Obscured Folklore Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Obscured Folklore Era

Post by Ravana »

There are at least 3 implementations of such ability, each working slightly differently.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

What's the point of making it have the ability it does now? I doubt it would affect balancing much at all. I don't see how it would be consequential.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

It is a way to counter/limit the "interrupt" ability with the attack only. Also it just provides more diverse game play. But that was my idea anyways.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Hey Edwylm,

I've been enjoying a lot of the units from your era. Great work. I got some feedback for you, and a request. I'll start with the latter;

Me and a friend (Res) are working on a campaign, and to increase unity diversity, plan on including your Master Javelineer unit. However, the unit lacks any animations. If you get the time, could you add animations for this unit?

The "OE War Chariot" unit doesn't sit well with me. Comparatively, it is very underwhelming. Its sword does not look intimidating at all. It's more of a dagger, which makes sense for its model. But that weapon does not go with a chariot well. I'd recommend changing this unit to include a different weapon, perhaps make it ranged focus.

Another unit I have the same problem with: Battle Chariot

Over-all, a lot of work has gone into your era. I like it a lot. Great work. I wouldn't give so much feedback if I didn't really enjoy it.
Cheers
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Thanks and I'm glad you are enjoying the Era! :D
tribes55 wrote: August 28th, 2018, 9:45 pm Me and a friend (Res) are working on a campaign, and to increase unity diversity, plan on including your Master Javelineer unit. However, the unit lacks any animations. If you get the time, could you add animations for this unit?
Well the Master Javelineer unit I use is from Rashy Era and Reign of the Lords and is found in other add-ons. I'll look to see if the original creator or others have created animations for it. If not I'll create some animations:).

The "OE War Chariot" unit doesn't sit well with me. Comparatively, it is very underwhelming. Its sword does not look intimidating at all. It's more of a dagger, which makes sense for its model. But that weapon does not go with a chariot well. I'd recommend changing this unit to include a different weapon, perhaps make it ranged focus.

Another unit I have the same problem with: Battle Chariot
I see. :hmm: There are some ideas That could fix that.
  • Well I could give it a support type role as I already have a ranged focused chariot.
  • Another idea might be having it as a mixed fighter giving them a range attack too or even strip it down to calling it a scout unit.
  • As to a different weapon its possible to change it to a javelin, axe or warhammer.

Though it sounds very menacing facing a chariot that throws axes at enemies or even wielding a warhammer. Perfect timing as I am about to do more edits on the chariot sprites as requested by Res. Might come up with new ideas from your feedback.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Hey Edwylm,

It has recently been reported in the discord that more of your models are overriding core, main-line models.
Your old Sea Serpent and Tentacle of the Deep sprites override the current, core models.

Could you fix this in your next update?

Thanks!
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well looks like I forgot some, yeah I'll push my next update earlier so that this issue will be resolved for mainline game play.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

I updated the add-on.
I fix the images that overwritten the core images; Ancient Lich, Sea Serpent, and Tentacle of the Deep.
Started placing in the description on where they are from and which sprites I have edited. There are many more I have to place in.
Removed images that were not planed on being used.
Lastly Some descriptions were added/edited.

Now in a upcoming update. I will place it in a spoiler for those that don't want it to be soiled.
Spoiler:
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey, just reporting there's a missing closing quote " at the end of units/saurians/Champion.cfg line 18.

p.s. who else thinks that the old serpent and tentacle of the deep were so much cuter!!
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Inky wrote: September 11th, 2018, 5:07 am Hey, just reporting there's a missing closing quote " at the end of units/saurians/Champion.cfg line 18.

p.s. who else thinks that the old serpent and tentacle of the deep were so much cuter!!
Aye, if you could fix this in your next update that'd be great--- It's causing my campaign not to work.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

If this add-on causes your one to not work, then that's likely more of a problem than the missing ", unless you use units from the the Folklore Era.

Looking at _main.cfg I have a few suggestions:
1) Textdomains accept no description, but a path. A common mistake is also to add the path, but to not create a directory with that name.
1b) The textdomain you defined there has another name than the one which you use at the top of the file.
2) You have the binary path defined twice, best drop the one outside the #ifdef MULTIPLAYER
3) You can use [units] instead of [+units], the later one is the old way.
3b) Any specific reason you use [+language] instead [language]? I don't know how this interacts if multiple add-ons defined it (i.e. EoMa / Ageless)
4) Lines such as {~add-ons/Obscured_Folklore_Era/units/} include all files from that directory into the file you currently are. Imagine it as a cut-and-paste. It makes nothing with images (for having them easily available you did set up a [binary_path]). As there are no files in that directory but only sub-directories it doesn't do anything either.
5) I'm not sure if you do anything with the files in {~add-ons/Obscured_Folklore_Era/factions/level_0/}

But I'm relieved to see that you use a prefix for all the unit type ids, it's the most common cause of add-ons interfering with each others. I'm not sure what problem tribe55 means.

