Alternative Upgrade for Necromancer

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I've committed the unit to CVS, using the name Dark Sorcerer, but I don't want to add it as an alternative to lich yet.

If anyone has graphical revisions, etc, post them here or email them to me.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

I just had a brainstorm. At this point people are probably getting used to the idea as presented, but this could be another way to go.

Dark Adept > Black Mage > Necromancer
Dark Adept > Black Mage > Lich

- The black mage name is appropriately L2
- It fits nicely with our current set of colored mages
- Dark mage also works, but I already have dibs on a similarly named unofficial unit. It also might be redundant (Dark Adept/Dark Mage)
- There is no bad blood generated by rejecting the path to Lichhood. A black mage goes deeper into his evil magic and can decide:
-- Some are content to control the undead (a very difficult thing to do, so it's a L3 task). However, their magic isn't as powerful.
-- Some go for the ultimate prize and power of Lichhood. They're more powerful but obviously undead.
- The graphics for this new unit look more like a black mage and they are more at the L2 level of impressiveness (i.e. not very but not bad)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

scott wrote:I just had a brainstorm. At this point people are probably getting used to the idea as presented, but this could be another way to go.

Dark Adept > Black Mage > Necromancer
Dark Adept > Black Mage > Lich

- The black mage name is appropriately L2
- It fits nicely with our current set of colored mages
- Dark mage also works, but I already have dibs on a similarly named unofficial unit. It also might be redundant (Dark Adept/Dark Mage)
- There is no bad blood generated by rejecting the path to Lichhood. A black mage goes deeper into his evil magic and can decide:
-- Some are content to control the undead (a very difficult thing to do, so it's a L3 task). However, their magic isn't as powerful.
-- Some go for the ultimate prize and power of Lichhood. They're more powerful but obviously undead.
- The graphics for this new unit look more like a black mage and they are more at the L2 level of impressiveness (i.e. not very but not bad)
On one hand, part of me doesn't want to go down the final-fantasy name-ripping path, on the other hand ... what the hell...

Why not?
scott

Post by scott »

We're already 2/3 down that path!
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I know that you guys are going to kill me for this, because you have said repeatedly that you do not want abilities tacked on! But, you say that the L3 unit can raise the dead, yet he can't! Why not have a plague-similar idea that raises a walking corpse everytime the L3 kills a unit? You also mentioned the Lich being able to control the undead, so why not give it the ability to gain control of an undead that it "kills", for example, a lich kills a Deathblade, the lich gains control of the Deathblade. It would be named control undead. I know that WINR, and the main reason for these to be added would be realism, but, of course, liches, undead, and raising of the dead are not realistic either, so an acronym that should be tacked on would be WINMC(wesnoth is not mytholicaly correct).
Sorry for the meaningless post
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

romnajin wrote:I know that you guys are going to kill me for this, because you have said repeatedly that you do not want abilities tacked on! But, you say that the L3 unit can raise the dead, yet he can't! Why not have a plague-similar idea that raises a walking corpse everytime the L3 kills a unit? You also mentioned the Lich being able to control the undead, so why not give it the ability to gain control of an undead that it "kills", for example, a lich kills a Deathblade, the lich gains control of the Deathblade. It would be named control undead. I know that WINR, and the main reason for these to be added would be realism, but, of course, liches, undead, and raising of the dead are not realistic either, so an acronym that should be tacked on would be WINMC(wesnoth is not mytholicaly correct).
It's implied that undead are raised when they're recruited... At least that's what I've always thought.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Gafgarion wrote:It's implied that undead are raised when they're recruited... At least that's what I've always thought.
There was talk for a while about creating death and recruitment animations, which would've made this obvious, but it appears that project has fallen by the wayside. (thread, thread 2)
Author of Wercator
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Makes sense....
Sorry for the meaningless post
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

As a name, i've already submitted Death Archon/Necromancer Archon to the poll.
Being able to plague ( in melee) other units doesn't seem like going too far, after all, is mainly a caster, and a L3 one.

EDIT
The Archons are the leaders of the dark cults. Keeping their humanity and some sanity through sheer will, they fight alongside the undead with strong magical skills, spreading the dark arts.

Just my idea... and now that i think, Dark Archon would fit too, it's also term-friendly with Dark Adept.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

Why not use CHAOS MAGE for one of the lv?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

1) The unit is already committed and named, and I'm quite happy with the name. Its unlikely to change. :)

2) The purpose of the unit is not to be a leader, so Archon makes no sense.

3) However, I like the name Archon. Mal-Ravanal is currently an Ancient Lich, which makes no sense, since that is a special unit type, for Gwiti. I'm thinking of making him into a new type, called "Fallen Archon" of something like that. Opinions?

4) I think the term Chaos Mage would not fit with any branch of the dark adept line.

5) ...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

turin wrote:1) The unit is already committed and named, and I'm quite happy with the name. Its unlikely to change. :)

2) The purpose of the unit is not to be a leader, so Archon makes no sense.

3) However, I like the name Archon. Mal-Ravanal is currently an Ancient Lich, which makes no sense, since that is a special unit type, for Gwiti. I'm thinking of making him into a new type, called "Fallen Archon" of something like that. Opinions?

4) I think the term Chaos Mage would not fit with any branch of the dark adept line.

5) ...

Archon sounds good by itself. It may have a connotation of referring to a living person, but that's not definitive.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

So will the sorcerer-guy ever be added to the normal multiplayer?
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Ankka wrote:So will the sorcerer-guy ever be added to the normal multiplayer?
No, because he's level 3, and you only have level 2 leaders and level 1 recruits in normal multiplayer.

If, on the other hand, you mean added as an alternate upgrade for Necromancer for all of Wesnoth, that seems likely, though perhaps not guaranteed, to happen (eventually).
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

If u can get an actual non-undead Archon as an advance for the necromancer in multiplayer, i would be pleased.

Maybe i'm not too fond of a skeleton in rags and like better the idea of a powerful necromancer, albeit a little insane.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004