The Halo Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jabim

The Halo Era

Post by Jabim »

The Halo Era is now available on the add-ons server!

Hello folks, welcome to the Halo Era! This era takes the world of the classic FPS franchise and combines it with the game play of Wesnoth. Take control of either the UNSC or the Covenant and battle with an array of unique units.

The UNSC is the fighting force of the human race. While its military backbone is in the Marines and a wide array of vehicles, the true key to humanities survival in the fight against the Covenant lies with the Spartans. The UNSC weapons deal heavy damage, but lack in diversity, employing primarily ballistic and explosive damage.

The Covenant is an alliance of races from across the galaxy, bent on eradicating the human race and following in the footsteps of the Forerunners. The Covenant has the most diverse selection of units, each highly specialized in a specific role. The combined use of diverse units and weapons makes the Covenant a near unstoppable fighting force.

This era is intended to stand alone from the core factions. This allows for some key differences in unit and faction design. Unlike normal Wesnoth, ranged attacks are predominant over melee attacks. It is important to note that the damage types, while retaining their old name (couldn’t figure out how to change them :P), are meant to be a little different:
Blade= Melee (Hand to hand combat)
Pierce= Ballistic
Impact= Explosive
Cold= Plasma
Fire= Fire
Arcane= Kinetic

As it stands the Halo Era is in alpha (version 0.1.1). Currently, there are 30 units, complete with animations and sound effects, 13 UNSC and 17 for the Covenant. In the future more units will be added to the existing factions, such as the Brute Chieftain and the Hornet. I also have plans to start work on a Flood faction in the distant future.

I have never made a mod before this one, so obviously I have a lot of room for improvement. Any feedback, especially on balancing issues, will be hugely appreciated. If you are an artist and would like to contribute either sprites or unit art please let me know. I am looking for help creating effects animations and terrain sprites (villages and castles).

Here's a teaser for a couple key unit trees:

Spartans:
SpartanTree.png
SpartanTree.png (13.12 KiB) Viewed 4039 times
Elites:
EliteTree.png
EliteTree.png (14.75 KiB) Viewed 4039 times
Disclaimer: Halo is owned by 343 Studios. The Halo Era is a non-profit fan creation and not an official 343 product.
"Wake me when you need me." -John 117
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: The Halo Era

Post by Ravana »

Damage types can be defined like https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Agele ... in.cfg#L13 https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Agele ... er.cfg#L41

However, I suspect that disclaimer does not help here.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Ravana wrote:However, I suspect that disclaimer does not help here.
good to know that i am not the only who thinks so
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

You're not allowed to base a wesnoth add-on on copyrighted material. This isn't allowed on the add-ons server.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

bumbadadabum wrote:You're not allowed to base a wesnoth add-on on copyrighted material. This isn't allowed on the add-ons server.
yep, i wanted to say that too
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Jabim

Post by Jabim »

Oh, well, that's a shame. I will remove it from the server in that case. :(
"Wake me when you need me." -John 117
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Jabim wrote:Oh, well, that's a shame. I will remove it from the server in that case. :(
well, if you want, you can make a different sci-fi era with similiar stats, but altered names/textures