Era_of_Bronze_Age_Clashes - gameplay & bugs

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HaChol

Era_of_Bronze_Age_Clashes - gameplay & bugs

Post by HaChol »

Under Era of Bronze Age Clashes

(A) I contributed new Eras to wesnoth servers 1.10 and 1.11 respectively:
.. these babies still need some tuning and customisations.

(B) I adapted a MP scenario also, for faction testing purposes:
  • Era_of_Bronze_Age_Clashes_vs_Survival
(C) The older Eras:
  • The_Ivrim
    Bronze_Age_Clashes
are obsolet now, and have auto dependency links to the new versions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S.: I keep this first page updated, so I will edit it time by time ^_^
P.P.S.:... please see this thread, also: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33782

:)
Attachments
war-chariot  :   a gimmick
war-chariot : a gimmick
warchariot-3_idle.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 6204 times
Last edited by HaChol on January 29th, 2014, 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The fruit of a righteous man is the tree of life, and the wise man acquires souls.
And I said, I will perish with my nest, and I will multiply days as the chol.
Andrettin

Re: New Era "Bronze Age Clashes"

Post by Andrettin »

This is a great idea! :)
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I agree. I'll be interested to see this era.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Some suggestions:

Dwarves

Fighter - could remain as is, but equipped with a bronze axe.
Steelclad - clearly would need to be changed to something else, possibly a simple name change to something like "Brassclad" (since "Bronzeclad" doesn't sound very well) would work, and equipment would need to be changed accordingly
Lord - changing the equipment to bronze age equivalents should do

Guardsman, Stalwart and Sentinel - no change needed, except perhaps in the sprite to make the armor look more bronzeish

Thunderer, Thunderguard and Dragonguard - would need to be removed, since gunpowder has no place in a bronze age setting

Ulfserker, Berserker - could be kept as is, but changing the axe to seem more bronzeish

Gryphon Rider, Gryphon Master - could have the armor changed to look more bronzeish; or alternatively, it could be established that during their bronze age, the dwarves didn't have yet the capability to tame gryphons

I would also suggest adding a new unit for the dwarves: Spearwielder, which should function more or less like an archer, but would throw javelins instead of using a bow and arrows, and would have the terrain affinities of a dwarf.
HaChol

Post by HaChol »

Hello dear friends, laydies and gentlemen of the wesnoth realms!

Thank you for all your support. And I will take the advantage to whish all of you a happy new year, many more interesting wesnoth experiances and warmly all the best! :D

Sorry for the late reply, but i did have some hassles in real life. We moved and my laptop crashed and i did lots of artworks and such again...
I will repost a better stable version of my era soon...

Untill then, good luck and best whishes,... Hachol! :)

P.S.: As of now (17.Jan.2014) I re-uploaded my faction "The Ivrim" , a more mainline fixed version with some more new artwork.
Please have a look or install it ;)
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=39394
The fruit of a righteous man is the tree of life, and the wise man acquires souls.
HaChol

Re: Era_of_Bronze_Age_Clashes - gameplay & bugs

Post by HaChol »

I have some new Eras out! The stuff is on wesnoth servers 1.10.x and 1.11.8 respectively now.
.. these babies still need some tuning and customisations. ^_^

Have fun!
Art by 'Major'!
Art by 'Major'!
samaritan-5_attack.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 5526 times

I also did issue an adapted vs_Survival mp-campaign, for faction testing purposes.
Now the enemy waves are all default mainline factions and pretty much standard selections.
It is called :
  • Era_of_Bronze_Age_Clashes_vs_Survival
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I combined your posts into one as they were minutes apart. Avoid double-posting.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
HaChol

Post by HaChol »

Thank you, Turuk.
I am sorry for that! :oops:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

No worries. Live, learn, read the Posting Guidelines. :eng:
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

I dont get it...
why are you referring to other people's faction threads ? There is 0 similarity between that 'faction' of yours and my khalifate.
And no im absolutely not interested in designing a faction for you.. censored ? :lol:

Poorly spelled profanities still count.
HaChol

Post by HaChol »

