Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera", for 1.16, 1.14, 1.12 and 1.10)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lea

Re: "Altered" era/ruleset

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:Its good it is added to the rules, that way no one else makes my mistake :D
those who do not read still can do that )
The_Gnat wrote:Great Era i look forward to the new factions!
first faction took a few months to complete and I had quite a lot of free time during these few months, so it is going to take a while...
The_Gnat wrote:Also in the multiplayer window the altered era just says "altered", all the rest say "XXXX era" so maybe you should make it say "altered era" (this is not really important just a thought i had), and there is no description for the altered era in the multiplayer menu.
it is intended to be a "ruleset" (while most eras are not) but there is no such UMC type on BfW addons server. as for description I probably should add it...
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

lea wrote:the first faction took a few months to complete and I had quite a lot of free time during these few months, so it is going to take a while...
That's no problem, take your time!! :D Also if you could PM me if you make any adjustments to your era's elvish units that would be great that way i can keep up with any modifications you make in the alternate version i am going to make!

Thank you!
lea

Post by lea »

how about subscribing to this topic? ("Subscribe topic" link at the bottom of this page, when you are logged in) all modifications are going to be listed in my "changelog" posts in this topic
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

lea wrote:how about subscribing to this topic? ("Subscribe topic" link at the bottom of this page, when you are logged in) all modifications are going to be listed in my "changelog" posts in this topic
Yeah i have, and that would be great if you could list any changes that way when my modification is finished it doesn't miss-out any work you have done. (but it probably will take a few weeks to gather and animate all the units pictures)
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:it probably will take a few weeks to gather and animate all the units pictures
looks like optimistic estimate to me )
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

lea wrote:
The_Gnat wrote:it probably will take a few weeks to gather and animate all the units pictures
looks like optimistic estimate to me )
Probably so... Considering how many other things i am doing at the same time :lol:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

lea wrote:version 0.1.3 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- fixed ad-hoc recruitment in villages and windmills not working in most setups
- added explanation for "commoner" units to "info about rules" right-click menu option. these are level 1 units that are intended to be "level 0 units with non-zero upkeep and zone of control"
- added traveler to ad-hoc recruit list and increased its price (used to be same as tender's price despite stronger attacks)

I unforetunately can still not recruit at villages... :doh:
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:I unforetunately can still not recruit at villages... :doh:
it works only for leaders of "altered" factions, i.e. only for "elves" faction for now. Did you try to do it with elven leader? also did you try to do it with windmills? village has to be owned for ad-hoc recruiting to work while windmill works regardless.

Maybe you can describe what you did or post a series of screenshots or screencast video to show your attempt?

here is how it looks for me (for BfW 1.12.6):
Spoiler:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

lea wrote:
The_Gnat wrote:I unforetunately can still not recruit at villages... :doh:
it works only for leaders of "altered" factions, i.e. only for "elves" faction for now. Did you try to do it with elven leader? also did you try to do it with windmills? village has to be owned for ad-hoc recruiting to work while windmill works regardless.

Maybe you can describe what you did or post a series of screenshots or screencast video to show your attempt?
Thanks for responding, yes i was trying to recruit using an elven leader have tried with each of the three elven leaders, and here is what the result was on village and windmill:

(REMOVED)

Maybe i am doing something wrong but I have looked at the code you have written and i don't see any reason why it isn't working??? :hmm: I also have bf 1.12.6 and have installed the most recent version of your altered era! And like i said before this is a elven leader.

EDIT: :lol: So silly.... I didn't click on the village/windmill instead i was right-clicking on the elven leader. Maybe you can make it a bit more clear in the rules at the beginning that you are supposed to click on the hex you are next to (and that it must be owned).

Sorry about wasting your time :mrgreen: (SOLVED)
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:EDIT: :lol: So silly.... I didn't click on the village/windmill instead i was right-clicking on the elven leader. Maybe you can make it a bit more clear in the rules at the beginning that you are supposed to click on the hex you are next to (and that it must be owned).

Sorry about wasting your time :mrgreen: (SOLVED)
If you had trouble understanding where to click for recruit option to show up then others may also have trouble with that. It looks like potential usability issue so this time is not necessarily wasted )
I am thinking how to make it more clear even for those who do not like to read descriptions of rules...
Last edited by lea on November 26th, 2016, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.1.4 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- added explanation for ad-hoc recruiting option, also now it can be activated on any map tile and shows why recruiting is impossible on chosen map tile when it is inappropriate or there is no recruiting unit nearby
- removed hotkey for dismissing to avoid using this function accidentally
Attachments
Altered 0.1.4.zip
(7.62 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by lea on February 1st, 2024, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.1.5 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- fixed level of Elven Marksman Hero (used to be 2 while should be 3)
- fixed advancement from Elven Tender Champion to Elven Tender Hero (used to be impossible because of typo)
- changed Elven Traveler's cost to 18 (19 felt too much)
Attachments
Altered 0.1.5 (core).zip
(3.94 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.1.5 (portraits).zip
(4.1 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by lea on February 3rd, 2024, 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.1.6 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- fixed fortify ability - now when unit moved from its starting spot and returned before ending its turn it is still considered moved and turns fortify ability off until start of unit's next turn
- smaller level badges (only for BfW 1.12.x for now to see if I will ever misread them because of smaller size). Versions of "Altered" with same version number are exactly same so if you prefer bigger level badges you can download "Altered" for BfW 1.10.7 (here: https://addons.wesnoth.org/1.10/) and manually copy it to your add-ons folder.

second "altered" race/faction still feels too half-baked - got to cook it some more )
Attachments
Altered 0.1.6 (core).zip
(4.12 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.1.6 (portraits).zip
(4.43 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by lea on February 3rd, 2024, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.1.7 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- reverted fix for fortify ability from version 0.1.6 - it used to turn fortify off when fortified unit attacked
- smaller level badges for both BfW 1.10.7 and BfW 1.12.x
Attachments
Altered 0.1.7 (core).zip
(4.15 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.1.7 (portraits).zip
(4.43 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by lea on February 3rd, 2024, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

copied from private conversation:
The_Gnat wrote:Hello lea, i have been playing your era more and have nearly completed the image modifications however i was wondering a few things:

Firstly i noticed that many of your units are called Archer Champion, Fighter Champion, Dancer Champion (they then advance to the hero version). Considering it i personally think it would sound more appropriate if they were called Champion Archer, Champion Fighter, Champion Dancer (no change is necessary to their advancements). No units id's would need to be changed but i think that if these units names were swapped so that the word Champion came first and the name second it would sound better. (just an opinion :D )

Secondly I was wondering if you would consider changing your era slightly so that all the units images came as a another resource add-on that was a dependency. Then rather than duplicating your add-on i would just create a optional replacement add-on which could be installed instead, players then could choose which images they wanted without effecting the actual code of the era at all. Also this everyone playing the era would be playing the same era rather than a entirely different era.

Altered Era Add-on > Default Unit Images Resource

- > My Alternative Unit Images

This is merely an idea and if you wish to keep your add-on how it currently is that is not any problem at all!

(EDIT) After looking deeper into your era unfortunately this would not be as simple as i hoped because not every unit has a unique sprite so i think i will instead duplicate your era because otherwise i would not be able to assign each unit a unique sprite.

Thirdly i noticed in the unit database for your era that the elven archer and all his advancements occur twice, are there actually two of each unit or is this just an error in the database?

Thank you