Vampire Units

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glowing Fish

Vampire Units

Post by Glowing Fish »

I am not proposing a new unit as such, but am just bringing up a discussion. I think that since we are so close to Version 1.0, we shouldn't be introducing any new units.

If any of you haven't played "Burning Sands" yet, you certainly should. In one scenario, your units lose HP for every turn in daylight (more or less). So it is possible using WML to hurt units based on time of day.

Does anyone like the idea of a "vampire" unit, that, along with the normal chaotic penalties, loses an amount of HP during the day? I think that such a unit would be very interesting for a custom campaign. If I ever finish all the mainline campaigns, its the type of thing I might design for my own campaign.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Re: Vampire Units

Post by Darth Fool »

Glowing Fish wrote:I am not proposing a new unit as such, but am just bringing up a discussion. I think that since we are so close to Version 1.0, we shouldn't be introducing any new units.

If any of you haven't played "Burning Sands" yet, you certainly should. In one scenario, your units lose HP for every turn in daylight (more or less). So it is possible using WML to hurt units based on time of day.

Does anyone like the idea of a "vampire" unit, that, along with the normal chaotic penalties, loses an amount of HP during the day? I think that such a unit would be very interesting for a custom campaign. If I ever finish all the mainline campaigns, its the type of thing I might design for my own campaign.
Ok, first off, ignore all the posts that follow this about why certain people don't want vampires in wesnoth.

Second, for a custom campaign, such a unit would be cool, assuming the storyline is good.

Third, there is no need to worry about freezing units in custom campaigns. Also, introducing units in a custom campaign is probably one of the best ways to get a new unit added to the mainline by demonstrating scenarios in which the new units special qualities make it interesting to play with.

fourth: ignore all the posts that follow this about why certain people don't want vampires in wesnoth.
scott

Post by scott »

Darth Fool wrote: Also, introducing units in a custom campaign is probably one of the best ways to get a new unit added to the mainline by demonstrating scenarios in which the new units special qualities make it interesting to play with.
Although this has yet to happen to the units for whom it should most happen.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Darth Fool wrote:Ok, first off, ignore all the posts that follow this about why certain people don't want vampires in wesnoth.
rar =)
Shade

Ok- let's get this straight...

Post by Shade »

Ok- let's get this straight... Nobody has to ask if they want to make a unit. Really, just go ahead and make it. If there is need for it it will get used by some author somewhere eventually. If you want a unit that to be distributed with mainline Wesnoth (AKA the big tarball of love) well it:
-Better fill a needed gap. AKA- be a missing unit. What are the missing units? Umm, well that's being hashed out.
-Better be good enough that somebody with some authority will call it a missing unit and take up the cause.
-Be needed in a scenario that is included in mainline Wesnoth. (Given that the included campaigns are all nearly done the chances of this are diminishing rapidly)

But the near 1.0 status of the game really shouldn't prevent people from making units... Just don't expectation that they'll get included with the game. Indeed, after 1.0 'user units' should flourish as users won't have to write WML against a moving target.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

All this reminds me that I've been meaning to advocate the inclusion of the Goblin Standard Bearer (or whatever its name was). I really think it would be a cool unit to use in EI. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:All this reminds me that I've been meaning to advocate the inclusion of the Goblin Standard Bearer (or whatever its name was). I really think it would be a cool unit to use in EI. :)
Why don't you just stick it in EI? What's wrong with that?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
turin wrote:All this reminds me that I've been meaning to advocate the inclusion of the Goblin Standard Bearer (or whatever its name was). I really think it would be a cool unit to use in EI. :)
Why don't you just stick it in EI? What's wrong with that?
There are no scenarios that use orcs and are early enough to have the enemy fielding level 0-1 units.

Excccept....

I'll be working on this after 0.8.11 comes out. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

turin wrote:There are no scenarios that use orcs and are early enough to have the enemy fielding level 0-1 units.
You think that they'd be cool in your campaign but don't have anywhere to put them? What does that mean?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
turin wrote:There are no scenarios that use orcs and are early enough to have the enemy fielding level 0-1 units.
You think that they'd be cool in your campaign but don't have anywhere to put them? What does that mean?
what it means is that EI is not a campaign about fighting orcs, which is why only ~4 of the scenarios have orcish enemies at all.

and I actually do have somewhere to put them. :)
The World of Orbivm
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Shouldn't it be added to SotBE if somewhere? There the human would get to use it too...
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Glowing fish, if you want we can make a campaign together using vampires. I think that would be cool to make.
Something dark, like transyilvania, dracula, with wolves/ werewolves, bats, vampires, etc
It could be like an terror style campaign, I think I can make some +- units and a very good storyline, althought english is not my primary language, someone will have to "translate" what I write.
This could be a good opportunity to make that shapeshifter unit, there could be two units, one wolf, and one human, that are weak, but at night they both turn turn into werewolves. Two different units that turn into the same kind of unit during the night. The vampire could have drain and lose hp during day, we could even make another evolution to that level 0 and 1 bats up to level 3, in wich they would be stronger and more vampiric units.
I was thinking about making a LotR campaign, I'm already making the gandalf unit, but if you want to make a terror one just p.m. me and we'll talk.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Elvish_Pillager

Monkey wrote:I was thinking about making a LotR campaign,
Not a good idea. The first few scenarios will be "Sit there while the Ringwraiths roll dice and if they get a 6, that means they notice you and they kill you."

After that, the first real fight comes when they meet on Weathertop. Objectives: "Stab a Ringwraith to make them all flee."

Past Rivendell, the group is surrounded by Wolves. Objectives: "Resist for three turns so Gandalf can burn them and drive them away."

Then at the mountains: "Climb up and down Caradhras", then "Journey through Moria" which is just a scenario where you go from one end of the map to the other, and "Escape Moria" in which you leave Gandalf behind to die and then walk out with the rest.

You won't be recruiting or recalling, you'll have no cannon fodder, and half your units already have enough experience that being able to level up doesn't make any sense for them.

And so on.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Well, if you're so sure even when I have not yet shown my idea then I won't argue :wink:
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

Monkey - man, the real name for your unit is werewolf - if it change to wolf, weremonkey - if it change to monkey. Let the shapeshifter be please - give me more time to win my fight with GIMP and let me introduce this unit. TX
Just bored..