Aetas Magica (0.0.1)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

firefox

Aetas Magica (0.0.1)

Post by firefox »

:D Welcome to the official Aetas Magica Development Thread! :D

Today you will find Aetas Magica 0.0.1 on the 1.12 add-on server.
Since my old project on the 1.8 server scored 4068 downloads alhough I just uploaded 3 demo versions,
I felt confident to start with a demo version aggain.
Also I hope to get more motivated if people know what I am doing. :lol:
So what is in this demo version?
It contains the Children of Gaia faction. Only one of their units is actually new, but that's all I have for now.
You can test it aggainst the Northeners from the default era. When I finish the next faction, the Northerners will be removed from this add-on.
What is [i]Aeteas Magica[/i]?
"Aetas Magica" is latin and can be translated as "Age of Magic" or "Times of Magic".
It is intended to be set in the world Irdya, so that it can be used to expand the story of Wesnoth.
I have not specified any timelines yet, so it may be used before and after the fall. (But I think that before the fall makes more sense.)
I plan to make 8 factions, 2 for each alignment.
I also have an idea for a campaign named "The Philosopher's Stone" but I will not tell you about it yet.
The 8 Factions
Children of Gaia
Wood Elves that specialize in Archery.
They are almost like the Rebels from default era, but I replaced the Mage and Merman Hunter with the Fairy unit line.

Solomon's Disciples
Alchemists from south-eastern lands where the terrain is more dessert-like.
They specialize on alchemy, so all of their units are based on elemental attributes:
Ignis - attack, Terra - defense, Aer - speed, Aqua - balance
Their main unit is the Alchemist, he has 4 different advancement paths.
The other units are elemental spirits.

The Tribes
Orcs that specialize on spiritualism. They are liminal.
They will be similar to the default orcs but instead of assassins, trolls and goblins they will have shamans and spirits.
Instead of the Wolf Rider they will have a Spirit Falcon.

Ancient Kingdom
A dwarven society ruled by seven kings.
They specialize on runecrafting, which means that they construct magical clockwork devices.
(e.g. floating castles, magic cannons, mechanical beasts)

Kaiser Reich
A religious human empire ruled by the holy Kaiser.
Similar to the Loyalists but with more holy magic.
Their units are Priests and Temple Knights.

Children of Nyx
Dark Elves that specialize in astral magic.
They are similar to Wood Elves but wield magic instead of bows. They also craft different weapons.

Underwolrd Society
Humans that live in the underworld. They guard the gates between this world and the Netherworld.
They focus on the art of summoning demons.

Sennin
Ninjas from the lands of mist. Their goal is to maintain balance between light and darkness.
They are liminal and have the best movement of all factions.
They are quick and elusive and can walk over water.
All feedback, balance suggestions, ideas for unit descriptions, lore (should be compatible with mainline lore) or other things are to be posted here.
If you want to support Aetas Magica with art, post it here too. (I will not start an art threat until I learn pixel art.)

Any praise or crtique is welcome, there are no dumb questions, feel free to tell me everything. :)
Last edited by firefox on December 5th, 2014, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
may the source be with you
=(^.^)= nyan~
Temuchin Khan

Re: Aetas Magica (0.0.1)

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I'm intrigued. Good luck with this!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I'm intrigued at playing this one as well, but only when it reaches a beta-testing phase...(Since I got exams and I'm busy studying for them)
"The Philosopher's Stone"
Why does this sound like a Harry Potter novel? :hmm: Oh wait, it's the same name as the first one in the series. Changing the name would be better. :)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Why does this sound like a Harry Potter novel? :hmm: Oh wait, it's the same name as the first one in the series. Changing the name would be better. :)
Harry Potter, Inc. really shouldn't be allowed to claim that name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher%27s_stone
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
firefox

Post by firefox »

my campaign idea is totally unrelated to Harry Potter.
i was inspired to this idea by 2 anime series (one about alchemy and the philosopher's stone and one about djinn and king solomon).
by combining theese two elements i composed my story line.
i choose the name "The Philosopher's Stone" because that is the main theme of the campaign.
but if it is too confusing i can change it to "The Sage's Stone".

however, i will not start working on this until i release version 1.0 of Aetas Magica (where all 8 factions are basically done).
balancing can always be done and creating unit art will take a very lomg time. so only the basic unit.cfg's are nessesary to start.
since you brought up the theme i will tell you about my story concept:
Spoiler:
back to the topic:

i noticed that i forgot to change the Blue Fairy's defense for castle terrain. i fixed it, but did not upload it yet.
it will come with the next update.
i decided to do the "Solomon's Disciples" next, because i already put a lot of thought into their design.
for now i will frankenstein their sprites using sprites from the "Era of Magic", but when i learn to make pixel art, the design of the elementals will undergo dramatic changes.
=(^.^)= nyan~
firefox

Post by firefox »

playing games is much more fun than developing add-ons. so i didn't make any progress so far.

and now that i feel inspired to work again, i got myself involved into the development of a Minetest add-on.
this will probably take most of my time, so i will pause the development of Aetas Magica for now.

this project is NOT abandoned and you may NOT take control of it.
=(^.^)= nyan~
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I hope to see Children of Nyx faction some day. I really like dark elves, and astral magic is fitting for them.
playing games is much more fun than developing add-ons
For me its other way around though.
firefox

Post by firefox »

big news:

in the last time i have played more minetest than wesnoth.
also ideas for minetest come more easy to me than ideas for wesnoth, so i decided to make a minetest subgame instead of a wesnoth era.
the only wesnoth i played was LotI, which inspired me to change my campaign idea to be more like LotI.

if i get back to developing wesnoth add-ons, i will probably change my concept again.
so i offer Aetas Magica for takeover.
if anyone is interested in it and wants to develop it, send me a PM and i will give you my pbl file.
then it's all yours ;) .
=(^.^)= nyan~