• No problem, Eagle_11, you can still go on and design your own private factions, did not intend to disturb you.
    Let me tell you a parabel: You know, what makes -let's say- books real good (famous, text, classical) books, yes, the references!
    Your oriental mental khalifate and Wintermute's muslim era khalifate and my arab era al-qedarites, you mean, they have nothing mutual in common? Well right, they do not all feature flying oriental carpet units, that's your point!
^_^
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'd like to request that you compress the number of add-ons you have up on the sever or that you find someway to distinguish them from each other. A player shouldn't have to chose between Bronze Age Clashes and Era of Bronze Age clashes or be forced to download both when they're likely nearly the exact same thing. You don't need to make separate add-ons for each sub faction/era of you add-on; you can release it all as one add-on and then have that add-on include multiple eras that the player can choose from. This would both simplify things and eliminate a lot of potential file redundancy/bugs.

EDIT: It would also prevent people from downloading one add-on only to discover that the need to download half a dozen more. KISS.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
HaChol

Post by HaChol »

Hey Velensk, I did delete the older Eras, as you requested. You are right with that. I tried to deliver them old ones as macerated bare bone packages with a dependency link to the replacement ones. But I deleted them old ones right away, because you are right.

Concerning the number of add ons, you may see, that Era of Bronze Age Clashes is an umbrella era, with each requesting/participating/depending era staying alone as a neat round functioning independent era-package.

I would say, it may ease the mainenace of the code.
  • Factions share a clear raw era-structure (file format, folder logic) but differentiate in inner characteristica.
    Analyse of each faction/era on it's own (units, strengths, values, abilities) is possible.
    Analyse of the factions in an interplay situation via umbrella era.
    Breakdown of code would not influence the hole umbrella era.
    Outcommenting of malfunction era with only a hash .. and ready for maintenance.
You may notice a series of the same icons, indicating to my work on the add-on servers, though. And you may notice to have to download depending eras. Hope this is not too much a burden. maybe I will clear my user folder off of them and make the experience you did ... :hmm:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

HaChol wrote:You may notice a series of the same icons, indicating to my work on the add-on servers, though. And you may notice to have to download depending eras. Hope this is not too much a burden. maybe I will clear my user folder off of them and make the experience you did ...
As Velensk noted, this is key, as most people don't want to download multiple add-ons due to various dependencies you have built in, and it also reduces the clutter/noise of having multiple similar add-ons on the server.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Quite simply put: No.

If they need each other, then just put them together. It will simplify the coding rather than complicating it. You can get all the advantages you listed in a much simpler way.

-Factions share a clear era structure is easier when they're all in the same place and can be organized in the same way as each other there. It's actually easier to give them all different structures when they're separate.
-Analyze factions on it's own is just as possible when they're together as when they're separate. Ignoring the ability to just pick and choose what you look at via the hopefully well organized factions (and I must say I didn't find it easy to analyze Irvin the way you had organized it by looking at the files) you can include eras for each individual faction in one add-on instead of forcing the players to remember what add-ons are connected when they're trying to get rid of the whole thing. Aside it's worth noting that factions are compared to factions and no faction really stands on it's own in anything (you can compare everything to mainline but for some eras that'll only cause problems).
-This isn't an advantage, this is saying that it doesn't break anything.
-If there is anything in your era that causes the code to break down, you should fix it before you release it. Era's are not massive complicated projects with many contributers and it's easy to notice when there's something that takes the whole thing down.
-I'm really not sure what you mean with this last one.

Basically, I don't like being told when I download something that I have to download several other things for it to do anything especially when the other things were built for the first thing and not the other way around. I also don't like to have to delete multiple things to get rid of one thing, or have to go hunting through multiple add-on folders to look at the different parts of a single era especially when the central Era files are in a different place all together. Basically doing it the way you're doing it causes clutter and I really don't like clutter. These may seem like petty issues but when it comes to it having to put up with these things annoys me and makes it so that I feel less inclined to do volunteer work for a project.

Incidentally. I've looked at the most recent version of Irvin but before I give any kind of feedback I want you to tell me where you think the problems are and what should be done.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."