Obscured Folklore Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Edwylm

Obscured Folklore Era

Post by Edwylm »

Welcome to the Obscured Folklore Era. As it suggests this era is touching mainline lore and with the idea of expanding it. All it needs is testing. This is the first time I am making a add-on so advice or tips are welcome. I plan on uploading it this 6/9/2018

Firstly, many units and races are added. However, I have removed/replaced mounted flying units and gun units.
More units/levels for; humans, Orcs, Trolls, Saurains, dwarves, elves, drakes, and goblins.
Non mainline races are;
Brungar, Salamaders, Lavinian, Marauders, Sidhe, Arendain, Issaelfr, High Elves, Shogunate, Neanderthals, Aragwaith, Akladain, Northmen

Some changes. Many of the dwarves are now “Mountain dwarves” than just “dwarf”. Mainline “Elfs” are now “Wood Elves”
Other races/units I plan on adding are merfolk, nagas, dark elves, undead and possibly others if others suggest more.

Descriptions of races/units will be added/changed after upload and testing can begin.

here is a tease of a few units. ;)
Spoiler:
Secondly I have added 4 new attack types; energy, electric, wedge, and impale.
Energy is a type-less/raw magic based attack, blade will be based a slash attack, pierce is a the basic pierce, wedge is a blade attack with properties of impact, impale is pierce with impact properties, electric is electrical shock based attack.

What does this mean?
Most axe based weapons will be wedge attacks. Reason to change to this way is because axes do not work well with a slash like attack. Axes tend to have better penetration with armor and wood due to the weight and momentum. So Wose, skeletons armored and larger creatures will have less resistance to axes .
Impale attacks will be javelins, some arrows/bolts, picks, and other piercing weapons that would use momentum. These too have armor piercing properties and are much better taking on armored/larger units.
Electrical shock does a lot of damage to those that are metal armored/water based units. Not sure about if it be good against flying units.
Energy will be a stable attack for 90% of the units.
Lastly after testing works out the balancing and bugs I'll add in more factions most notably undead.
I have a idea of having the skeleton's upkeep to -1 so level 1 skeletons would have 0 upkeep and level 2 would have 1 upkeep etc. Along with being unable to heal without a dark adept unit line or other necromancer type units. Though I would have it as level 1 would not get any healing from villages or gain health from resting. Level 2 would be able to gain health from resting and not from villages. Level 3 and high would get all healing types.
Though those that “unconstrained” trait will be able to gain health from villages and resting from level 1. As they are not dependent on a necromancer to live.
As to balance the upkeep I would make the dark adepts costing a bit more upkeep or recruitment cost goes up (as they are few in numbers and are now more important their costs are high).
Ghouls wouldn't, walking corpus and spirits will not change. However pledge weapon special might be changed or removed..
With this part, help will be needed as I believe the AI needs to be changed and not sure how to stop the healing part.
Note many units and resources in this era are from Era of Magic, UBER Era, Extended Era, Reign of Lords, Rashy Era, Era of the Future, Archaic Era, Era of Myths, Era of Strife, Era of Chaos, Feudal Era, Imperial Era, Mercenaries Era, Ageless Era,Hammers Era, Descendants of the Dragon Era, New Order campaigns, Caved in Stone campaigns, creator dingo7 artwork and many more. If I forget someone/era/campaign from the list please message me and I'll add it. If any other content creator doesn't want their works in my era please let me know.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Obscured Folklore Era

Post by octalot »

About to look at this now (just downloaded it), but have you considered splitting it with the images in a separate resource pack (as Ageless and Era of Magic now do)? Edit: many of the images seem to be already in Wesnoth's core, so don't need to be copied in the add-on (and the transparent/non-transparent split is no longer used in Wesnoth 1.14).

The link to the feedback thread is broken - it should be either t48316 or p629592, not t629592.

It doesn't load, which looks like a problem with a case-sensitive directory name. However, having renamed that directory from "Hero" to "hero" the era still isn't showing up in the era list.

Code: Select all

Details:

Macro/file '~add-ons/Obscured_Folklore_Era/units/elves/hero' is missing
    at ~add-ons/Obscured_Folklore_Era/_main.cfg:60
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

octalot wrote: July 4th, 2018, 10:08 pm About to look at this now (just downloaded it), but have you considered splitting it with the images in a separate resource pack (as Ageless and Era of Magic now do)?

Edit: many of the images seem to be already in Wesnoth's core, so don't need to be copied in the add-on (and the transparent/non-transparent split is no longer used in Wesnoth 1.14).
Sorry for a late response. I will look into separating it into a separate resource pack. Still relatively new to the newer code and finding many bugs.
As with the images I'm in the long phase of removing images that are deemed not needed. Though I might keep some of them as I have read that the faction/race sprites are being updated in the future.
The link to the feedback thread is broken - it should be either t48316 or p629592, not t629592.

