The Golden Age

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: The Golden Age

Post by IPS »

Let's say for tommorrow, also I will have a previous look at dwarves so I will see only where I have to revise instead of the whole faction. I have other things to do too.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
IPS

Post by IPS »

Dwarves
Dwarvish Warden: Would sugest to unyielding ability cap at 60% resistance because 70% resistance is almost 1/4 of total damage (imagine a pikeman doing 3-3 to this unit, isn't that crazy?)
Dwarvish Witness: Lv2 leadership on lv1 unit? WHAT... more than repricing, this aura needs a little rework that could work the following way in order to be diferenciated from leadership:
Inspire: Nearby units of superior level +5% damage; same level +10% damage, units of inferior level (10 + (10X))% bonus damage in which X is the diference of the unit with inspire and the unit being inspired (for example, lv2 unit with inspire would make a lv1 unit fight 20% more eficent and lv0 30% more eficent).
With this change, this aura would be much more balanced in the way at not being overpowered in early game but more helpful in survival maps.
Dwarvish Woodcutter: considering it can level up to ulfseker and guardsman as well, would sugest to change his xp to 28 xp (19.6 xp at 70% xp modifier) because those 2 upgarades are more expensive; apart with this xp value would fit better its 8g cost.
Gryphon Lord: Needs some changes, ranged atack being too good, would sugest a ranged damage to 15-1, it has magical and it's just a bonus.

Drakes
Carapacian Forager: Curious unit, but probably overperforming for its costs, let's do some changse:
a) Decrease blade/impact resistance to 20%, so they would be 40% with steadfast.
b) Ranged damage from 6-1 to 3-1, it's a nice defensive weapon.
Carapacian Infiltrator: Ranged damage from 6-2 to 4-2
Monstrous Carapace: Ranged damage from 7-3 to 5-3
Carapacian Hunter: Looks really solid for its costs, let's nerf this one in the terrain defense/movement parts and the same for his level ups.
a) decrease defense at water tiles by 10%
b) Hills movement costs to 3; will make the player to think about if considering them rought terrains maps (Carapaces are heavy)
c) Mountain defense to 40% because of being discomfort at this terrain.
Because Carapacian Infiltrator aren't two foots, they can have better movement costs over rough terrains.
Carapacian Protector: The same terrain nerfs than on Hunter line, ranged damage from 7-2 to 5-2.
Carapacian Guard: Ranged damage to 7-2.
Carapacian Smasher: Ranged damage 11-2
Considering it's a steadfast unit with no defenses penalty, considered to take a severe nerf at ranged
Chamaleon: Health from 30 to 28; being capable to ambush from any terrain is really cool.
Drake Adventurer: he's overperforming by a lot the other Sky Drakes, let's nerf; mele to 6-3 and ranged to 5-3.
Drake Ranger: ranged damage to 5-4.
Green Salamander / Forest Salamander: 60% forest/swamp defense considering no weaknesses in resistances.
Black Salamander / Shadow Salamander: 50% flat defense fungus, 55% hill/forest/castle defense.
Blue Salamander / Sea Salamander: 60% def on swallow water/ swamp tiles.
Saurian devote: XP to 28 (19.6 xp value at 70% modifier) and price to 9g.
Saurian Guard: reworking ranged to 6-2 instead of 5-3 considering poison.
Saurian Champion: reworking ranged to 7-3 instead of 6-4.
Auguric Toad: Regen +8 (considering it heals alied) and 6-4 magical; resistance improvement to 10% vs impact & blade, 20% vs cold and 0% againist fire.
Oracle Toad: Regen +8 and 8-4 magical; magic resist improvement to 10% vs impact & blade, 30% vs cold, 15% againist fire and 10% vs arcane. Sugestion for bonus fireballs atack to deal 13-2 magical as bonus.
Battle Toad: Some changes; considering it's dealing too much damage, let's focus it as tank
a) resistance to blade/pierce/impact to +10%
b) Paw damage to 7-3, tongue damage 10-1
c) Charge damage to 18-1, Spear to 8-3.
Dreanought Toad: Some changes at here:
a) resistance to blade/pierce to 10% and impact to 20%
b) Paw damage to 9-3, Tongue damage to 11-1
c) Charge damage to 17-2, spear damage to 10-3
d) regen to just +10
Ranged Toad: Some changes on this toad, actually weakest of lv2 toads. Tongue in mele one can be used to slow enemies whenever it's being atacked by ranged, a problem of balance since ever in that other unit line, to make Ranged Toad capable to compete againist Mele toads and Mage toad let's give it some extra love.
a) Impact/blade resistance to 10%.
b) Paw damage to 6-3, Tongue damage to 8-2, yes more chances of slowing!
c) Lesser Marskman on Crossbow
d) 5-5 bonus crossbow atack with Lesser marksman as well
Double Ranged Toad: Some lesser modifications to this unit as well.
a) health to 85 hp instead of 70, but regen +10 only.
b)impact/blade resistance to 10%, pierce resistance to 20%
c) Tongue damage to 10-2 first strike, yes, now can slow if the enemy before being hit if toad is screewed; at the cost of a lot of damage in retaliation.
d) Aimed shot reworked to 13-3 lesser marskman.
e) Crossbow x2: Damage adjusted to 11-2 (no lesser marskman)
f) Concentrated fire reworked to 6-6 marskman (to last hit better ;))
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IPS wrote:Dwarvish Warden: Would sugest to unyielding ability cap at 60% resistance because 70% resistance is almost 1/4 of total damage (imagine a pikeman doing 3-3 to this unit, isn't that crazy?)
ok, will nerf that
IPS wrote:Dwarvish Witness: Lv2 leadership on lv1 unit? WHAT... more than repricing, this aura needs a little rework that could work the following way in order to be diferenciated from leadership:
Inspire: Nearby units of superior level +5% damage; same level +10% damage, units of inferior level (10 + (10X))% bonus damage in which X is the diference of the unit with inspire and the unit being inspired (for example, lv2 unit with inspire would make a lv1 unit fight 20% more eficent and lv0 30% more eficent).
the idea with inspire ability sounds great, since the old 'leadership or <unit level>+1' yours looks much better
IPS wrote:Dwarvish Woodcutter: considering it can level up to ulfseker and guardsman as well, would sugest to change his xp to 28 xp (19.6 xp at 70% xp modifier) because those 2 upgarades are more expensive; apart with this xp value would fit better its 8g cost.
sure
IPS wrote:Gryphon Lord: Needs some changes, ranged atack being too good, would sugest a ranged damage to 15-1, it has magical and it's just a bonus.
alright.
IPS wrote:Carapacian Forager: Curious unit, but probably overperforming for its costs, let's do some changse:
a) Decrease blade/impact resistance to 20%, so they would be 40% with steadfast.
b) Ranged damage from 6-1 to 3-1, it's a nice defensive weapon.
Carapacian Infiltrator: Ranged damage from 6-2 to 4-2
Monstrous Carapace: Ranged damage from 7-3 to 5-3
Carapacian Hunter: Looks really solid for its costs, let's nerf this one in the terrain defense/movement parts and the same for his level ups.
a) decrease defense at water tiles by 10%
b) Hills movement costs to 3; will make the player to think about if considering them rought terrains maps (Carapaces are heavy)
c) Mountain defense to 40% because of being discomfort at this terrain.
Because Carapacian Infiltrator aren't two foots, they can have better movement costs over rough terrains.
Carapacian Protector: The same terrain nerfs than on Hunter line, ranged damage from 7-2 to 5-2.
Carapacian Guard: Ranged damage to 7-2.
Carapacian Smasher: Ranged damage 11-2
Considering it's a steadfast unit with no defenses penalty, considered to take a severe nerf at ranged
Chamaleon: Health from 30 to 28; being capable to ambush from any terrain is really cool.
Drake Adventurer: he's overperforming by a lot the other Sky Drakes, let's nerf; mele to 6-3 and ranged to 5-3.
Drake Ranger: ranged damage to 5-4.
Green Salamander / Forest Salamander: 60% forest/swamp defense considering no weaknesses in resistances.
Black Salamander / Shadow Salamander: 50% flat defense fungus, 55% hill/forest/castle defense.
Blue Salamander / Sea Salamander: 60% def on swallow water/ swamp tiles.
Saurian devote: XP to 28 (19.6 xp value at 70% modifier) and price to 9g.
Saurian Guard: reworking ranged to 6-2 instead of 5-3 considering poison.
Saurian Champion: reworking ranged to 7-3 instead of 6-4.
Auguric Toad: Regen +8 (considering it heals alied) and 6-4 magical; resistance improvement to 10% vs impact & blade, 20% vs cold and 0% againist fire.
Oracle Toad: Regen +8 and 8-4 magical; magic resist improvement to 10% vs impact & blade, 30% vs cold, 15% againist fire and 10% vs arcane. Sugestion for bonus fireballs atack to deal 13-2 magical as bonus.
Battle Toad: Some changes; considering it's dealing too much damage, let's focus it as tank
a) resistance to blade/pierce/impact to +10%
b) Paw damage to 7-3, tongue damage 10-1
c) Charge damage to 18-1, Spear to 8-3.
Dreanought Toad: Some changes at here:
a) resistance to blade/pierce to 10% and impact to 20%
b) Paw damage to 9-3, Tongue damage to 11-1
c) Charge damage to 17-2, spear damage to 10-3
d) regen to just +10
i don't have much to argue about, looks good, thanks for these ideas
IPS wrote:Ranged Toad: Some changes on this toad, actually weakest of lv2 toads. Tongue in mele one can be used to slow enemies whenever it's being atacked by ranged, a problem of balance since ever in that other unit line, to make Ranged Toad capable to compete againist Mele toads and Mage toad let's give it some extra love.
a) Impact/blade resistance to 10%.
b) Paw damage to 6-3, Tongue damage to 8-2, yes more chances of slowing!
c) Lesser Marskman on Crossbow
d) 5-5 bonus crossbow atack with Lesser marksman as well
Double Ranged Toad: Some lesser modifications to this unit as well.
a) health to 85 hp instead of 70, but regen +10 only.
b)impact/blade resistance to 10%, pierce resistance to 20%
c) Tongue damage to 10-2 first strike, yes, now can slow if the enemy before being hit if toad is screewed; at the cost of a lot of damage in retaliation.
d) Aimed shot reworked to 13-3 lesser marskman.
e) Crossbow x2: Damage adjusted to 11-2 (no lesser marskman)
f) Concentrated fire reworked to 6-6 marskman (to last hit better ;))
i agree, those guys deserve some bonus love, thanks for the ideas ^_^

