Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera", for 1.16, 1.14, 1.12 and 1.10)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lea

Re: "Altered" era/ruleset

Post by lea »

version 0.4.1 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- "fortify" ability and "braceable" attack special are reworked - now they do not work when unit walks off its initial position and then returns to it before ending its turn or attacking
- 'blocking' and 'parrying' attack specials are now ignored (do not increase user's defense) when opponent uses attack with 'mystical' attack special
- fixed 'blocking' attack special (it used to have no effect because of typo)
- fixed overflow of to-hit chance for 'feinting' and 'parrying' attack specials for high number of misses/strikes
- movetypes for Thanats are slightly changed, now flesh Thanats have a bit lower defense in some terrains than their skeletal counterparts
- renamed "fast" random trait to "swift"
Attachments
Altered 0.4.1 (core).zip
(5.22 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.1 (images of all units).zip
(3.11 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.1 (portraits for darguls and elves).zip
(5.74 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.4.1 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
(4.56 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great i love the new faction!!!! :D Undead have always been my one of my favorite after playing them some more i will tell you if i have any suggestions. Also i will get started working on new sprites for the Darguls.
lea

Post by lea »

suggestions are welcome ) my primary concern is whether I missed a sweet spot (and if yes then in what direction and by how much) for ghosts in terms of their reduced power and increased survivability (especially in villages) and for skeletons with their very uneven resistances (60% vs piercing, -20% vs impact, some also have 40% vs blade)
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.4.2 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- added "Altered" user interface theme, it is based on classic (BfW 1.10.x) default theme and supports low resolutions (as low as 800x480) without reducing size of fonts and minimap (by combining some elements on single line and cutting large part of attacks/weapons list unless it is very short)
- renamed altered elves to fey
- renamed elven fighter to fey fender, elven archer to fey ranger, elven marksman to fey stillflow
- renamed attack specials: barrier renamed to warding, cover - to covering, whirlwinding - to sweeping
- fixed warding (formerly barrier) attack special not working for attacking unit
- dargul arbitrator now has warding attack special for its piercieng attack - as it was initially intended
- fixed animations: aimed bow attack for female version of fey ranger (formerly elven archer), defense animation during call lightning attack of fey warden (bow defense animation was mistakenly used), defense animation during call hail attack of fey concord (bow defense animation was mistakenly used)
Attachments
Altered 0.4.2 (core).zip
(5.4 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.4.2 (images of all units).zip
(3.33 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.4.2 (portraits for darguls and fey).zip
(5.74 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.4.2 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
(6.04 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.4.3 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes (a lot of them, but they are all small things):

- changes in altered random maps:
added savanna (desert+forest) terrain and forests on hills,
amount of forest on flat terrain is slightly reduced to keep total amount of forest around same level,
great trees (a kind of "healing hamlet" terrain) in swamps (forest+swamp) are now dead to visually distinguish them from "regular" great trees (forest+flat),
replaced wells with oases,
removed muddy quagmire (alternative image for swamp tiles) because it looks too similar to some other terrains,
removed lit cave tiles
- fixed circular attack special - it used to deal true extra strikes instead of always missing ones when mystical attack special (or other special that sets chance to hit to predefined constant value) is also present on same attack as circular special
- "Info on Misc Rules" option in right-click menu now mentions some mainline rules that are not mentioned in BfW's built-in help and manual: compound terrains and extended castles
- added note to descriptions of "commoner" units that identifies them as "commoners" and describes their diferences from regular level 1 units
- fixed availability of fey stillflow (fey ranger was unable to advance to stillflow because of typo)
- small changes in fey race/faction:
replaced images/animations for fey wanderer and fey traveler and changed their ranged attacks to wind (impact damage), also traveler's damage was changed from 5-3 to 4-4 for melee and from 7-2 dwindling to 6-2 roundabout for ranged, wanderer's damage was changed from 3-3 to 4-2 for melee and from 4-2 dwindling to 5-2 dwindling
replaced images/animations for fey forester, renamed it to fey preserver and replaced its ranged attack with mystic flare (4-2 mystical), melee damage changed from 3-3 to 5-2
price of fey wanderer and fey preserver (formerly forester) increased from 10 to 11 and their experience changed from 20 to 25
added fey soleil as alternative advancement path for fey traveler, it uses images/animations that were formerly used for traveler
added fey enigmat as advancement option for fey conjurer, fey arcanist is turned into advancement option of fey enigmat
added blunt melee attack (bow swing) for fey sentinel
replaced hurricane attack animation for fey mystic with tornado
changed fey tender's mist attack animation to remove "levitation"
changed fey conjurer's damage to 5-3 for melee attack and 8-2 for ranged, blade resistance for fey conjurer and fey arcanist is replaced with fire resistance to match leather armor seemingly pictured on their portraits
added variations in transparency to "vision" attack animations for fey oracle and fey sybil to make looks of attack animations for different visions slightly different and distinguishable from each other
Attachments
Altered 0.4.3 (core).zip
(5.86 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.4.3 (images of all units).zip
(3.5 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.3 (portraits for darguls and fey).zip
(5.91 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.4.3 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
(7.72 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I have now updated Altered Era/ruleset [+sprites] to version 0.4.3 but since there were so many changes i might have missed something.

(also note i have not changed the archer or marksman's names merely out of laziness. ;) )

Also here is the unit database image for the Dargul factions planned images. (they have not been yet implemented but i hope to do so soon)
Spoiler:
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.4.4 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- added an option in right-click menu to show message stating how many villages were captured from current player's side since its previous turn, this option also allows to scroll to these villages one by one, this option also mentions/shows villages that are currently outside of vision range of player's units, such villages can be spotted manually by attentive player because they visually lose player's flag (even if they are outside of sight range of previous owner's units) when not owned by current player anymore, another right-click menu option enables/disables showing this same message at the beginning of player's turn (unless no villages were lost), added a chapter to "Info on Misc Rules" right-click menu option that explains how this feature works
- added "Altered Feud Random map", by default it is 50x50 hexes, for 4 players, with 15 villages per 1000 hexes, minimum distance between castles is 25
- now altered random maps do not put villages on sand hills, snowy hills and snowy mountains, to avoid having hexes with triple terrain types, also "mushroom farm" terrain embellishment is removed to avoid it being confused for "mushroom grove" (different kind of terrain) and mixed forest was replaced with other kinds of forest because it looked very patchy
- minimum distance between castles for "Altered Duel Random Map" is increased from 12 to 15
- reduced ranged damage of gnome miner from 6 to 5 to better differentiate it from (slightly) more expensive gnome crafter
- removed debug message from blocking attack special (it was left there by mistake)
- chages to Fey faction/race:
fixed typo in definition of fey soleil that mangled its advancement options (credit goes to The_Gnat for reporting this)
added Fey Nemesis unit, it is an advancement path for Fey Stillflow
menstrel's arcane bow attack is replaced with charming melody attack (mystical but nonlethal)
made modified attack icon for ranger's aimed bow attack to distinguish it from non-aimed version
Attachments
Altered 0.4.4 (core).zip
(6.02 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.4 (images of all units).zip
(3.61 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.4.4 (portraits for darguls and fey).zip
(5.91 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.4 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
(4.33 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.4.4 (portraits for valons).zip
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.4.5 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- fixed bug: fey leaders were unable to recruit in villages because of typo in WML file
- added new random trait: elusive (it has same effect as mainline "skirmisher" ability)
- renamed enduring random trait to robust
- renamed fey tender to fey grower to avoid excessive name similarity with fey fender
- renamed gnome toolwar to toolnar
Attachments
Altered 0.4.5 (core).zip
(6.03 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.5 (images of all units).zip
(3.71 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.5 (portraits for darguls and fey).zip
(5.91 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.4.5 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
Altered 0.4.5 (portraits for valons).zip
(4.73 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.4.6 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- added new random trait: daring (makes lawful and chaotic units deal their full damage at unfavorable times of day as per mainline "fearless" trait, neutral units get +25% damage during dawn and dusk)
- damage/hitpoint increase from mighty/agile/tough random traits is decreased from 20% to 15%, damage increase is still always at least 1
- fixed bug: braceable attack special now works for gnomes with swift random trait (because of typo it used to work only with units that have 4 moves)
- small changes to some gnome units:
gnome balooners and dirigibles now have 20% resistance to fire and cold damage
gnome soldier is renamed to gnome fighter (to differentiate its name from shielder) and its shield is recolored to look like it is made of metal instead of wood
gnome custodian is renamed to gnome bulwark
replaced melee attack icon of thunderer, thunderguard and thundersage with image of cleaver
slightly tweaked first frame of gnome justicar's attack animation
Attachments
Altered 0.4.6 (core).zip
(6.1 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.4.6 (images of all units).zip
(3.94 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.4.6 (portraits for darguls and fey).zip
(5.91 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.6 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
(4.33 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.6 (portraits for valons).zip
(5.94 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