It doesn't load, which looks like a problem with a case-sensitive directory name. However, having renamed that directory from "Hero" to "hero" the era still isn't showing up in the era list.
Thanks for reporting some of the bugs/errors I have made. I am planing on uploading a big update this weekend.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Very cool era! I'm going to be using some units in my campaign.

Some things I noticed immediately:
Ram Rider's spear attack is missing its icon. It is invalid.

I imagine any other unit which uses this icon is invalid, too.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Nice era so far. All that needs to be said is that maybe some of the many small factions could be conjoined to make a few big factions? Some of those factions are just one race, which can sometimes make them tiny and unvaried. For example, your elves and high elves don't have to be separate. They could join forces; after all, they are both elves, but then again, I see that you've added some levels to the mainline elves. But really, it's a very nice era.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

tribes55 wrote: August 14th, 2018, 1:30 am Some things I noticed immediately:
Ram Rider's spear attack is missing its icon. It is invalid.

I imagine any other unit which uses this icon is invalid, too.
Yes, I am still working on the micro coding, there are still many units that still to have the attack icons added. Though last time I checked it shouldn't cause the era to break. I'll Work on making a update soon. PM me a list of units you like to have in your campaign, I'll update them first so you can use them without any problems. The chariots I still need to add in the animations (still learning the newer animation coding).
ResExsention wrote: August 14th, 2018, 10:27 pm Nice era so far. All that needs to be said is that maybe some of the many small factions could be conjoined to make a few big factions? Some of those factions are just one race, which can sometimes make them tiny and unvaried. For example, your elves and high elves don't have to be separate. They could join forces; after all, they are both elves, but then again, I see that you've added some levels to the mainline elves. But really, it's a very nice era.
Well, the Ogres and Wose I do plan on adding more units in which you have seen I'm working on the Wose ;). But I see what you mean and there are some factions that are too big and too small. I am thinking of making a era with more variation. If you have suggestions on factions feel free to post your ideas. :D
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Well, I never expected you to reject my idea LOL :) . But it is a unique idea. I can't wait to see what sort of new factions and units you come up with!

And you said you were trying to learn the newer animation coding. Do you mean learning how to offset an animation? Like they do in the Cavalryman line?

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Another problem that I found needs addressed.
The Dwarvish Lord picture, located in images/units/dwarves/lord.png overrides its core counterpart, which isn't allowed for add-ons. Gotta fix that to move on. Renaming it to something like "oelord" or something will fix it.

Great work friend!
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

ResExsention wrote: August 15th, 2018, 7:52 pm And you said you were trying to learn the newer animation coding. Do you mean learning how to offset an animation? Like they do in the Cavalryman line?
Well its easy to do if its a single image but when it involves more than 1 image animation its different.
tribes55 wrote: August 18th, 2018, 2:44 pm Another problem that I found needs addressed.
The Dwarvish Lord picture, located in images/units/dwarves/lord.png overrides its core counterpart, which isn't allowed for add-ons. Gotta fix that to move on. Renaming it to something like "oelord" or something will fix it.
I never ran into that problem while playing core games. However I have changed it along with some others that might cause similar issues.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Yeah, but if you need to learn the way to offset a sprite, there are several places for you to learn.

But I suppose we can close that conversation now. Is Obscured era supposed to be a multiplayer era? With all that balancing stuff? I was wondering.

And my opinion of it remains the same. I really like it. Very interesting era with very interesting sprite art. :D

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well the idea was that it is suppose to be a multiplayer era. But I am some open to ideas. There have been some suggestions on making a campaign using the era but I don't have the time and balancing/bugs are still a problem.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Whenever I hover over a chariot unit, it says that the charge attack does 0 damage, but when you attack, it does its normal damage. Any idea why?

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

depending on whos turn it is. if the turn is not the owner of the unit that has "attack only" calculates it as 0 because it doesn't allow the unit to use that attack while defending. when its the owners turn it is not on defense stance but attacking. its the same for "defense only" but vice versa. Its nothing to be feared.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

That may be confusing to a player who doesn't completely understand the context.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well if you have your cursor over the name "attack only" it should pop up the description but I need to add in the special notes within the unit descriptions themselves. That should make the context clear. The ability is from the Extended Era but I noticed that the 1.14 makes it noticeable than 1.10. Not sure on how to prevent confusion besides adding in the description that the 0 just represents that it doesn't allow that weapon to be used defensively.