Dark Elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nyr Oagorith

Dark Elves

Post by Nyr Oagorith »

personally i figured that there should be some race known as the dark elves, with white, black, or light purple skin, and white or black hair, and black or such armor, with some units such as:

dark elvish fighter
dark elvish corsair
dark elvish archer
dark elvish cavalry
dark elvish lord
dark elvish necromancer
etc.

and maybe some units connected to them like spiders and undead...

I dont have any pics etc., but I thought it owuld be a good idead for someone in the future to do this, or maybe even me...
I am the one you seek
Disto

Post by Disto »

I made a Drow a long time ago...
Attachments
drow-2.png
drow-2.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 4787 times
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:| It's not that I have anything against dark elves, it's just that I'm not going to make them.
I have enough on my plate making the high elves.

If you want something like this, expect to do a mighty load of work on your own.

I mean - the difference between me and you is, I said "boy it would be cool if wesnoth had (mermaids, high elves, etc.)". But then I started the long and arduous process of forging the several hundred images required.

Please do. I'm sure they would have a use, but, be aware that if you do this, you have to go all the way. You've got to make a bunch of units, regardless, and if you want them in the standard distro, you've gotta animate them, because I'm not going to.

:P You also have to do a good job - as an example of another project - a batch of units being prepared: the "marauders" - I would say that they are somewhere between 70-90% of the needed quality for mainline. They're getting mighty close to being finished - in their previous revision, they were at about 20-40%. Shadow, for another example, has done a good deal of work that *was* good enough to get used.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

quartex would want this 'drow' for the corrupted elf in scenario 3.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Are the high elves going to be ready for the next distro?
Sorry for the meaningless post
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

MadMax wrote:quartex would want this 'drow' for the corrupted elf in scenario 3.
D&D does drow and it does it well. But I think that drow/dark elves you describe in wesnoth would be a copy of the D&D drow, and so they're not a race I am that excited about seeing implemented. Elves don't have to have dark skin and white hair to be evil.

But if the artwork is good, I might use a drow unit for scenario 3. However my idea was the the corrupted elf was just a normal elf who had been corrupted by a dark entity, thus he should look somewhat like his old self. A drow unit might be a bit too much of a change.

Still if you want to make the artwork for a new race, more power to ya! Best of luck.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

romnajin wrote:Are the high elves going to be ready for the next distro?
Not a chance, I think. (Jetryl, correct me if i'm wrong). Mainly because the graphics aren't ready, but also because the unit idea would still need dave's approval, and there is a string freeze soon, so there is no chance for it to come in by 0.9.0.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Nyr Oagorith

Post by Nyr Oagorith »

disto- oh

jetryl- well I kinda figured that all the people who are thinking of making graphics for the game are already busy so I dont expect something soon related to this, and if I do this, the graphics themselves mostly wont be me, my friend alec (droftrah), who doesnt really know im here would be doing most of the actual drawing

madmax/quartex- i dont think dark would be good for corrupt elves, i mean in my opinion, because corrupt elves wouldnt change just because their intentions are now more....corrupt....
I am the one you seek
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I don't want to make a new race, I was just discussing using this unit's graphics.
Nyr Oagorith wrote:madmax/quartex- i dont think dark would be good for corrupt elves, i mean in my opinion, because corrupt elves wouldnt change just because their intentions are now more....corrupt....
My interpretation was that Garak was possessed by the undead leader. So yes, he would have been changed.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Disto

Post by Disto »

If you are thinking of DnD Drow then they are not entirely evil, only usually.
Creator of the Marauders
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:
romnajin wrote:Are the high elves going to be ready for the next distro?
Not a chance, I think. (Jetryl, correct me if i'm wrong). Mainly because the graphics aren't ready, but also because the unit idea would still need dave's approval, and there is a string freeze soon, so there is no chance for it to come in by 0.9.0.
They are at least a few revisions away. I do want them in before 1.0, though.

None of the animations are done, although I do have quite a few of the base images done.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Jetryl wrote:None of the animations are done, although I do have quite a few of the base images done.
If you ever feel the need for a motivation boost, you should throw what you have on the Art Forum. If they're to your usual standards, there'll be an orgy of enthusiasm. :P
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Hey, look what I found! Too bad this Nyr Oagorith dude doesn't hang around anymore, he'd probably like to see what we've come up with.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Assassin u fool u were around before this thread started. You haven't found it you've just unearthed it. And i believe he has posted in the dark elves thread.
Creator of the Marauders
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

yeah, your right, I was around before this came up, but I never posted in it before so I forgot about it. I remember someone saying that this idea was proposed before, so I thought I'd look it up. What's wrong with that?

And what's the difference between found and unearthed?
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.