so, if i am not mistaken, the last main faction in TGA left that you didn't cover much about is Orcs, you could do a review for those, of something
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

just another heads-up that the Nightshade faerie has graphics in place but no .cfg, same applies for the lunatic-knight.png which have assumed to be heavy lancer advancement for lancer ?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Eagle_11 wrote:just another heads-up that the Nightshade faerie has graphics in place but no .cfg, same applies for the lunatic-knight.png which have assumed to be heavy lancer advancement for lancer ?
about nightshade fire:it used to be planned to be used as the lvl3 for dusk faerie line, but scrapped it when i found the new sprites

about lunatic knight:well, it's one of the sprites i put in the images folder, but forgot to implement, i already made the .cfg file in the unreleased version, and yes, it's supposed to be a lvl3 lancer indeed
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
IPS

Post by IPS »

Well, because of unwanted issues I'm posting here somehow later than I did even want to :(

Gobling transport: this is extremely difficult to balance. Depends too much in the circunstances in which this unit dies. For example, in some cases, the death of this unit can mean some free xp to your enemies, while in other cases they can do a lot of troubles to your enemy. This need severe revision and probably discusion because 6 is a large number apart that globing spearmen are 6-3 lv0s which could deal an huge damage (being so far the most cost efficent lv0)
Orcish Shaman: Well, orcs doesn't need at all a strong cold/arcane atackers to counter undeads with fire or to pierce the brave drakes. So by this criteria I would sugest some changes on this line:
a) Curse/Shadow wave damage to 7-2, at night it's 13.1 damage per strike to drakes/skeletons with each atack.
b) staff damage from 6-1 to 3-1, he has already more health than any lv1 mage.
With this, it now has stats fo 18g cost.
Orcish Witchdoctor: staff to 5-2, shadow wave to 10-2, health to 38, he has 6 movement and healers tend to have lower health than most units (white mages are just 35 hp & only 5 movement, but brutal 9-3 magical arcane ranged)
Orcish Elder Witchdoctor: Staff to 5-3; Shadow wave to 13-2 (orcs aren't famous of doing nice exorcisms)
Orcishr Warlock:
a) curse/shadow wave damage to 12-2 both (Dark Sorcerers are 13-2 cold)
b) health from 48 to 42
c) staff from 7-2 to 6-2
Orcish Sorcerer: staff to 7-2, Curse 12-3 and Shadow wave 16-2, health to 52 considering he has regenerates.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, here are my responces to your non-full review:
IPS wrote:Orcish Shaman: Well, orcs doesn't need at all a strong cold/arcane atackers to counter undeads with fire or to pierce the brave drakes. So by this criteria I would sugest some changes on this line:
a) Curse/Shadow wave damage to 7-2, at night it's 13.1 damage per strike to drakes/skeletons with each atack.
b) staff damage from 6-1 to 3-1, he has already more health than any lv1 mage.
With this, it now has stats fo 18g cost.
hmmm... i think, since the orcish shaman are supposed to be rare lore-wise, i guess we can just make him cost 21g or 22g, it would have him remain strong, but the cost will make you think twice between using the shaman, or just buying a much cheaper archer, i would leave the staff intact, since i wanted the unit to be less efficient at spellcasting than human mages, but physically stronger
IPS wrote:Orcish Witchdoctor: staff to 5-2, shadow wave to 10-2, health to 38, he has 6 movement and healers tend to have lower health than most units (white mages are just 35 hp & only 5 movement, but brutal 9-3 magical arcane ranged)
well, i guess giving him 42 hp will do, since the lvl1 is now a lot more expensive, also, how about shadow wave being 11-2/staff being intact for the exact same reasons. i also plan giving him a new description
IPS wrote:Orcishr Warlock:
a) curse/shadow wave damage to 12-2 both (Dark Sorcerers are 13-2 cold)
b) health from 48 to 42
c) staff from 7-2 to 6-2
Orcish Sorcerer: staff to 7-2, Curse 12-3 and Shadow wave 16-2, health to 48 considering he has regenerates.
hmmm, how about this (i desinged the stats according to the lvl1 cost increase)
lvl:2 hp 45, staff same, curse 14-2, shadow wave 13-2
lvl3:hp 52 curse 13-3, shadow wave 17-2

basically, you decided to shape the shaman line as cheap, but weak caster, i decided to go for more like strong-but-not-too-cost-efficient sort
EDIT:
IPS wrote:Orcish Elder Witchdoctor: Staff to 5-3; Shadow wave to 13-2 (orcs aren't famous of doing nice exorcisms)
i guess 15-2 will do
EDIT2:orcish witchdoctor's description:
Spoiler:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

0.3.1 is out! man, my updates just keep getting bigger :D , anyways, here is the full changelog:

fixed Elder Athvari not advancing into the new Athvari Wanderer, added Dwarvish Bear Hammerdin line, added Skeletal Rouser (increases damage/resistances of adjacent units by 10%), added Orcish Overlord (lvl4 orcish warlord with 14-4 melee and poison bow. not sure why i forgot to add him before in the first place),nerfed Sentry and Chevalier lines' damages,made signalman and fisherman more expensive, decreased the exp cost for Titanium Decimator and Supreme Commander, buffed Supreme Commander, Ogre line now has 10% cold res. and killhunger ability, fixed whirlwind not changing damage depending on the unit's alignment, added a new sprite for pilferer, and a female variant for him too. added Arsonist line (since outlaws seriously lacked fire damage),outlaws can now recruit naga hunters, added Dwarvish Underearth Crownbearer (lvl5 dwarvish arcanister) new color for sacred rune in runecaster's amla, made naga marksman's poison attack 7-3 instead of 11-2, and gave him a 24-1 marksman attack only attack, nerfed Gryphon Lord's ranged attack (25-1 > 15-1), added Elephant Cataphract (opt. lvl3 from Knight), nerfed Faerie Spirit's hp, but but buffed up the damage of both attacks to 6-5, tweaked dwarvish gunslinger's attack animation, inceased Noble's cost by 2 and decreased hp by 3, nerfed the whole elvish spearman line, nerfed elvish glavier and elvish juggernaut, nerfed elvish hunter line a bit, gave him a short sword (4-5 melee on lvl1),nerfed elvish adept, nerfed dwarvish alchemist's damages again (melee 8-2 > 7-2, range 12-2 > 11-2, since he is a healer, which is already a huge deal since dwarves have high resistances to most things. also, gave alchemist a new attack icon for melee), added Dwarvish Ice Sage,Dwarvish Glacierblade and Dwarvish Avalanche (three units that don't have any advancements or advancefroms, currently leader-only), nerfed dwarvish ancient berserker's hp (68>58), did a few changes to Arch Necromancer ( gave him 20% cold resistance, removed darkens ability, and added lich transformation ability instead (he is reborn as a lich with half hp on death)),nerfed Blood Monster line, buffed up Basilisk Cultist, did a few changes to the 'inspires' ability, nerfed Foraging Carapace's blade/impact resistances and ranged damage, but made their movement cost on rough terrain better, buffed up Ranged Toad branch a bit, increased Auguric Toad's magic resistances, and added a bonus fireball attack for the lvl3, made carapaces less comfortable in hills and mountains, and decreased their water defense to 40%, once again tweaks for Corrupted Forest (you will now hear wail sounds, made the 2 gryphon lords in the last gryphon wave minibosses, improved the enemy AI a bit (it will attack in groups, and become careful during the morning (which isn't a lot of time, mind you), did a few tweaks to the AI waves, as well as made some of them change according to the set difficulty, reworked some of the dialogue, added a custom map-exclusive Dark Cultist unit line, added a portrait for *garbled*)), added elvish Windwaker (opt. lvl5 from sylph), new sprite for Blazer (it's a franken from the lvl2 with a few bonus things), a few further nerfs to the orcish shaman line, decreased Hag's hp a bit, but gave her selfheal, added Wahash (opt. lvl3 from Eskiya), added Walking Mummy (tanky undead lvl0 with no lvl1, has poison melee, and wail ranged), added Master Javelineer (lvl3 javelineer, of course)

jeez, that was a lot :whistle:
Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: The Golden Age (WIP era)

Post by Aldarisvet »

ForestDragon wrote:come on, no feedback yet, seriously?
I am happy your Era is visible in Wesnoth Units Database finally, at least I see a Hag in it, that means it was updated.
Looks much better now, I see no trash units there or lines with different styles in sprites. But still, nothing too much new (I am not commenting the gameplay).
I will see a new update after this Saturday then.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Aldarisvet wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:come on, no feedback yet, seriously?
I am happy your Era is visible in Wesnoth Units Database finally, at least I see a Hag in it, that means it was updated.
Looks much better now, I see no trash units there or lines with different styles in sprites. But still, nothing too much new (I am not commenting the gameplay).
I will see a new update after this Saturday then.
well, the database still doesn't display full lines for some units, but i am glad it's working for the most. btw, it hasn't been updated with newest changes. btw, in the new update, i replaced the blazer sprite with one that i frankensteined from lvl2 (to make the style more consistent). about new things: well, my job is copy-pasting decent-art units units from existing campaigns, so it's pretty difficult to get innovative :lol: you seem to have seen a lot of unit sprites, but you don't seem to post much of them recently, btw, Kwandulin (he my 60%+ dwarf provider, and all khalifate sprites are copied from him) updated Ashen Hearts again, so expect 3 new unit incoming ;)
Last edited by ForestDragon on September 1st, 2016, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: The Golden Age (WIP era)

Post by Aldarisvet »

ForestDragon wrote: but you don't seem to post much of them recently
I hope you understand that my facebook page is not only for UMC creators, I cant fill it only with sprites, there must be various content that would attract newbies also who have no idea what is so interesting in new sprites except they look good (especially in the case there are no campaigns where they can see these sprites).
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Aldarisvet wrote:
ForestDragon wrote: but you don't seem to post much of them recently
I hope you understand that my facebook page is not only for UMC creators, I cant fill it only with sprites, there must be various content that would attract newbies also who have no idea what is so interesting in new sprites except they look good (especially in the case there are no campaigns where they can see these sprites).
well, ok, i understand now, thanks.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Btw concerning Battle Mages, I think that names Battle Mage -> Duelist Mage looks quite strange. Because Battle Mage sounds greater, and moreover I cant imagine a mage who is a duelist. Even Fencer Mage sounds better.
I can suggest for you: Sworded Mage -> Battle Mage.

Actually I made that Mages as replacement of Rogue Mages line from Liberty because I do not like these mages sprites in all these versions (and the latest is worst amongst them for me, far from mainline in the style), but I really like the idea of mages who balances between light and dark and also can use swords.
So in names I wanted to reflect that they are both shadow mages and use swords. I was not happy with current names Battlemage -> Shadow Battlemage. Because simple battlemage also using shadow magic in my campaign, but I was not able to invent something better.
But now I got it!
Sworded Shadowmage -> Battle Shadowmage
Somehow your attempt to rename my mages get me into this idea. I will rename them in the next release of A Whim of Fate.
But seems your sworded mages use fire instead of shadow magic, you can use that shorter, so the full line would be
Mage -> Sworded Mage -> Battle Mage.
Angelonius

Post by Angelonius »

I'm still waiting for the Flailbearer.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

@Aldarsivet:thanks for the idea :), will include it in the new update
Angelonius wrote:I'm still waiting for the Flailbearer.
hmmm, the thing is, there isn't much to advance her from