Factions and Units from the World of Eragon

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Factions and Units from the World of Eragon

Postby ZkryEr » January 31st, 2018, 11:41 am

The Idea is simple, since a few years i love the story and books of Eragon.

I searched for an Eragon extension for Battle for Wesnoth for a long time and did not find anything. Now I will take it in my own hands and create this extension myself. In this post I explain which peoples I want to integrate, which units they will get and why I want to do it that way.

People:
    imperium
    varden
    dwarves
    elves
    urgals

imperium units:
    imperial spearman
    imperial swordsman
    imperial archer
    imperial magician
    imperial cavalry
    imperial dragon rider
    shadows
    urgals club fighter
    ra’zac
    lethrblaka

varden units:
    human swordsman
    human archer
    human spearman
    human magician
    dwarven Ax fighter
    urgal club fighter
    urgal kull
    elves magician
    varden scout
    surda cavalry
    human dragon rider
    elves dragon rider

dwarves units:
    dwarven ax fighter
    dwarven archer
    dwarven priest
    dwarven feldûnost-cavalry
    dwarven swordsman
    dwarven spearman
    az sweldn rak anhûin assassin
    vrenshrrgn

elves units:
    elves swordsman
    elves spearman
    elves archer
    elves magician
    elves scout
    elves dragon rider

urgals units:
    urgal club fighter
    urgal priest
    urgal swordsman
    kull
    urgal archer
    urgal scout

There are supposedly heroic units, I will create these after the basic units. To give examples of these heroic units: Eragon "Shadow Slayer" Bromsson, Nar Garzhvog, King Orrin, Galbatorix and King Hrothgar.

In keeping with the peoples and units, the expansion should include a scenario retelling the story and the opening of the expansion will include a single map reflecting the look of alagäsia.

Officially, there are only 4 books on the history of the Eragon and Alagäsia, but unofficially there is still fan fiction in particular the 5th part of Traeumer from the website http://www.fanfiktion.de has done to me and as soon as the main part of the project is completed I will possibly incorporate the events from the 5th. The book is available to my knowledge only as a German version.

Link to the 5th book: https://www.fanfiktion.de/s/4ecba37e0000529006704a38/1/Eragon-Band-5-Jedes-Ende-ist-ein-Anfang

If there are any suggestions where I can do something different or better, I would be glad about feedback.
ZkryEr

Re: Factions and Units from the World of Eragon

Postby Ravana » January 31st, 2018, 11:46 am

You will be forced to rename mostly everything. viewtopic.php?t=34904#w0fpi9
Ravana

Postby ZkryEr » January 31st, 2018, 12:19 pm

Ravana wrote:You will be forced to rename mostly everything. viewtopic.php?t=34904#w0fpi9

Thanks for the hint! It's clear to me why I have to do that, but I also have to say honestly that I did not think about it because I do not want to achieve commercial success with the extension. My concern was only to provide like-minded people with this topic for their game and their fun
ZkryEr

Postby WhiteWolf » January 31st, 2018, 1:13 pm

It's not about "commercial success" - it's because everything you release on the add-ons server must be under GLP license (or in case of art/music it can be now some variant of CC, I don't know exactly which). And you cannot relicense copyrighted material, including the names, the world, the map, and the events (namely everything you listed :eng: )
I too loved the Eragon books, but implementing anything like that into Wesnoth is not possible without severe renaming, relocating, and rewriting stuff. Just an example: A story of the rse and demise of an order with dragon riders is pretty OK in a fantasy world, but they surely can't be called Shur'tugal, and their capital can't be Vroengard. Or at least not on the official forums and the official add-ons server.
Author of the Underness Series, consisting of V parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Standalone works: The Ravagers - now published!
WhiteWolf
Forum Regular

Postby ZkryEr » February 2nd, 2018, 10:14 am

WhiteWolf wrote:It's not about "commercial success" - it's because everything you release on the add-ons server must be under GLP license (or in case of art/music it can be now some variant of CC, I don't know exactly which). And you cannot relicense copyrighted material, including the names, the world, the map, and the events (namely everything you listed :eng: )
I too loved the Eragon books, but implementing anything like that into Wesnoth is not possible without severe renaming, relocating, and rewriting stuff. Just an example: A story of the rse and demise of an order with dragon riders is pretty OK in a fantasy world, but they surely can't be called Shur'tugal, and their capital can't be Vroengard. Or at least not on the official forums and the official add-ons server.

If I integrate the content in the private game then there should not be any problems, right? Because if I have it only privately in the game, no one can continue to grab it.
Suppose I get permission from the author (It's unlikely, but it's theory). Could you then "distribute" it here over the forum and above the server?

I am new here in the forum and do not know me, so my questions could possibly something "stupid" act. Sorry for that!
ZkryEr

Postby BTIsaac » February 5th, 2018, 7:48 am

I don't think it works like that.
Someone tried something similar with LotR. Didn't work.
BTIsaac

Return to Faction & Era Development