or wounded by a foe, thus being almost immortal and invincible — a symbol of fire and divinity.
Hey, 20 gazillion lemmings can't all be wrong...right?
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Flare wrote:Yeah, I'm just being an idiot here. >.>

Wikiw:
The bird was also said to regenerate when hurt or wounded by a foe, thus being almost immortal and invincible — a symbol of fire and divinity.
Thus we give it regeneration :P
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Flare

Post by Flare »

GENIUS!

Well, that might be kinda broken too. >.>
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Flare wrote:GENIUS!

But Woses and Trolls already have regeneration, why should it be broken if a bird has it?
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Flare wrote:GENIUS!

But Woses and Trolls already have regeneration, why should it be broken if a bird has it?
Having a unit, that has mostly 1 movement on every terrain, regen, high movement and good attack. This has to be balanced really well.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Oreb wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote: But Woses and Trolls already have regeneration, why should it be broken if a bird has it?
Having a unit, that has mostly 1 movement on every terrain, regen, high movement and good attack. This has to be balanced really well.
Well, when you put it that way....

Maybe we should go back to my original idea of having it start out as a little chick!

Phoenix Chick -> Phoenix Fledgling -> Phoenix Raptor

As a chick it would not be able to fly, but it would gain flight at level 2.
khamul

Post by khamul »

Temuchin Khan wrote: Phoenix Chick -> Phoenix Fledgling -> Phoenix Raptor
Suggestion: I believe there was some discussion a while ago of a 'dies to' unit tag, that would cause unit X, when killed, to turn into unit Y on full health. That would be a rather neat solution for the Pheonix instead of regeneration: instead of dying, it turns into a Pheonix chick instead. Only Pheonix Chicks can be killed.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

khamul wrote:Suggestion: I believe there was some discussion a while ago of a 'dies to' unit tag
Unnecessary, events would be quite sufficient for this.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I'm reluctantly starting to become convinced that the Phoenix would be overpowered in this faction. Maybe it should be dropped.

However, the High Elves will still need an air or water unit. Therefore, as I have suggested at the Imperial Era forums, perhaps we could give this faction one of the more humanoid creatures of Greek myth:

Code: Select all

Dolphin Rider -> Sea Nymph -> Nereid
Thought/comments?
Flare

Post by Flare »

Two objections (wow, I AM a nitpicker)

A) How the heck would someone riding a dolphin be able to focus enough on fighting to, you know, fight? I mean, dolphins like to do all sorts of acrobatic stuff, and using a spear while on one would be more than a bit weird.

B) What's the justification for promoting a dolphin to a nymph? Unless I've completely blanked out on my mythology (possible), there's no real connection.

How about:

Nymph -> Helead/Naiad-> Nereid
troodon

Post by troodon »

Here's a suggestion: focus on making one really good unit. If you succeed, move onto another one.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Temuchin Khan wrote:However, the High Elves will still need an air or water unit.
Why?
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Zhukov wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:However, the High Elves will still need an air or water unit.
Why?
Basic Faction structure, like your Steppe Orc's should have an air or water unit.

It is just on the basis that they have a unit that can move quicker in water, and can go through deep water.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Flare wrote:A) How the heck would someone riding a dolphin be able to focus enough on fighting to, you know, fight? I mean, dolphins like to do all sorts of acrobatic stuff, and using a spear while on one would be more than a bit weird.
A fair question. Dolphins, however, are carnivorous, and while they do not naturally attack humans, I do not doubt that they could be trained to do so. Besides, the nymph riding it could have a magic attack.
Flare wrote:B) What's the justification for promoting a dolphin to a nymph? Unless I've completely blanked out on my mythology (possible), there's no real connection.
You've missed the point. The nymph is riding the dolphin. Nereids were often portrayed riding dolphins and/or other sea creatures.
Flare wrote:Nymph -> Helead/Naiad-> Nereid
Interesting alternative set of unit names.