Moonday Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DopeKiwiWarrior
Location: Inside your mom, she ate me, send help before I dissolve.

Re: Moonday Era

Post by DopeKiwiWarrior »

Hey! Big announcement.

We have now, after a while of inactivity, jumped 5 secondary versions (to explain, every secondary version was meant to be a faction added - 0.0.0 was Erimia, 0.1.0 was Cult, 0.2.0 was Saytara, you get it). That means we are on version 0.8.0 - which in turn means all planned factions have been made playable!

For now, I am done, maybe I'll be learning some pixel art to become self-reliant in the mean time. It's your turn to work on the era now - I need all of your balance feedback, bug reports, language suggestions, art or anything that you might have on your mind after playing my creation.

So go play it and return with some words of praise, wisdom or encouragement for me.

Thanks in advance,
DopeKiwiWarrior
Creator of Moonday Era, go check it out! (And critique the hell out of it, because it needs it.)
IPS

Post by IPS »

Regards! Sorry for not being available at forums.

Also, it's extremely easy to help you at Discord chat service, the only few things you need to know are: I can grant real time feedback if we both we're online,just that I need more or less detailed information to can proceed. And on these conditions I'm much more motivated to help :mrgreen:
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Can-ned_Food

Re: Moonday Era — precursor for contributions

Post by Can-ned_Food »

I'm yet waiting for 0-8-7 to add descriptions for every unit_type so that i can begin doing more sprites. I'm busy with much at the moment, but i'm also working on the Wildborn, Soilborn, and Emberborn.
Some questions:
  • What is their garb? Robes, tunics, or something else?
  • How short are they?
  • Slender or rotund?
  • What are the differences between the Erimiós and humanoid?
Folks, don't forget to encourage DKW to write more descriptions, in either Czech or simple English!
I promised that i would write more colorful descriptions in English.

Or, are you waiting for me to write such descriptions for the ones which you already have?
DopeKiwiWarrior

We back boys!

After a hiatus that took way longer than expected, I am back to working on Moonday! A minute ago I rolled out an update containing unfinished balance for Yanka. I also see I have gained around 150 downloads over my time away from the era, which is cool. Almost at 500 now, seems unbelievable. Question is if anyone played it for more than one time after they saw the way it looks :lol:

Has anyone survived the wait or did you lose interest in the past 3 months?
Creator of Moonday Era, go check it out! (And critique the hell out of it, because it needs it.)
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

campaigns
Maybe you would like to do a few mini-campaigns so as to help bring new users in? Or, one big campaign — which, if done well, would take a nontrivial amount of work to make it be interesting; however, I think that more people will comment on campaigns than on eras. Especially if the campaign has a lot of interesting story twists and makes good use of persistent heroes. Scenarios where you need to choose between two different allies, or whether to attack or evade an enemy, and having those play a role later in the campaign.
There is a bit of WML or Lua work to do when making a campaign like that, but all the preliminary planning will be what makes it memorable or forgettable — and, of course, all that will get transferred over to your era, also.
downloaders and my maps
As for the download count and lack of feedback: don't lose heart.
For comparison: My old map-pack released only for 1-12 had somewhere around 850 downloads. Aside from a few people in Europe and South America, I don't think many people use my maps and even fewer offer me critiques. They certainly aren't popular enough for people to host games with them and expect a decent turnout from the lobby.
In fact, almost all of the games hosted which used one of my maps were those which I hosted. I rarely got people to join. This was when 1-13 was available but not used by too many except developers and the cutting–edge crowd. When 1-14 was published, I had almost nobody in the 1-12 lobby.

In fairness, I suspect that a lot of players don't know how to critique a map or to suggest improvements. Furthermore, a lot of my maps are thematically radical: if someone doesn't like one of them, then they simply don't like the style of map; it isn't something which they can or would want to tweak, nor is it much a matter of playability.
Look at To Catch A Predator for example. Actually, that map did need a major retooling to make it less stagnant, which I have done but not released for 1-14 yet.

Now, I understand that playability of a map is not the same as that of an era. You are more likely to play a few times with an unknown era on a map known to be fun than you are vice versa.
encouragement
Anyway. If you like the era, and you are working to make it the best that you can, then that's all you can or should want to do.
As for me… well, I already told you what I like in an era. I want to know that the factions have a thorough, living history behind them. Your era appealed to me for that reason.

If it helps any, let me remind you that the only reason I haven't played Moonday yet is because I haven't gotten all the libraries necessary for me to build 1-15 from source. When that happens, then I'll play Moonday with you.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Almost a year of its last update, will it be continued, I do remember that rebalancing stuff here was entertaining, just that it needs original sprites >.<
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
DopeKiwiWarrior

IPS wrote: August 6th, 2019, 2:20 am Almost a year of its last update, will it be continued, I do remember that rebalancing stuff here was entertaining, just that it needs original sprites >.<
I have plans to work on this again, but I don't see myself making the art for the era as I am extremely untalented in that department. But at least I'll finish the balance with you and code the bonus races that are in the spreadsheet. I might make a campaign but I feel like it will be greatly cheapened by the lack of original art :/