Factions and Units from the World of Eragon

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ZkryEr

Factions and Units from the World of Eragon

Post by ZkryEr »

The Idea is simple, since a few years i love the story and books of Eragon.

I searched for an Eragon extension for Battle for Wesnoth for a long time and did not find anything. Now I will take it in my own hands and create this extension myself. In this post I explain which peoples I want to integrate, which units they will get and why I want to do it that way.

People:
  • imperium
    varden
    dwarves
    elves
    urgals

imperium units:
  • imperial spearman
    imperial swordsman
    imperial archer
    imperial magician
    imperial cavalry
    imperial dragon rider
    shadows
    urgals club fighter
    ra’zac
    lethrblaka
varden units:
  • human swordsman
    human archer
    human spearman
    human magician
    dwarven Ax fighter
    urgal club fighter
    urgal kull
    elves magician
    varden scout
    surda cavalry
    human dragon rider
    elves dragon rider
dwarves units:
  • dwarven ax fighter
    dwarven archer
    dwarven priest
    dwarven feldûnost-cavalry
    dwarven swordsman
    dwarven spearman
    az sweldn rak anhûin assassin
    vrenshrrgn
elves units:
  • elves swordsman
    elves spearman
    elves archer
    elves magician
    elves scout
    elves dragon rider
urgals units:
  • urgal club fighter
    urgal priest
    urgal swordsman
    kull
    urgal archer
    urgal scout
There are supposedly heroic units, I will create these after the basic units. To give examples of these heroic units: Eragon "Shadow Slayer" Bromsson, Nar Garzhvog, King Orrin, Galbatorix and King Hrothgar.

In keeping with the peoples and units, the expansion should include a scenario retelling the story and the opening of the expansion will include a single map reflecting the look of alagäsia.

Officially, there are only 4 books on the history of the Eragon and Alagäsia, but unofficially there is still fan fiction in particular the 5th part of Traeumer from the website http://www.fanfiktion.de has done to me and as soon as the main part of the project is completed I will possibly incorporate the events from the 5th. The book is available to my knowledge only as a German version.

Link to the 5th book: https://www.fanfiktion.de/s/4ecba37e000 ... ein-Anfang

If there are any suggestions where I can do something different or better, I would be glad about feedback.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Factions and Units from the World of Eragon

Post by Ravana »

You will be forced to rename mostly everything. viewtopic.php?t=34904#w0fpi9
ZkryEr

Post by ZkryEr »

Ravana wrote:You will be forced to rename mostly everything. viewtopic.php?t=34904#w0fpi9

Thanks for the hint! It's clear to me why I have to do that, but I also have to say honestly that I did not think about it because I do not want to achieve commercial success with the extension. My concern was only to provide like-minded people with this topic for their game and their fun
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

It's not about "commercial success" - it's because everything you release on the add-ons server must be under GLP license (or in case of art/music it can be now some variant of CC, I don't know exactly which). And you cannot relicense copyrighted material, including the names, the world, the map, and the events (namely everything you listed :eng: )
I too loved the Eragon books, but implementing anything like that into Wesnoth is not possible without severe renaming, relocating, and rewriting stuff. Just an example: A story of the rse and demise of an order with dragon riders is pretty OK in a fantasy world, but they surely can't be called Shur'tugal, and their capital can't be Vroengard. Or at least not on the official forums and the official add-ons server.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
ZkryEr

Post by ZkryEr »

WhiteWolf wrote:It's not about "commercial success" - it's because everything you release on the add-ons server must be under GLP license (or in case of art/music it can be now some variant of CC, I don't know exactly which). And you cannot relicense copyrighted material, including the names, the world, the map, and the events (namely everything you listed :eng: )
I too loved the Eragon books, but implementing anything like that into Wesnoth is not possible without severe renaming, relocating, and rewriting stuff. Just an example: A story of the rse and demise of an order with dragon riders is pretty OK in a fantasy world, but they surely can't be called Shur'tugal, and their capital can't be Vroengard. Or at least not on the official forums and the official add-ons server.

If I integrate the content in the private game then there should not be any problems, right? Because if I have it only privately in the game, no one can continue to grab it.
Suppose I get permission from the author (It's unlikely, but it's theory). Could you then "distribute" it here over the forum and above the server?

I am new here in the forum and do not know me, so my questions could possibly something "stupid" act. Sorry for that!
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I don't think it works like that.
Someone tried something similar with LotR. Didn't work.
IPS

Post by IPS »

You can just consider creating content, units that are inspired in world of Eragon but not those that are present in World of Eragon book.

For example, wesnoth can't have Ents because that would be illegal under the GLP license, but they can name it "Wose" which is likely a treeman that is more a tree and less a man than Ents.

Even for personal usage I do not think it might be legal at all, especially if you're playing privately with at least other person with other computer.

Come'on it's not that hard to modificate names of units, factions, places, lore, etc. By just doing this only diference your add-on could be published and everyone could use it with no problems.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide