Ageless II (for 1.11.x only)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UnwiseOwl

Ageless II (for 1.11.x only)

Post by UnwiseOwl »

This era, available only on the 1.11 server, is a quick mash-up of many of the existing 1.11 factions, based on fogofgold's indeterminated era, which uses the factions from other eras as dependencies instead of creating its own version. To the best of my knowledge it includes versions of each of the working factions available on the 1.11 server, with the exception of the Nightmares of Meloen, which I can't get to work yet. This should allow those of you who've been wanting to play with updated factions and don't want to wait for the next release of Ageless to have a go, or can be used as a quick way to download all the multiplayer eras on the server, if you had need to do so. It runs a little slow, as you'd imagine, since it has to reference all the files, but it does run.

There is no promise at all of balance, it's out of my control. There may be many bugs, but please only report errors here that you don't get in the original eras, otherwise errors and balancing comments should be made in the relevant threads. All credit goes to the creators and maintainers of the various eras, without whom none of these beautiful factions would exist. I've cut out some factions that I consider to be extremely similar to others just to save confusion, if you object to the choice of one faction over another please let me know why and I'll make any required changes.

EDIT: I've put up a new version which includes links to the various utils files that should mean that more special abilities work properly (I think there are still issues with Era of Magic and Grafted, at minimum). However, if two or more of the eras use different versions of the same named macro or unit we're going to have conflicts, so if anyone notices anything odd please let me know (it's probably my eras that are at fault anyway).

Currently available factions:

Archaic Era
Maintainer: doofus-01
Despair
Khthon
Northern Orcs
Phantom
Primeval
South-Seas
Ukians

Era of Chaos
Maintainer: bumbadadabum
Aragwaithi
Dwarves
Elementals
Imperials
Infernals
Orcs
Quenoth Elves
Sylvans
Vampires
Wild Humans
(Undead - see Default Era)

Default Era
Drakes
Loyalists
Undead
Knalgans
Rebels
Northerners

Age of Dinosaurs
Carnivorous Dinos
Herbivorous Dinos

Empire Era
Elvish Mystics
Human Troopers
Orcish Raiders

Feudal Era
Maintainer: UnwiseOwl
Ceresian League
Clockwork Dwarves
High Elves
Kedari
(Aragwaithi - see Era of Chaos)
(Orcish Khanagates - see Grafted Era "Steppe Orcs")

Grafted Era
Maintainer: mystic x the unknown
Darklands
Halflings
Steppe Orcs
(Nightmares of Moelen - currently broken)

Imperial Era
Arendians
Cavernei
Issaelfr
Lavinian Legion
Marauders
Orcei Gladiatores
Sidhe

War of Legends
Maintainer: Lord-Knightmare
Dark Legion
Human Alliance
Minotaurs
Outlaws
Southerners
Windsong
(Elementals - see Era of Chaos)
(Sylvans - see Era of Chaos)
(Vampires - see Era of Chaos)

Era of Magic
Maintainer: inferno8
al-Kamija
Barbarians
Darkblood Alliance
Destroyers
Kharos
Runemasters
Sky Kingdom
Tharis

Era of Myths
Maintainer: bumbadadabum
Celestials
Devlings
Therians
Wargs
(Elementals - see Era of Chaos)
(Vampires - see Era of Chaos)
(Windsong - see War of Legends)

Water Era
Maintainer: franz_mp
Brungar
Mermen
Nagas
Sea Monsters
Water Elvish
(South Seas Humans - see Archaic Era "South-Seas")

Wild Era
Menn
Monsters

If I've missed anything please let me know and I'll update. And of course, if you would like your factions to be removed from this add-ons, please ask and I'll be able to oblige.

