The Golden Age

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Durin_the_great

Re: The Golden Age

Post by Durin_the_great »

The problem is that the identity of the names might be the reason of the goblin number bug.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Durin_the_great wrote:The problem is that the identity of the names might be the reason of the goblin number bug.
well, i had different IDs for them, so the displayed name doesn't matter
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Now that I actually played a game without other eras conflicting, I am enjoying it even more :D

One thing I noticed: Something about the Windwaker's whirlwind attack is weird. I tried it with 2 and 3 adjacent enemies, and as soon as the first attack hits, the non-main targets are dealt damage quite a few times and die instantly. For example, a 49hp troll died on the first hit of a 22-2 attack. Not quite sure what's going on there...
Also, the windwaker's image in the panel on the right is a bit blurry.

Sylvans have so many cool units! I need to convince myself to finally try out another faction.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xargon wrote:One thing I noticed: Something about the Windwaker's whirlwind attack is weird. I tried it with 2 and 3 adjacent enemies, and as soon as the first attack hits, the non-main targets are dealt damage quite a few times and die instantly. For example, a 49hp troll died on the first hit of a 22-2 attack. Not quite sure what's going on there...
Also, the windwaker's image in the panel on the right is a bit blurry.
yeah, it noticed that sometimes, maybe i should give each unit a different whirlwind ID maybe?
Xargon wrote:
:D not going to deny that
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I finally managed to play a game with the undead. In general, I had a lot more trouble than with Sylvans. This is not necessarily a balance issue with TGA, since I think it is true for me in general - because of their more extreme strengths and weaknesses, I have a harder time keeping units safe. It didn't help that my main opponent was dwarvish and recruited lots of gyrocopters and eagles, both very quick units. But I definitely think that Sylvans have quite a bit more variety in their unit roster, which makes it easier to have the right unit for any situation.

Apart from that, some small things I noticed:
- Recruiting a ghost seems to give the vanilla version (no faceless knight, ghost line continues only until spectre)
- some unit descriptions don't show the correct information, in particular they don't show any or not the right advancement option (bat, ghost, initiate lich)
- the change in power between a sphere horror and a living nightmare seems very small to me, especially when compared to some other lvl5 units. It seems not really worth it to go through the effort of leveling them up until lvl5.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xargon wrote:I finally managed to play a game with the undead. In general, I had a lot more trouble than with Sylvans. This is not necessarily a balance issue with TGA, since I think it is true for me in general - because of their more extreme strengths and weaknesses, I have a harder time keeping units safe. It didn't help that my main opponent was dwarvish and recruited lots of gyrocopters and eagles, both very quick units. But I definitely think that Sylvans have quite a bit more variety in their unit roster, which makes it easier to have the right unit for any situation.

Apart from that, some small things I noticed:
- Recruiting a ghost seems to give the vanilla version (no faceless knight, ghost line continues only until spectre)
- some unit descriptions don't show the correct information, in particular they don't show any or not the right advancement option (bat, ghost, initiate lich)
- the change in power between a sphere horror and a living nightmare seems very small to me, especially when compared to some other lvl5 units. It seems not really worth it to go through the effort of leveling them up until lvl5.
i will take a look at some of your comments
GoblinCorpse

Post by GoblinCorpse »

The ghost you can recruit directly lacks the advancement potential the ghost that advances from the spook does. is this intentional?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

GoblinCorpse wrote:The ghost you can recruit directly lacks the advancement potential the ghost that advances from the spook does. is this intentional?
no, that's clearly a bug
skelegonsans

Post by skelegonsans »

I really liked TGA! Almost everytime i go to play multiplayer i use it! :)
I will leave some feedback here:

1- I noticed that many of your units don't have a description, that's not of any primal importance of course, but the description for an unit makes it a bit cooler, and might let its abilities/strenghts clear to someone who uses it the first time and can't tell just by looking at stats/abilities. I can even help u with that if u want. :)
2- I think monsters faction don't have enough units. When i was first going to use them i was really anxious, i thought it was gonna be great; but their great lack of variety disappointed me somewhat. Also, you should easily be able to make AoH and AoL version of Extended TGA, right? Making monsters and the other extended factions have lv 2-3 for recruit will be more interesting. (I would love to throw cockatrices at the enemy when using monsters xD)

Again, your era is great! Nice job!

(Btw: thanks for letting me use the great sprites from your era on my addon! It helped a lot! :) )
Papyrus: "SO, SANS, WHEN IS THE HUMAN COMING?? I WANNA LOOK MY SUNDAY BEST... OR AT LEAST MY TUESDAY PRETTY-GOOD."
Sans: "don't you only have one outfit?"
Papyrus: "YEAH, BUT I COULD STYLE MY HAIR!"
Big Undertale/FNaF fan, creator/mantainer of More Units addon.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi everyone! so, i decided to return to TGA on this weekend, and here is the update i made (the version is 1.4.2) and here is the changelog:

Heavy Infantryman copy now costs 18 gold, and Ghost copy 19 gold, buffed Alguasir/Altawir line, removed 'camouflage' ability from Altawir, added Altangshe (lvl3 Altawir), added Battle King (lvl4 unit with 20% resistance to all weapon types) added Chariot line to Loyalists, buffed Ealim, nerfed Masun branch a bit, slightly buffed Eskiya, buffed Living Nightmare. added Void Mage (lvl4 human mage, kind of a darker version of Archmage. is very good at staying alive, but has a huge arcane weakness as a cost), added Dwarvish Bear Lancer (opt. lvl2 from Bear Rider). when units with the 'immortal' ability are reborn, their killer won't get exp (this was done to prevent immortal units easily becoming exp farms), added Eternal Lich (lvl5 version of Ghost Lich, which has the 'immortal' ability), added Elvish Gryphon Lancer (so far can only be gotten with debug), fixed Thundergobo's and Vundergobo's sprite not displaying and gave Vundergobo a new sprite (edit of the impaler), increased the health of Goblin Spearmaster by 5, added Hellstorm Rider (lvl4 Barrow Wight), added idle animations for the Dusk Faerie line, Elvish Shyde's levelups and pixies .added a new ranged attack animations for pixies, fixed recruited ghosts being unable to get TGA levelups. expanded the monster faction (maybe a bit too much :) ), added AoH Extended (including Monsters and Northerners)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Glad to see your working on this again!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

since i had a heckload of spare time this week, i made another TGA update! (version 1.4.3) and here is the changelog as usual:

change Banana Warrior's stats, added Banana unit. gave fire faeries, their fallen counterparts, and the domain guards idle animations. gave pixies a death animation. gave fallen sprite and fallen faerie new images, gave a new image to Autumn Faerie. fire faeries now have an orange-tinted halo when using their ranged attack. gave Domain Protector a new sprite, added Magical Book (a floating book which can cast spells, and have an AMLA), added a 'Magical' faction to 'TGA Extended', added Apparition (opt. lvl4 from Spectre, which can teleport), replaced Domain Guard's noctum attack with ethereal storm to make him feel less like a male dusk faerie copy with a spear, added Thrall line (zombies with maces. can be advanced to by walking corpses), changed the sprite of Dwarvish Woodcutter, added Naga Assassin (lvl3 Naga Hunter), renamed Naga Ninja's 'steal' ability to 'stealth', to make it more accurate, and gave him a 19-2 sword to make him more versatile (different damage distribution), added Floating Eye line (for the Monsters faction), made the TGA versions of bats cost less, remade Rabbit's stats to make him more interesting, and made it, so that when you recruit a rabbit, it might randomly get one of four preset fur colors (and some secret variants too, but i'll leave finding them to yourself ;) )
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I played a game with the newest update, with undead. This time I had no trouble at all... I also got only few lvl4 units and no higher ones. Looks like more races are getting fleshed out with new units, which is great!

I ran into one bug: the game crashed with some message "could not find TGA_Cavalier". There seems to be some problem with the advancement from Dragoon to Cavalier.

Some thoughts on the new (and some old) units from looking at their descriptions:
- Eternal lich is really cool, I like the "immortal" ability
- I think giving hellstorm rider a 7-6 magical ranged attack is too big of a buff comparing with the lvl3 version (only 9-2 ranged, nonmagical). I'd say at most 7-3 or 7-4 would be enough.
- Healer mage seems to be missing the TGA advancement options (Celestial mage, Lightbringer)
- the description of vampire bats shows no advancement option, didn't try them though
- Death Marshal has weaker resistances than Death Knight, is that intended?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xargon wrote:I played a game with the newest update, with undead. This time I had no trouble at all... I also got only few lvl4 units and no higher ones. Looks like more races are getting fleshed out with new units, which is great!

I ran into one bug: the game crashed with some message "could not find TGA_Cavalier". There seems to be some problem with the advancement from Dragoon to Cavalier.

Some thoughts on the new (and some old) units from looking at their descriptions:
- Eternal lich is really cool, I like the "immortal" ability
- I think giving hellstorm rider a 7-6 magical ranged attack is too big of a buff comparing with the lvl3 version (only 9-2 ranged, nonmagical). I'd say at most 7-3 or 7-4 would be enough.
- Healer mage seems to be missing the TGA advancement options (Celestial mage, Lightbringer)
- the description of vampire bats shows no advancement option, didn't try them though
- Death Marshal has weaker resistances than Death Knight, is that intended?
thanks for the bug reports!
death marshal having weaker resistances is not intentional, i'll fix that.
skelegonsans

Post by skelegonsans »

Heya, just tried new updates, looking really good!

However i find small bugs:
1- On Monsters faction, Young Dune Worm (And Dune Worm on Aoh Monster faction too) cant recruit. Also, i tried moving it and after i wanted to go back to the keep, i noticed it cant move to keeps. (Making dune worm move on keeps & castles should fix it?)
2- Sometimes a message pops up: "error: unit "Merman Stormcaller" does not exist.". Maybe the id is wrong.

And if possible, make a lv1 version of the basilisk for the normal Monsters faction. (Imo, petrifying gaze should be 2-1, as more than 1 gaze would be op for level 1.) I just love that basilisk, petrifying whole armies (even if just for a couple turns xD) RULEZ!!! xD
Papyrus: "SO, SANS, WHEN IS THE HUMAN COMING?? I WANNA LOOK MY SUNDAY BEST... OR AT LEAST MY TUESDAY PRETTY-GOOD."
Sans: "don't you only have one outfit?"
Papyrus: "YEAH, BUT I COULD STYLE MY HAIR!"
Big Undertale/FNaF fan, creator/mantainer of More Units addon.