Battle for Westfront *WW2 Era in Early Period of War*

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ruglud

Re: Battle for Westfront *0.5.2 released*

Post by Ruglud »

No comments? Without feedback, I dont know what you want. :(

I have thought about the upgrade system and have a few ideas for the Germans.

Panzer II -> Panzer III -> Panzer IVD
Panzer II -> Panzer 38(t)

Panzer III -> Panzer IVD
Panzer III -> StuG

Krad -> SdKfz 222 (MG) -> SdKfz 222 (KwK & MG)

Pak 36 -> Pak 38
Pak 36 -> leIG 18 -> sIG 33

Schütze -> Feld-Sanitäter (field-medic) -> Sanitäter (medic)
Schütze -> Oberschütze -> Eliteschütze

Sturmsoldat -> Flammenwerferschütze (Flamethrower)
Sturmsoldat -> Panzerknacker (light Tankhunter) -> Panzerjäger (Tankhunter)

Machinegunner -> Elite-Machinegunner

Flak 38 -> 10,5cm Flak 39 -> Flak 88

And here some sprites of new upgrade units:

Panzer IVD: Image

StuG: Image

Pak 38: Image

Panzer 38(t): Image
Wenn Unrecht zu Recht wird, wird Widerstand zur Pflicht!

Nerdguygaming.tumblr.com
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

I'm busy at the moment, but I remember about feedback, don't worry :) This upgrade system looks great and makes sense, keep up the good work.
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

I'm back, I have not forgotten! Did you feel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grNUwuDkYmo ? :P Just kidding!
I apologise that I came again so late! But you work still impresses me. I must say that the development progress is shaping very nicely. :)
I love the faster gameplay and unit diversity. How I repair my warplanes? :hmm: I really don't know. And what do you think about adding 1-2 movement points to fighters and bombers and giving them skirmisher ability? It looks kinda weird when your plane gets blocked by a tank from the nearest hex.
You did wonderful job with air combat, it enriches the game by much! It's hard for me to write about overall balance of your era, I think that Battle for Westfront simply needs unit advancement... and I promise that I will write my thoughts after! This is the most desired (by me, haha!) and now lacking thing (I'm serious here).

Please, do not get discouraged by the possible lack of interest/feedback from other people. It is not a problem of your era, this is the problem of BfW in general. Addons do not recieve well-deserved support :| This game was made for user-made addons, but it tries to look as it wasn't... keep up the brilliant job!
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
Jepekula

Post by Jepekula »

Me and my friend have been trying this era out a little, and in our opinion it is quite good. But there is a one problem:
France sucks. Their infantry is pretty much useless and too expensive, and they do not even have grenades they can use to defend themselves from tanks, unlike other factions.
Ruglud

Post by Ruglud »

Thanks for your feedback!

France is a good choice, like all other factions, too. There is only a different way to play them. Infantry do not have classical grenades, but a "grenadelauncher" on rifles with a different profile. They use the best tank and have cheap versions, too. The anti-tank part is still changed. :wink:

All factions are different in their way of playing. Try to play France with a combination of Howitzers and infantry. Or only with tanks.
A good general is using all kinds of units. :eng:

Thank you for playing.

Nerdguygaming.tumblr.com
DMB

Post by DMB »

I gotta say, you make some fantastic sprites. I tried making sprites for a faction I'm creating, but well....suffice to say my skills are highly lacking. Everything works well, but it's annoying for planes to be attacked by AT Guns, even if they only do 1 damage per hit. I'm not sure if you could code it, but you could make them have a profile that can only be attacked by a certain attack type instead of just only taking 1 damage per hit from most types of attack. It's not major and it doesn't affect the game much, but it's just an idea.
Mr_Kipula

Post by Mr_Kipula »

Hello friend.
First, thank you! I love having a tactical strategy game themed in WWII.

I would like to make a couple of comments: I think that Sagez is right when proposes that aircrafts should have the skirmisher ability. They should be able to pass easily on enemy units.

Furthermore you mentioned that in this era will be the Russians and the British. I have curiosity, when will be seen? (Just curious, I do not mean to pressure...).
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Nice era!
Just a question: italians have only Bersaglieri and Alpini (special corps).
Where are the normal, ordinary soldiers?
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.
DMB

Post by DMB »

Probably fleeing in the opposite directing. Or hiding.

Both.

Italians weren't known for their morale and bravery in the face of danger. Who can blame em, it's not like they really wanted to fight.
Boss1138

Post by Boss1138 »

Looks awesome! Where can I download?
"Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: "With great power comes great responsibility." This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spiderman." ~Spider-Man
Mr_Kipula

Post by Mr_Kipula »

Hello, friend. Well, you can download it in the downloads section (http://addons.wesnoth.org/), or also through the game, with the add-ons administration, in the main menu of the game.
Ruglud

Post by Ruglud »

Hi guys!

It has been a long time since I take a look on that forum. I had much to do and no time for working on Battle for Westfront.

I have some announcements for you, but first, I will answer the questions. 8)

@DMB: Thank you! The Aircraft can be damaged by all kinds of units for 2 reasons. First, there is a realistic chance for every soldier to hit planes. Ive read from soldiers who destroyed aircrafts with their bolt action rifle. Its a slim chance, but its possible. (The soldiers of a Anti-Tank Gun uses their rifles, too) Second reason is the AI. The AI try to attack the aircraft even if they cant hit or damage the planes... :hmm: The damage of 1 is the result of penetrating chance of planes by conventinal weapons.

@Mr.Kipula:
Thank you, I hope you have fun with Westfront so far.
The skirmisher ability for planes will entering the next patch. British and Russian will come when they done. :mrgreen:

@MattDakka:
Thank you for your feedback!
The idea for this units accrued in a time where the upgrade system wasnt planned. In next updates, They will get ordinary soldiers and the Bersaglieri will be an "advancement".

Now my plans for the near future:
I hope to release a little update this week. In the end of July I can start working on the next big updates in 3 steps.
Step 1: Animations for polish, french and italian units.
Step 2: Create upgradesystem
Step3: Implement upgrade units
After Step3, you will find Version 1.0!

Be prepared! ^_^

Nerdguygaming.tumblr.com
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I tried this out in multiplayer and I'm really enjoying it. I love the feeling I get as my mighty Panzers mash through all resistance and my planes hunt down all survivors.

Just a minor nitpick - England hasn't existed as an independent country since 1707. It's part of the United Kingdom (UK) now.
Ruglud

Post by Ruglud »

Version 0.5.5 is ready!

Patchlog:
- skirmish ability for all aircraft
- right categories for all units in discription panel (Infantry, tanks, military vehicles, guns, light tanks, aircraft)
- 4 new attack-images (Grenades, bombs, rounds and tank shells)

edit: I finished a symbol for Westfront:

Like before: Feedback is welcome! :)

@flameslash:
I am very pleased to hear that you have fun with Battle for Westfront!
And dont worry about the UK thing. I know that and I promise to keep it in mind. ^_^

edit2: I finished Update 0.6

Patchlog:
- fully animated polish units

examples for animations:
Last edited by Ruglud on August 4th, 2013, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nerdguygaming.tumblr.com
Ruglud

Re: Battle for Westfront *0.6 released*

Post by Ruglud »

Patch v. 0.6.5 released
- added complete animations for all french units

Examples for animations:

Whats coming next?
I hope to finish patch 0.7 next week. Patch will add fully animations for the Italians and some balance changes. Furthermore I will modify some shooting animations for french and Italian units.

Nerdguygaming.tumblr.com