Era of more units

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_King

Era of more units

Post by Elvish_King »

This is the feedback thread to my new era which has this creative name (irony :D ) Era of more units.

About:
- This is an era using mostly all of the default units distributed into different factions. Each faction contains (more or less) one race.
- In addition to that every faction has at least one new unit (lvl. 1-3), which I made myself or took from other eras/campaigns.
(A file with all the authors will be found when downloading)
- There are currently eight factions and more are planned. Theese are: humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, undead, outlaws, merfolk and drakes.
Spoiler:

Todo:
- I plan to add more factions in the updates: desert-elves, drakes, nagas and former slaves (like trolls, goblins and ogres,...)
- There are some unit descriptions missing
- I want every unit to have attack and defens animations (and that will take a while...)

Participate:
- If you want to you can help me doing things above or...
- ...others may want translating the era into their language. (If it gets uploaded to WesCamp)
- or give ideas refering to new units and/or sth. else

- Feedback is welcome to...
- ...artwork
- ...gameplay (meaning was it fun?...)
- ...units and factions (sth. to strong/weak?...)
- ...bug reports
Last edited by Elvish_King on October 10th, 2015, 1:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Visit my threads:
Era:Era of more units
Artwork:Art
Marizius

Re: Era of more units

Post by Marizius »

I like it...

but i think 40 units are overkill. For what need the human a third cavallery? it would end like the Royal guard: no one use it. But i look forward for the dwarvisch miners. a unit that lacks in the game at the moment. Do you want to seperate Goblins (Kobolde) for Orcs? I have done it, but in wesnoth they are one race. Just saying because your orcs has only 25 units (compared to the man with 40) so the goblins will fill that gape.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Here you can have another unit to undeads, Terror hulk.
terror_hulk.png
terror_hulk.png (8.87 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
terror-hulk-attack-1.png
terror-hulk-attack-1.png (8.67 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
terror-hulk-attack-2.png
terror-hulk-attack-2.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

Marizius wrote:but i think 40 units are overkill. For what need the human a third cavallery? it would end like the Royal guard: no one use it. But i look forward for the dwarvisch miners. a unit that lacks in the game at the moment. Do you want to seperate Goblins (Kobolde) for Orcs? I have done it, but in wesnoth they are one race. Just saying because your orcs has only 25 units (compared to the man with 40) so the goblins will fill that gape.
Maybe three cavallery are too much but I wanted a custom unit in each faction. The dwarvish miners are very weak but have a special ability: It earns his side 5 Gold when he stands on a mountain or a hill. I know that the orcs are not so much like the others but (as I said) I plan to make a faction out of goblins, trolls and orcs with a couple of custom units.
ChaosRider wrote:Here you can have another unit to undeads, Terror hulk.
I think I'm going to use it as a lvl. 3 for the other hulks. You will be credited.
Visit my threads:
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

The idea is brilliant - and your units are very good ;)
But, as Marizius wrote, too many similar units makes your era worse & it's difficult to keep it balanced.
You'd better make e.g. more advances for custom units or something like that.

Merfolk and naga factions - bad idea in my opinion because the swimmers have got weak defense on the flat terrain so they'd be weak here. Every faction in the Default Era has got one or more units to swim/ fly over water. Lack of them would make some factions stronger than other (dwarves with gryphons and undead with bats and ghosts)
Spoiler:
PS when are you gonna publish your add-on?
Last edited by pe_em on March 12th, 2015, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marizius

Post by Marizius »

Maybe three cavallery are too much but I wanted a custom unit in each faction.
Ah ok... than lets see how they will be. But you could also make a LVL4 for the maininfantry? like Royalguard for Swordsman, and, dont know...Heavie Halberdiar? for Pike
The dwarvish miners are very weak but have a special ability: It earns his side 5 Gold when he stands on a mountain or a hill
like i say i look forward to it. maybe you could make pleasents also?
I plan to make a faction out of goblins, trolls and orcs with a couple of custom units
You mean orges instat of orcs, right? the mainproblem of that is that all 3 units has a diffrend... picturspeech. Ogre are a other army as Goblins and you see that, but Orcs and Goblins are the same side. so i will wait what you show us :-)
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

pe_em wrote:PS when are you gonna publish your add-on?
I currently have a problem with the _server.pbl file and the undead faction is not finished but I plan to publish it soon (in a week or so).
Visit my threads:
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