For the one unit file, have a look at line 8 too.
If you want to go deeper than copy-pasting units from other eras:
- the recommended animation syntax is to give a start_time once, and for each frame a duration instead of giving each frame an start and end time (have a look at some unit from mainline)
- there's an useful macro, {SOUND:HIT_AND_MISS}
- {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} should not be used anymore, same for {SOUND:SLOW} and {SOUND:POISON}
Try out the dark board theme.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

tribes55 wrote: September 11th, 2018, 11:21 am
Inky wrote: September 11th, 2018, 5:07 am Hey, just reporting there's a missing closing quote " at the end of units/saurians/Champion.cfg line 18.

Aye, if you could fix this in your next update that'd be great--- It's causing my campaign not to work.
I'll get a minor update earlier today. I have removed the Wose faction as I am currently testing the Woses units out along with seeing this spaming in the logs causing lag to to game.
Spoiler:
From testing it might be the new Woses. However this only comes up when the AI is playing them, when I was playing no errors happened. So I have the units in the add-on but can't play unless you add it in yourself. So anyone want to help find out whats going on as I have no clue what the error is. :augh:

I also removed some things that were redefining. But this has caused some unit's movement costs/defense to change not sure which units. Just giving heads up on that part.
Shiki wrote: September 11th, 2018, 3:37 pm Looking at _main.cfg I have a few suggestions:
1) Textdomains accept no description, but a path. A common mistake is also to add the path, but to not create a directory with that name.
1b) The textdomain you defined there has another name than the one which you use at the top of the file.
2) You have the binary path defined twice, best drop the one outside the #ifdef MULTIPLAYER
3) You can use [units] instead of [+units], the later one is the old way.
3b) Any specific reason you use [+language] instead [language]? I don't know how this interacts if multiple add-ons defined it (i.e. EoMa / Ageless)
4) Lines such as {~add-ons/Obscured_Folklore_Era/units/} include all files from that directory into the file you currently are. Imagine it as a cut-and-paste. It makes nothing with images (for having them easily available you did set up a [binary_path]). As there are no files in that directory but only sub-directories it doesn't do anything either.
5) I'm not sure if you do anything with the files in {~add-ons/Obscured_Folklore_Era/factions/level_0/}

For the one unit file, have a look at line 8 too.
If you want to go deeper than copy-pasting units from other eras:
- the recommended animation syntax is to give a start_time once, and for each frame a duration instead of giving each frame an start and end time (have a look at some unit from mainline)
- there's an useful macro, {SOUND:HIT_AND_MISS}
- {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} should not be used anymore, same for {SOUND:SLOW} and {SOUND:POISON}
#1and2 are fixed, #1b well if it doesn't break the add-on without it I'm fine with not adding it in until later.
#3 Yeah they were older code but it didn't cause it to break. #3b well it was used with older versions for add-ons like the Imperial Era.
#4 well I'm having issues with that not working if you could point the direction on how to do it that be grateful.
#5 the main use for that is to test the level 0s and play with them. I'll likely replace them with a different setting like a rpg or era.

As with "MAGENTA" part I am slowly removing it from the files along with other code that is not needed.
With animations I'll keep that in mind.
If you have other suggestions please feel free to post. :)

But I do have a question on whether my add-on is over-righting other add-ons.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

An update to the era is close at hand however there is 1 main problem that still remains is what is causing this error in the log folder.
Spoiler:
I have tried isolating units and coding that might cause this error. But to much disappointment I can not pinpoint what is causing this. After testing, the error seems to disappear in the logs over time. It started to come back after I started adding in new units.

So if anyone has any ideas of where I can look to fix this it would be much appreciated. This error is the main thing preventing me from updating the era.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

That error essentially means that it tried to place a UI element that requires width=133,height=80 pixels, but there was only width=130,height=80 pixels available. So the way to try to find the source of the error would be to just watch the log as you click through various things on the UI and see what is currently being displayed when the error is logged. It's possible that this could actually be a bug with Wesnoth, since similar kinds of errors have been reported before, but without a way to reproduce it, it's difficult to really say much more.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Pentarctagon wrote: October 24th, 2018, 6:51 am That error essentially means that it tried to place a UI element that requires width=133,height=80 pixels, but there was only width=130,height=80 pixels available. So the way to try to find the source of the error would be to just watch the log as you click through various things on the UI and see what is currently being displayed when the error is logged. It's possible that this could actually be a bug with Wesnoth, since similar kinds of errors have been reported before, but without a way to reproduce it, it's difficult to really say much more.
Thanks I found the bug, It seems to be the game lobby https://gyazo.com/43ddafdeda9c1200516adc72b6dbf7aa usually happens when scrolling. I'll put more details about it in the section where to report bugs.