The Deep Elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

christucker

Re: The Deep Elves

Post by christucker » April 12th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Huge fan of the aesthetic&designs. I came across the deep elves via the ageless era add-on, which I tend to use a lot just out of convenience of having every option available at the same time. I instantly fell in love with them but they gave off a diamond in the rough- vibe with some units only leveling up to 2, not many animations(although the hover animation of the Matriarch alone is enough reason to play this faction lol), trample not giving exp for kills etc. so I thought I'd come here to beg you to expand on your awesome faction... But it looks like the problem is that the ageless era simply has an outdated version of Deep elves, judging by this thread. Any chance you could hit them up and get the current version for that as well? I play Wesnoth mostly with my friends and we always use the Ageless and play survivals and stuff so it'd be really great to be able to have the newest version to play with. Glancing over the new units and expanded unit trees I wet my pants, they all look so awesome.

That aside, playing the Deep Elves, albeit an obviously outdated version, alongside other factions from Ageless era showcased a slight lack of variety or flexibilty - for example nightmaiden and bloodmaiden felt extremely similar, there isn't really any impact damage and just an overall lack of tools for different enemies and situations became apparent especially with regards to sustainability, or lack thereof. Initially I figured this faction probably relies on drains or something - their design aesthetic somewhat alludes to blood - or other offense-related sustainability to go with the theme of picking your shots, hitting and fading and thriving in skirmish combat, but found no ways to outtrade factions with heals or better defenses. Although, I suspect some of these shortages may have been remedied already.
Really loved the distinct animations and overall uniform style of the units, though. Would love to see even more lv3's and lv4's; what makes the hugely popular era of magic so exhilirating, aside from the beautiful animations and designs, is that those factions tend to have multiple lv4 unit lines and it just makes playing with them super exciting.

This came out super rambly, sorry about that. But I'm a huge fan of your work and looking forwards to playing with Deep elves with my friends if you can get it included in the ageless era.

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana » April 13th, 2019, 8:53 am

Deep elves dont use unique prefixes, so updating it for ageless is lots of manual work. (Compared to Era of Magic where I run one script and then apply list of changes that ageless will have differently)

shevegen

Post by shevegen » April 13th, 2019, 2:30 pm

> nightmaiden and bloodmaiden felt extremely similar, there isn't really any impact damage

I guess it may always be possible to distinguish different units more.

Could be through simple differences, like time-modifiers or some semi-new abilities such as
becoming temporarily stronger after killing a unit e. g. for the next few rounds or something
like that.

I found that it always works best when the lore is done first, though. The lore then explains
differences that may become manifest through the abilities etc...

christucker

Post by christucker » April 13th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Ravana wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 8:53 am
Deep elves dont use unique prefixes, so updating it for ageless is lots of manual work. (Compared to Era of Magic where I run one script and then apply list of changes that ageless will have differently)
Aww, that's a damn shame. What a bummer. Suppose I'll have to vent my excitement for the faction in solo. This really is one of the best looking factions overall alongside stuff like the Aragwaiths and deserves to be among the rest...