As has become apparent i have unfortunately become busier recently, and working on a new update for the Reign of the Lords i have been unable to work on the Altered new sprites era for some weeks now. Sadly i don't see myself getting any less busy any time soon, but nevertheless i still enjoy playing the Altered era and hope to again have time in a few months to work on it.
lea

Post by lea »

Dargul faction will wait patiently while you are sorting out your offline life )
lea

Post by lea »

is there anybody else who enjoys playing Altered era/ruleset?

if yes then please answer following questions:

1. how do you prefer to play?
on which maps or random map generators?
what size of map do you prefer and with how many human and AI opponents?
2. what you liked most and why?
3. what confused you or seems unclear?
4. what annoyed or frustrated you?
5. what seems missing or would be nice to have?

or provide your feedback in whatever form you like ;)
The_Gnat

Re: Altered era/ruleset

Post by The_Gnat »

lea wrote:1. how do you prefer to play? on which maps or random map generators?
what size of map do you prefer and with how many human and AI opponents?
Smaller maps (i like playing the small random map generator) 1v1 or Mid sized maps 1v1v1v1.
lea wrote:2. what you liked most and why?
As i mentioned in PM my favorite features are the custom villages/hamlet rules, the no heal on advance rule, the unique one race factions that have a large amount of units.
Lea wrote:4. what annoyed or frustrated you?
I don't usually get frustrated by video games ;) and this is no exception. The only thing i personally would have preferred that the factions (dargul,fae, and gnome) had a larger variety of movement.
Lea wrote:5. what seems missing or would be nice to have?
I think that at some point a faction of orcs would be nice but i don't think it is a huge priority. :D
lea

Re: Altered era/ruleset

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:Smaller maps (i like playing the small random map generator) 1v1 or Mid sized maps 1v1v1v1.
do you play with computer-controlled opponents or with other people?
The_Gnat wrote:The only thing i personally would have preferred that the factions (dargul,fae, and gnome) had a larger variety of movement.
what about thanat faction? do you think it has enough variety of movement?
The_Gnat wrote:I think that at some point a faction of orcs would be nice but i don't think it is a huge priority. :D
yes, it is unlikely to happen anytime soon... but I want to eventually turn most (if not all) races found in default multiplayer factions into single-race factions. with "steppe orcs" faction found in "Ageless era" there are enough orcish units for orcs-only faction, so if I will manage to avoid "running out of steam" long enough then it is likely to happen eventually )
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.4.7 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- changes to "AI ancestral memory" custom rule:
amount of experience granted is reduced to 1/5 of current turn number
maximum amount of experience granted now starts from 15 and increases by number of dead leaders whenever ledaer dies (similar to "AI invasion support" custom rule)
- automatic notifications about villages lost since player's last turn are now turned on by default
- bugfix: automatic notifications about villages lost by computer players being shown to human players
- bugfix: gnome warrior was unable to advance to gnome toolnar because of typo
- bugfix: rib projectile for Thanat skeletal warriors was made invisible because of typo made during recent internal renaming
- small changes for Dargul race/faction:
dargul glider now has 'wing buffet' attack with impact damage, similar to its higher-level variations
replaced dargul myrmidon leader with dargul arbitrator leader
- small changes for Thanat race/faction:
made magic animation frames without "swish" arcs for ghoul and similar units
tweaked warp ripple attack animations for lich and theurg
made ghostly wail sounds louder
recolored cadaver and made its shirt more torn to make it look more different from shambler
Attachments
Altered 0.4.7 (core).zip
(6.16 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.7 (images of all units).zip
(4.01 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Altered 0.4.7 (portraits for darguls and fey).zip
(5.91 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.4.7 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
Altered 0.4.7 (portraits for valons).zip
(5.94 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.