The Golden Age

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Re: The Golden Age

Post by ForestDragon »

Paulomat4 wrote:Hey,
As you didn't have time to finish our Match, i replayed the entire scenario while playing both sides. I went Undead and elves. The elvish side definitely had it easier than the undead, although those weren't fairing that Bad as well. I guess that's due to the lack of healing they have. I don't know how, but maybe you could Code something to counter this advantage. Or you could place more villages. That would reduce the importance of healers AND reduce the Problem that at some point you've got too many high level units so you get negative income. In return you could reduce the starting gold a bit to Balance this out. :)
ok, i guess a bonus pair of villages (1 on each side) will do (btw, more spread villages means less crowded fighting around them :) ) btw, i fixed campfires not working for side 2
Paulomat4 wrote:The Ending was impressive! :O i've rarely Seen such Visuals in wesnoth. Definitely on the same lvl as IftU-Bossfights. Really enjoyed it!
thanks ^_^ yeah, IftU bossfights were the thing that inspired me to make this
Paulomat4 wrote:Overall I have to say that the waves were rather easy if you can avoid fallen faeries ganging up on you (by blocking the trees).
The end on the other side was really hard and although I had two really good factions i was reduced to only my leader on one side.
So i'd suggest to make the normal Wave a tad harder and the bossfights a bit easier :)
ok, will work on it

EDIT:btw, i fixed the units not becoming ghosts on death, now this balances Sylvan/Undead out a more, since now the Undead have a large advantage of being immune to this
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I want to write a longer comment at some point, but don't have time right now. So I'll restrict to something important I noticed now: Having a Will-o-wisp will corrupt any further save files, making you unable to load them. I found this old topic about the cause: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37162
Also, I really like this era!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xargon wrote:I want to write a longer comment at some point, but don't have time right now. So I'll restrict to something important I noticed now: Having a Will-o-wisp will corrupt any further save files, making you unable to load them. I found this old topic about the cause: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37162
Also, I really like this era!
aha! now i get it why i couldn't reload on my Sylvan/Undead match, i'll change the ID to Will_o_Wisp istead of Will-o-Wisp, thanks for feedback :) any further feedback is welcome too. i am currently making a big update (somewhat done, but can't have enough :) ) and i'll include this bugfix
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I will write multiple (semi)short comments, related to stuff I tried out right now, else I will forget about it or postpone it forever ;-)
Hm... after doing some testing, I am not sure anymore which of the following issues are caused by Wesnoth displaying the wrong unit information (when there is more than one unit with the same name in the database). For example, for the Orcish leader, it shows me the wrong unit information panel, with no advancement option - but it can advance ingame. Do you know a way to avoid this, except having no other era installed (I am not even sure if this would solve the problem completely)? Some of the following issues are according to the unit information panels of the recruitment options, so they might be wrong as well - though I tried to check most of them ingame. I will hold off compiling a more complete list until I know how to make sure the information is actually correct...

- There are also some units without lower level units advancing to them
- Red Mage can only advance to Silver Mage, not Arch Mage. Is this intended?
- Elvish Shielder / Line Holder has 85% physical resistance, which is probably not intended. If it is, it's way too much...
- Black Knight and Bone Captain have double terror
- Outlaws seem to have no higher level (4+) units, which is a bit sad when comparing with other factions. Lack of sprites again? The same seems to be true to some degree for orcs and drakes.
- Deathblade as leader cannot advance
- When recruiting a Ghost, it seems to give a different version (the standard one?) than recruiting a spook and leveling it up
- Faceless Knight has strength of darkness written three times (once as ability, twice as ability upgrade)
- Skeleton Recruit -> Skeleton seems to give a different skeleton version (the standard one?)
- Thundergobo/Vundergobo have no sprites?

After realizing that there are some problems with the unit information, I noticed strange behavior there: For some units, neither of the versions it displays matches the ingame unit. For example, I see two Ghost versions, one of which can advance only to Wraith, the other can advance to Wraith, Shadow, Faceless Knight (probably the intended version in TGA). But when recruiting a ghost ingame and leveling it up, it can advance to Wraith and Shadow. Not sure what went wrong there...
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xargon wrote:
After realizing that there are some problems with the unit information, I noticed strange behavior there: For some units, neither of the versions it displays matches the ingame unit. For example, I see two Ghost versions, one of which can advance only to Wraith, the other can advance to Wraith, Shadow, Faceless Knight (probably the intended version in TGA). But when recruiting a ghost ingame and leveling it up, it can advance to Wraith and Shadow. Not sure what went wrong there...
Xargon wrote:- There are also some units without lower level units advancing to them
well, i put a variety of units in my era, and sometimes there isn't a lower level for them in the first place (most relevant to monsters, but it can also be the case for other races too)
Xargon wrote:- Red Mage can only advance to Silver Mage, not Arch Mage. Is this intended?
- Elvish Shielder / Line Holder has 85% physical resistance, which is probably not intended. If it is, it's way too much...
i already fixed these bugs, but didn't yet release the version with them, btw, elvish shielder/line holder is supposed to have 15% resistance (which he now does in the unreleased version)
Xargon wrote: - Black Knight and Bone Captain have double terror
- Faceless Knight has strength of darkness written three times (once as ability, twice as ability upgrade)
these abilities are actually the AMLA ones (they upgrade their abilities by AMLA)
Xargon wrote: - Deathblade as leader cannot advance
- When recruiting a Ghost, it seems to give a different version (the standard one?) than recruiting a spook and leveling it up
- Skeleton Recruit -> Skeleton seems to give a different skeleton version (the standard one?)
i think i fixed these bugs in the unreleased version, but i guess i could take another look
Xargon wrote:- Outlaws seem to have no higher level (4+) units, which is a bit sad when comparing with other factions. Lack of sprites again? The same seems to be true to some degree for orcs and drakes.
i'll dig into LotI(Legend of the Invincibles)'s files again, there are plenty lvl4s, i just didn't have time to copy them
Xargon wrote:- Thundergobo/Vundergobo have no sprites?
well, they just use a goblin spearman+thunderstick franken sprite from Swamplings
Xargon wrote:After realizing that there are some problems with the unit information, I noticed strange behavior there: For some units, neither of the versions it displays matches the ingame unit. For example, I see two Ghost versions, one of which can advance only to Wraith, the other can advance to Wraith, Shadow, Faceless Knight (probably the intended version in TGA). But when recruiting a ghost ingame and leveling it up, it can advance to Wraith and Shadow. Not sure what went wrong there...
i think it was caused by the fact that i forgot to add the 'correct' version to the TGA recruit list, i think i already fixed it in the unreleased version

thanks for your feedback, if you encounter any more issues, don't forget to report them to me :)
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Haha, I see you already fixed most of the issues in the unreleased version. Maybe I will wait for that version before trying to find more small things. Did you check for the same things in the Heroes/Legend version? I tried out the Legend version at some point to see if there are more units with no way to advance to, and saw many more examples of recruitable units where the unit description showed something strange (no way to advance to or from the unit in several cases). I didn't check these things ingame, though.

One other things I wanted to comment on is the balance between the Elvish Ascetic/Mystic line versus the Sorceress line. The former seems to be better in almost all regards from lvl2 onwards (lvl2 might still be somewhat debatable, but the difference becomes bigger at lvl3 and I believe lvl4 is just better in all regards). There is also the cross-advancement from Sylph (lvl4) to Avatar (also lvl4). I would probably suggest to weaken the Ascetic line's attacks somewhat to distinguish the unit line from the Sorceress line (it has healing capabilities, after all!), and possibly remove the Sylph-Avatar advancement. Alternatively, one could remove the Ascetic line's slow attacks.

edit: The Thundergobo/Vundergobo sprites are not displayed at all in the unit information, that's why I asked.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xargon wrote:Haha, I see you already fixed most of the issues in the unreleased version. Maybe I will wait for that version before trying to find more small things. Did you check for the same things in the Heroes/Legend version? I tried out the Legend version at some point to see if there are more units with no way to advance to, and saw many more examples of recruitable units where the unit description showed something strange (no way to advance to or from the unit in several cases). I didn't check these things ingame, though.
i think it's caused by the fact that i mostly update the default TGA, and forget to do the same for the Hero/Legend versions, i think i might need to update then at some point
Xargon wrote:One other things I wanted to comment on is the balance between the Elvish Ascetic/Mystic line versus the Sorceress line. The former seems to be better in almost all regards from lvl2 onwards (lvl2 might still be somewhat debatable, but the difference becomes bigger at lvl3 and I believe lvl4 is just better in all regards). There is also the cross-advancement from Sylph (lvl4) to Avatar (also lvl4). I would probably suggest to weaken the Ascetic line's attacks somewhat to distinguish the unit line from the Sorceress line (it has healing capabilities, after all!), and possibly remove the Sylph-Avatar advancement. Alternatively, one could remove the Ascetic line's slow attacks.
about the healer line: i don't really find them TOO unbalanced (since this line only has lvl2 and lvl3, while the classic sorceress line now stretches all the way to lvl5, making a difference in the long term), but i did some nerfs, first one (not sure if it's in the released, or unreleased version) is the fact that i nerfed her arcane resistance (lvl2: 40% >10%, lvl3: 60% > 20%) and in the unreleased version, while looking in the line's code after your comment, i nerfed the lvl3's staff damage from 10-2 to 6-2 (lvl3 enchantress has 6-2 melee too), btw, Elvish Avatar's level in the unreleased version is now 5, and no, i won't remove her.
Xargon wrote:edit: The Thundergobo/Vundergobo sprites are not displayed at all in the unit information, that's why I asked.
well, in the unreleased version everything seems to be working, so i can't be too sure.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

ForestDragon wrote:about the healer line: i don't really find them TOO unbalanced (since this line only has lvl2 and lvl3, while the classic sorceress line now stretches all the way to lvl5, making a difference in the long term), but i did some nerfs, first one (not sure if it's in the released, or unreleased version) is the fact that i nerfed her arcane resistance (lvl2: 40% >10%, lvl3: 60% > 20%) and in the unreleased version, while looking in the line's code after your comment, i nerfed the lvl3's staff damage from 10-2 to 6-2 (lvl3 enchantress has 6-2 melee too), btw, Elvish Avatar's level in the unreleased version is now 5, and no, i won't remove her.
I believe you misunderstood some things I wanted to say. First of all: the Ascetic/Mystic always continued to lvl4, the Elvish Avatar, right? Did you remove that at some point, or why do you say that it has only lvl2 and lvl3? It's true that the Sorceress has a lvl5 unit, but I would not count that as a huge advantage when considering balancing, since it will hardly ever matter in a normal game. I did not want to suggest removing the unit, just possibly the advancement option Sylph-Avatar, since I found it weird to stay on lvl4. But if the Avatar is lvl5 now, that is already taken care of... I mainly found it strange that there were different units of the same level where one is simply a stronger version of the other (Sylph<Avatar, Enchantress<Mystic), and thought one could give them some different characteristics.[/quote]
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xargon wrote:I believe you misunderstood some things I wanted to say. First of all: the Ascetic/Mystic always continued to lvl4, the Elvish Avatar, right? Did you remove that at some point, or why do you say that it has only lvl2 and lvl3? It's true that the Sorceress has a lvl5 unit, but I would not count that as a huge advantage when considering balancing, since it will hardly ever matter in a normal game. I did not want to suggest removing the unit, just possibly the advancement option Sylph-Avatar, since I found it weird to stay on lvl4. But if the Avatar is lvl5 now, that is already taken care of... I mainly found it strange that there were different units of the same level where one is simply a stronger version of the other (Sylph<Avatar, Enchantress<Mystic), and thought one could give them some different characteristics.
[/quote]
i think i might need to change the TGA version of Ascentic/Mystic's sprites to make sure that they are actually a different unit branch, and not just Ascetic/Mystic, but with different stats, btw, here are new images (i added a hood to give them a more priest-ish look):
zealot.png
zealot.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
high-priest.png
high-priest.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
EDIT: tweaked lvl3's hood's color a bit:
high-priest.png
high-priest.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

the hoods actually look quite good! nice work :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Paulomat4 wrote:the hoods actually look quite good! nice work :)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Well, many of you have been waiting for it, for somewhere around a month (or even more. I didn't really keep track of the time that passed since then.) well, here is a looooooooong changelog of the 1.4.0 version (i updated my version system) which i decided to put in spoiler just to save some space on the screen:
No big spoilers here:
also, i decided to put the corrupted forest map changes separately:
feel free to look at it, but i warn you, it will ruin most of the surprise:
also, here are the screenshots featuring new units:
once again, just to shorten the screen size:
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

Hey

As always, about the dwarves. Nice to see improvements, such as many updated animations and stuff. Won't go about balancing, I don't have much qualification in there. A few questions:
Is lv2 gryphon master supposed to have an advancement option to lv2 gryphon knight?
Where is the arcanister gone?
Will you try to fix the unwesnothian style of dwarvish monarch?
Is loremaster and all his line supposed to have magical melee?

So much for now.

Yours

Durin
Angelonius

Post by Angelonius »

You removed Flailbearer-chan?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Durin_the_great wrote: Is lv2 gryphon master supposed to have an advancement option to lv2 gryphon knight?
whoops, i think it was caused by the fact hat the knight used to be lvl3, and i changed him to lvl2
Durin_the_great wrote:Where is the arcanister gone?
i don't know, might take a look at that
Durin_the_great wrote:Will you try to fix the unwesnothian style of dwarvish monarch?
Is loremaster and all his line supposed to have magical melee?
first question:no, i am not that good at pixel-art
second question:yes