Alternate names for "Lawful" and "Chaotic&quo

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hermooz

Post by Hermooz »

Well, I guess the difference is that what now are "lawful" units prefer to wage traditional warfare while "chaotic" units opt for guerrilla tactics.
So the adjectives could represent this behaviour:
"bold" or "daring" for legal,
"sneaky" or "stealthy" for chaotic.
Neutral units simply would not have any adjective.

Just my 2c :-)
--
Fabrizio "Hermooz" Ermini
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

Lawful is not the opposite of chaotic. One describes behavior with respect to laws (not something we hear much about in Wesnoth otherwise), and the other with respect to order. Konrad fights with both units, so it's not as if some are good and others bad all the time.

This board is now established enough that searching the archives can be rewarding. See an earlier discussion of this issue.

I think somehow arranging it so we can just say "Day" and "Night" would be good.
The Eponymous Archon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yeah, so we could just change lawful to orderly (like I suggested) and there'd be no problem, right?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eponymous-Archon

"Orderly" would be better, though some might say that doesn't equal "day-loving".
The Eponymous Archon
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

Hermooz wrote:Well, I guess the difference is that what now are "lawful" units prefer to wage traditional warfare while "chaotic" units opt for guerrilla tactics.
So the adjectives could represent this behaviour:
"bold" or "daring" for legal,
"sneaky" or "stealthy" for chaotic.
Neutral units simply would not have any adjective.

Just my 2c :-)
I thought of this too, but thinking about it, don't you think there's nothing particularly "sneaky" or "stealthy" about big brawny orcs and trolls?
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Orderly sounds really odd. And it reminds me of a male hospital attendant.
Eponymous-Archon

quartex wrote:Orderly sounds really odd.
It is the opposite of chaotic.

I'd prefer going with something like "daytime" and "nighttime".
The Eponymous Archon
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Preferred fighting environment: Day, Night, None

Bland, but accurate.
st.patrik

Post by st.patrik »

how about daywalker and nightwalker?

or is that too fantastical?
Shade

Hmm, I vote for bland :)

Post by Shade »

Simons Mith wrote:Preferred fighting environment: Day, Night, None

Bland, but accurate.
Hmm, I change vote to bland :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
entropomorphic

Post by entropomorphic »

The only real issue here is that it's confusing to new users, right? If so, why not keep it lawful/chaotic internally and in unit definitions, but just display it differently in the UI? I like the idea of just having a Sun or Moon icon in the unit summary, maybe with a tooltip that says "This unit does 25% more damage during the day, and 25% less damage during the night." or vice versa.
Eponymous-Archon

That would be fine, but why not also change the internal wording to be more obvious? Since it wouldn't be seen externally, it could be "day" and "night".
The Eponymous Archon
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

entropomorphic wrote:The only real issue here is that it's confusing to new users, right? If so, why not keep it lawful/chaotic internally and in unit definitions, but just display it differently in the UI? I like the idea of just having a Sun or Moon icon in the unit summary, maybe with a tooltip that says "This unit does 25% more damage during the day, and 25% less damage during the night." or vice versa.

This is a good idea. Simple, easy to understand, and pushes the philological issues into the parts of the UI where it doesn't matter. Now, to see if it is easy to code up.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Personally I still like units having alignments that are lawful/neutral/chaotic.

This reflects the deeply-seeded Wesnothian belief and outlook that the day is governed by forces of law and order, and the night by chaos.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Eponymous-Archon

Dave wrote:Personally I still like units having alignments that are lawful/neutral/chaotic.

This reflects the deeply-seeded Wesnothian belief and outlook that the day is governed by forces of law and order, and the night by chaos.
Dave,

Does the number of people who find it unsatisfactory function as a working proof that the idea is not so deep-seated? :-)
The Eponymous Archon