Alternative Upgrade for Necromancer

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Without this unit, the ending of Eastern Invasion can never be challenging, because you will have 50 thousand holy units at your disposal. That is reason enough to put it in. I wholeheartedly support this unit's inclusion, if not for use in multiplayer then for use in EI.

As for the specific stats of the unit, I think that what EP has proposed is good, but 80 HP seems high, and I have a thing against numbers divisible by ten.... maybe 76? And the damage seems very low for a third level unit.

But it might just be a design choice to have the unit different from most other archers, by having lots of HP but little attack.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:But it might just be a design choice to have the unit different from most other archers, by having lots of HP but little attack.
Yeah, just like the Necromancer. If you want to complain, that's what you should be complaining about.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

How about something like this?
Sorry for the meaningless post
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

How about something like this?
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

A little more powerful looking then the necromancer, and a little darker
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

romnajin wrote:How about something like this?
Does this post have any point at all? :?

We already have graphics... or, at least had. they were located in this thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&start=75
Last edited by turin on March 12th, 2005, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Not really, I just thought that that was cool, and I didn't think that you should use that, just more of a concept.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

turin wrote:
romnajin wrote:How about something like this?
Does this post have any point at all? :?

We already have graphics... or, at least had. they were located in this thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&start=75
A existing copy is
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ecromancer
here
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Shadow wrote:
turin wrote: Does this post have any point at all? :?

A existing copy is
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ecromancer
here
Woot.

Does jetryl approve of those images to go in-game? If so, we're good to go. If not, can someone with some spare time work on improving them?
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:Does jetryl approve of those images to go in-game? If so, we're good to go. If not, can someone with some spare time work on improving them?
Yes. I approve.

Don't add in fancy animations, though - just add in a basic set of four frames (standing, melee, ranged, defense). I plan on doing to the undead magicians somewhat of what I did to the human magicians - reworking their magic animations. Needless to say, this will plow over anything included now, and we may as well not do so in the interests of keeping CVS clean. If we only add one frame for each animation, then I won't be deleting any frames, just replacing them.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Helicroml, shadow mage from Liberty wrote: Necromancers become slaves to their Lich masters and eventually lose their humanity. We have found that practicing the dark arts is not as hazardous as it may seem. The balance of light and dark is a mystical secret we hope to discover. As such, we live between both worlds, fitting into neither one.
A necromancer doesn't give a damn about turning into an undead.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Monkey wrote:
Helicroml, shadow mage from Liberty wrote: Necromancers become slaves to their Lich masters and eventually lose their humanity. We have found that practicing the dark arts is not as hazardous as it may seem. The balance of light and dark is a mystical secret we hope to discover. As such, we live between both worlds, fitting into neither one.
A necromancer doesn't give a damn about turning into an undead.
No, a normal necromancer doesn't. A necrophobic necromancer, oxymoronic as is may seem, would.

I, for one, would like to be able to raise the dead, but I sure wouldn't want to turn into a Lich.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Darkmoon

Post by Darkmoon »

I believe that Necromancer,... his search for power and all,... all that is with purpose of one day becoming a lich. That is Necromancer’s way to become immortal. And while being a Lich you will have eternity to gather knowledge and power….

I think it is goal in Necromancer’s life to become a lich… besides once you are a lich, you can still control/rise undead only now you are immortal,… stronger,… more powerful.

The only way for necromancer not to become a lich… is simply a case of necromancer not having the guts to go through with it. Considering that some weaker version,… of alternate advancement is acceptable.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

He is not afraid of turning himself into an undead because he is not afraid of undead. Only mortals would fear that, but the lich is already in another level. He doesn't see the undead as something "bad". The only ones that see it are players afraid of holy magic.

That brings my idea of dark magic again. All living things have -20% defense agains shadow magic, so liches would like to turn into undeads so they become imune against it. of course they would lose 20% defense to holy and become -100% weak to it.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Darkmoon wrote:I believe that Necromancer,... his search for power and all,... all that is with purpose of one day becoming a lich. That is Necromancer’s way to become immortal. And while being a Lich you will have eternity to gather knowledge and power….

I think it is goal in Necromancer’s life to become a lich… besides once you are a lich, you can still control/rise undead only now you are immortal,… stronger,… more powerful.

The only way for necromancer not to become a lich… is simply a case of necromancer not having the guts to go through with it. Considering that some weaker version,… of alternate advancement is acceptable.
Yeah - the whole doggone point of the "Undead" thing is BEING IMMORTAL. Not Dying. The power bit only exists to serve this function, by keeping others from killing you.

The only reason that no famed powerful people in human history have gone down the "immortality" road is because they kinda ... can't. Freedom from death by old age has not been realized yet. There are numerous people who have tried, though, and tried very hard. The whole of taoist alchemy (and western alchemy, too) came from research into how to "not die" when you got old. They never figured that part out, but they did figure a bunch of other stuff out.

That said, here's why this doesn't invalidate the bit in-game:
1] Necromancers might wait till they get old to go under the spell. In the process, they might become nearly as powerful at wielding magic as the average lich.
2] They might not want to do so right away, because the process is ostensibly not perfect. Sure, you gain eternal life, but it's a "ruined and terrible form of life", and is anything but pleasing to be in.
3] Another reason for this would be the given gameplay reason. By still being a living creature, they can't be dispelled by white mages. If they are undead, though, they are being kept alive by dark magic, and a white mage can wave his hands and make that magic go away.

Liches are needed as a storyline unit to fight. However, I would almost rather the necromancers leveled by default into the proposed unit.