Random background units/monsters, redux.

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Circon

Random background units/monsters, redux.

Post by Circon »

Brought off from http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3843, which went into flaming and commenting.

I think we can have several 'critters' such as snakes, hawks, boars and bears. These would be mostly lvl 0 (bear lvl 1, perhaps?) and would add a nice "background" flavor. They would not give much feature creep as they would not be recruitable units, only background elements of the terrain they are in.
(Even make them allied sometimes in HttT... the orcs, being merciless brutes, will hunt them down when they see them. Nice flavor for the game, IMO.)

Here's one example: The Viper.
[unit]
name=Viper
race= undead (to prevent being poisoned)
image=viper.png
hitpoints=12
movement_type= elusivefoot/swampfoot?
movement=7
experience=0
level=0
alignment=neutral
advanceto=null
cost=8
usage=fighter
unit_description="These small snakes are relatively rare in Wesnoth, but still fairly bothersome. While they can be deadly to commoners, they are only a minor irritant to armies or anyone with ranged means of attack."
get_hit_sound=hiss.wav
[resistance]
holy=80
cold=130
fire=90
blade=100
impact=100
pierce=70
[/resistance]
[attack]
name=bite
type=pierce
range=short
damage=6
number=1
special=poison
[/attack]
[/unit]

The image is a mock-up, it is nowhere near final, and I am no graphics artist. It is only an example of what could be done.
Attachments
Spent about 40 seconds making this in MS Paint. It was the first thing at hand.
Spent about 40 seconds making this in MS Paint. It was the first thing at hand.
viper.png (561 Bytes) Viewed 5671 times
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Hmm, I think I can remember somebody said something about "Circon, please don't draw units" :D

I agree they would add some background. I don't agree about making them allied to anybody, at least as a norm, even if there are northerners in the map, and I definitely don't think giving a snake the same speed as a horse is a good idea. It's far faster than many units...

For the graphic, I'll comment also that it should be smaller, IMO. With the relative size of units, it's more like an anaconda :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

it would be really annoying having these guys cause ZoC problems when they are obviously no threat at all. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Circon wrote:I think we can have several 'critters' such as snakes, hawks, boars and bears. These would be mostly lvl 0 (bear lvl 1, perhaps?) and would add a nice "background" flavor. They would not give much feature creep as they would not be recruitable units, only background elements of the terrain they are in.
(Even make them allied sometimes in HttT... the orcs, being merciless brutes, will hunt them down when they see them. Nice flavor for the game, IMO.)
Like the units in FtF? I have:

cow
horse
chicken
crow
rabbit
falcon (lvl 1)
wolf (lvl 1)
rock golem (lvl 2)
lava monster (lvl 2)
lava beast (lvl 3)

However, the crow and falcon use WML to animate them, and the wolf on down play a role in scenarios.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

How about an ability that disables a units ZOC? like "inoffencive" or somthign like that.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Kamahawk wrote:How about an ability that disables a units ZOC? like "inoffencive" or somthign like that.
I think that NPCs should have a ZOC, because they can be used for scenario purposes.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Circon

Post by Circon »

Making them allied, as I proposed, would stop ZoC annoying you.

Yes, movement needs to be toned down, but it was a first draft... Dropping a few of these as enemies in a swamp would be nice effect, IMO, without being too dangerous.

Elusivefoot was mainly to give a defense value, not movement cost. I was thinking 2/3/4 in different terrains.
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

Mmm, creeps. Having creatures that are neutral as far as the plot goes, and indifferent to each other, that wander around the map would be neat. Did this discussion go any further?
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
iBrow

Post by iBrow »

I agree that neutral creatures would be cool and add flavour, but I agree with others that they shouldn't have ZoC... that just wouldn't make any sense. How could the presence of a snake or a hawk possibly impede the advance of an army?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Well that's easy enough. Just make them Level 0, then they'll have no Zone of Control. Few creatures are a serious threat to a fully armed warrior anyway.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry