Extended Armies Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BomSite

Extended Armies Era

Post by BomSite »

For now, the purpose of this add-on is to extend each fraction with units they don't have in the standard era's; example, dwarves don't have a mage or healer in the standard era's, now they have in these extended era's. Basically, it are the default Wesnoth armies, but with additions, and a very small amount of edits, to keep it balanced. Also, in this add-on are additional maps for hours of gaming fun.

For every version, we will post here what we have worked on.
Below this post are chronologically the previous version release notes & bug reports.
Current version = 1.1.0 wrote: Version 1.1.0 is online.
It brings support for the full khalifate faction, and fixes some bugs.
We would like to hear if someone can find a mistake or fraction balance error,
any suggestion to improve the user-experience is welcome,
and we would appreciate if you tell us if the extended armies, like mages, healers, ... in every army are a good thing. For us, it is. :)

Many thanks for feedback!
Last edited by BomSite on March 4th, 2015, 10:16 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Bom(b)Site is the work of tree brothers: my work, his work and he has done work.

The result of that work is the Extended Armies Era: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37358
BomSite

Re: Extended Armies Era

Post by BomSite »

Released: 0.3.2
After a lot of testing at home, we feel the add-on is ready to release on the web.
Remarks for the 0.3.Xbeta, the first release:
We just found out that saved games don't load in again.
This is probably due to the use of an '&' in the units ID's, can someone confirm?
Every unit has this added in their id to distinguish them from the standard units.
This will be fixed in 0.4.X, when we review all units, based on the feedback.

Related treads with other questions to this add-on are:
Recruit pattern of computer players takes always same units: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37355
Last edited by BomSite on April 11th, 2013, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bom(b)Site is the work of tree brothers: my work, his work and he has done work.

The result of that work is the Extended Armies Era: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37358
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

This is oddly similar to (though still different from) the era I'm working on. It's slightly disappointing that you've beaten me in releasing such an era. ;)

Assuming this is your era, I'd say that from the name I expect a Naga Sharpshooter to have the Marksman ability. So, I'd recommend either adding that or changing the unit name.

EDIT:
BomSite wrote:This is probably due to the use of an '&' in the units ID's, can someone confirm?
Yes, that's probably the case. I've already experienced similar problems with hyphens ('-') and colons (':') in IDs. I'd suggest replacing it with a prefix, for example "ext_".
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
BomSite

Post by BomSite »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:It's slightly disappointing that you've beaten me in releasing such an era. ;)
Oh :? don't be disappointed, we are awaiting your add-on, and wants to see how you have done it :)
Otherwise you can have a part of our work, so you don't have to do it double.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Assuming this is your era, I'd say that from the name I expect a Naga Sharpshooter to have the Marksman ability. So, I'd recommend either adding that or changing the unit name.
That is true. We will look into this, but probably the name will change, because he has also 'poison' as ability. We absolutely don't want to create a super-unit with to much abilities, so this one is difficult.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I'd suggest replacing it with a prefix, for example "ext_".
in the upcomming 0.4.0 it is replaced with 'EAE', and it works :)
thanks

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

BomSite wrote:
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:It's slightly disappointing that you've beaten me in releasing such an era. ;)
Oh :? don't be disappointed, we are awaiting your add-on, and wants to see how you have done it :)
Otherwise you can have a part of our work, so you don't have to do it double.
Don't worry, I'll still release it soon!
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
BomSite

Post by BomSite »

Released: 0.4.0
Taken the '&' out the units ID's, to avoid invalid game saves, added new map '2p Fist Fight'
All drakes have a takeoff animation now, started working on the animations of the nagas
The add-on should principally be ready for Wesnoth 1.11

@ Celtic_Minstrel:
The Naga Sharpshooter is renamed to Naga Assassin.
With the marksman ability, it would become to strong.

BomSite

Post by BomSite »

Released: version 0.5.0
-added the units Troublemaker, pyromaniac and Arsonist to the Outlaw Horde, no animations yet.
-Bug: Thief, Rogue & Assassin were not included in the outlaw recruit list, but they did exist. Now they can be recruited.
-the Naga bowman have now animations.
-the Naga Gardian, Naga Warden, Naga Sentinel have other unit images, and defence animations.
-made the map 'Fist fight' a little larger, so the enemies dont start at your doorstep.
-other bug fixes

BomSite

Post by BomSite »

And with the information in
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=36566
the addon is now also on the 1.11 server.
Only thing that doesn't work (as far as we know) is the default map gold in the multiplayer.
We will have a look at this & more testing is on its way…

BomSite

Post by BomSite »

It has been a while in development, but:
Released: 0.6.0.
This adds a new faction: a Monster Horde, based on the monsters from the default game, but with own additions :twisted:
Also, some maps are added.

Some images still need some work, but it is already good enough to be played.
It is pretty balanced with the existing factions, but we are still working on a mage for our monster horde, as a next update.

adr3n

Post by adr3n »

this era is awesome :D cant wait for the next update :twisted:
hansondon

Post by hansondon »

This era is super cool, very well balanced.
I'm aware that 0.6.0. has been updated, but I somehow cannot see it in the add-on list(it's still 0.5.4 beta).
Maybe it's because I am playing 1.11?

And I found a bug in this version, which you probably already fixed in 0.6.0, just FYI.
When I play "Extended age of Heroes", sometimes there would be a error when I create the game with random leader, showing a message like:
game_error: unknown unit type: EAE assassinn
which I believe is a misspelling.
And if I select the assassin as the leader manually, there is no problem.
BomSite

Post by BomSite »

adr3n wrote:this era is awesome :D cant wait for the next update :twisted:
hansondon wrote:This era is super cool, very well balanced.
:D thanks!
hansondon wrote:Maybe it's because I am playing 1.11?
Yes.
There were some issues between the 1.10 version and the 1.11 version.
In the next two days we should have time to take a look to these, and then we will update the 1.11 :)
Currently we are primary working on the stable game, before the beta 1.11
hansondon wrote: (…) When I play "Extended age of Heroes", sometimes there would be a error when I create the game with random leader, showing a message like:
game_error: unknown unit type: EAE assassinn (…)
Fixed that for the next version 0.6.1, this one has escaped us :shock:
We will upload an update tonight for 1.10, and version 1.11 as soon as possible.
Thanks for the report, much appreciated!

EDIT:
Both add-ons are uploaded, the 1.10 version and the 1.11 version.
The update contains the fix for the Outlaw Horde, the Daemon had to less HP, and some fixes for maps that had a wrong ID (and so weren't playable)
The 1.11 version *should* fully work by now, but isn't extensively tested … yet.

adr3n

Post by adr3n »

will you be adding another faction or something? 8)
BomSite

Post by BomSite »

adr3n wrote:will you be adding another faction or something? 8)
The Monster Horde is just added,
there is missing some magic in that faction, that will be added next.

Currently our most important headaches are:
-update the existing add-on, with bugfixes and one new unit,
-concentrating on the missing images,
-new maps are on the line,
-a campaign has to be finished. (But this can become a separate add-on…)

We don't have any time schedule for that, as we still also have a live in reality :)

adr3n

Post by adr3n »

Is this still active? Any updates on this?