Players are reminded to ensure they update all relevant eras before attempting to use this era, or they will get OOS errors.
Last edited by UnwiseOwl on April 30th, 2013, 1:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
kBunz

Re: Ageless II

Post by kBunz »

as that's a bit of a personal favorite of mine i see there's no steelhive in it, there's a version with updated animations and units floating around it would be cool to see it in.

anyway, nice job!
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I'm afraid that I'm limited to factions available on the 1.11 servers, and as far as I know the steelhive aren't there yet. Another notable faction not yet available are the Kalifate. Both will be added quickly after they're ported to 1.11
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
Piko555

Post by Piko555 »

Just asking... How much was you working on the Water Era factions before adding them? Note that this era isn't named "water" for no reason - all units in this are good in water (and sometimes bad on land) what can make them incompatible with others.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

No work whatsoever has gone into any of the factions, the era directly references the original eras. In the case of the water era, you'd probably be disadvantaged as you play them on a land-based map, and have an unfair advantage on a water one.
But hey, if that's what people want to do, they have the option.
\
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

For the sake of keeping all add-ons updated and having a more comprehensive list, I think your factions list should be sorted by eras, and not alphabetically, all eras together... It could even be an easier way to give credit to the respective authors and link to the appropriate threads. Something like this:
Era of Something, by SomeUser
Faction
Faction
Faction
etc.

Era of something sligthly different
Faction
Faction
Faction
etc.

etc.
Just sayin' :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

You may be right there.
They were mostly grouped alphabetically so that I could sort out similar factions and ensure that all the ones that I was using were unique, and also so they're alphabetical for the player to select (think of Johnny Nowesenoth, he knows that he wants to play Elementals but doesn't know what era they're from).
The credits thing might be good, though. I need to think about that, I'v just got to work out the best way to do it that won't mean too much maintenance.
Twilight_Alchemist

Post by Twilight_Alchemist »

What about the Empire Era?
Co-creator of Ice Age Fun. Former username is King_Link (IAF credits). Current Project is Ice Age Fun Redux (to be announced)
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

EDIT: I've had a look at the Empire era and it seems to me that very few of the factions are even approaching playability yet. I'm adding in the Humans, Elves and Orcs, but the others will need a few units each before I add them.
Last edited by UnwiseOwl on April 30th, 2013, 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well Johnny Nowesenoth can just hit ctrl+f and type "Elementals" to see if they're there and if so, in which era. You can even put a word to that effect at the start of your original post if you worry he wouldn't think of it. And I'm talking mostly for this thread, not necessarily for the factions' list in-game...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
UnwiseOwl

Re: Ageless II (for 1.11.x only)

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Your wish is my command.
I've also uploaded a new version (0.1.1), which includes the Empire Era and the Age of Dinosaurs, which I'd missed, as well as an Age of Heroes version for all factions that have a working one.
Covertpenguin

Post by Covertpenguin »

This era is currently messed up due to dependencies that no longer exist ; (
HaChol

Post by HaChol »

You may cover/integrate my new era called Era_Ivrim also with you distribution/collection Ageless II for 1.11.x.
At least , please have a look!
Recently I downgraded it a lot towards mainline, with much less fancy shmancy features and abilities and I would regard it as already highly playable & fun!

It is unique with some interesting methods for alternative tactics.

Maybe it will get the interest of more gamers and eventually gets more constructive critiques and tips for optimization.

Would be very nice of yoy to have a look, thanks!

See:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=39394
Attachments
A fighter unit.
A fighter unit.
kohen_idle-2.png (5.79 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
A healer unit.
A healer unit.
rav-3_idle.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
A peasant.
A peasant.
ivri.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
The fruit of a righteous man is the tree of life, and the wise man acquires souls.
And I said, I will perish with my nest, and I will multiply days as the chol.
Covertpenguin

Post by Covertpenguin »

I just would like for this Era to work on 1.11 =/ or does it work currently for other people?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I made a correction to the latest version of Ageless II. Since the era was made, two Era of Chaos factions, the Imperials and the Infernals, have been merged into one faction called Chaos Empire. Here's the corrected version:
Ageless_II_Era.zip
(10.01 KiB) Downloaded 386 times