Sorry for posting so late but my PC didn't work the last days, so you had to wait for piblishing. But now I'm finished. :D
Because I am somehow to stupid to upload it to the add-on server I post the .zip file here and maybe one friendly forum user can uplaod it for me. If nobody does it, it can only be downloaded from here, so now:

Era of more units 1.0 is out!!!
Attachments
Era_of_more_units.zip
(6.93 MiB) Downloaded 830 times
Visit my threads:
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Rename your file _server.pbl.cfg to _server.pbl and you will be able to upload it on your own. More people will notice it, if it is uploaded on the add-on servers. Good luck!
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Just two quick questions:

You are taking out all level 0 units?

No Khalifate?
I have a cunning plan.
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

nuorc wrote:Just two quick questions:

You are taking out all level 0 units?

No Khalifate?
Oh, s***.... I forgot to add some of the lvl.0s I wanted to. Now I don't have the time to add them but in fone of the following updates I will do.
I'm planning more factions and one of theese will be the Khalifates.

EDIT:Thanks a lot, Kwandulin. Now
Era of more units 1.0 is also added to the add-on server!!!
Visit my threads:
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

Era of more units 1.1 is out!!!
Features:
- Some minor bugfixes
- comlete new faction: Merfolk
- containing: a new ability and 2 new unit lines: Pearldiver -> Shellhunter -> Treasureseeker and Corsair -> Pirate (+ units from Dead Water)
Visit my threads:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It has just been brought to my attention that your add-on uses [advancefrom] to extend the advancement path of the mainline Elvish Hero. This is not a good thing and causes errors for people joining games without the era installed even if the host doesn’t specifically select the era (having it installed is enough to break things). So, this is something you might want to consider fixing when you have the chance.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Robertdebrus

Post by Robertdebrus »

I believe that the ids of the Orcish Raider and the other Bad Moon Rising orcs are identical to the ones in Bad Moon Rising, but it doesn't break the game, so it isn't a major bug.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Robertdebrus wrote:I believe that the ids of the Orcish Raider and the other Bad Moon Rising orcs are identical to the ones in Bad Moon Rising, but it doesn't break the game, so it isn't a major bug.
I don't know how the Era of More Units is organized, but if it includes, for example, Orcish Raider with [advancefrom] tag pointing to a mainline unit, like orc grunt, then it is a major bug, since it will contaminate that mainline orc grunt unit for the other players, and they don't have the add-on data, so there is an OOS or crash when that mainline unit advances. At least that's my understanding, so I avoid [advancefrom] like the plague.

If you want to give a mainline unit more advancement options, make a new unit with a new id, and use [base_unit] to copy all the data from the mainline unit, except write out the advances_to line like you want. Below is an example of a goblin from Archaic Era, it is only a few lines because it uses mainline data, but it has different advancements, and a couple other things:

Code: Select all

[unit_type]
    id=Archaic_Goblin
    [base_unit]
        id=Goblin Spearman
    [/base_unit]
    advances_to=Frost Goblin, Snow Drummer
    image="units/orcs/snow-spearman.png"
    movement_type=orcish_snowfoot
    {DEFENSE_ANIM_DIRECTIONAL "units/orcs/snow-spearman.png" "units/orcs/snow-spearman.png" "units/orcs/snow-spearman.png" "units/orcs/snow-spearman.png" {SOUND_LIST:GOBLIN_HIT} }

{STANDING_ANIM_DIRECTIONAL "units/orcs/snow-spearman.png" "units/orcs/snow-spearman.png"}
[/unit_type]

BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects