The Aragwaithi version 1.0.9 for Wesnoth 1.10 and 1.11

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.7 for Wesnoth 1.10 and 1.11

Post by taptap »

I liked almost all other changes you did, but I doubt the wisdom of this. For the L3: They do 4*12 damage (which is close to the elvish sharpshooter in damage output but better than everything else = inferno drake 8-6) or 4*9 damage (which is close to the elvish avenger), but the Aragwaithi have a significantly stronger melee than their elvish counterparts and about the same HP (and less defense). 15*3 magical damage which is in the range of other L3 mages, but the Aragwaithi has teleport and healing (but significantly less HP).

I wonder how much data you gather, whether you get 1vs1 replays so that made you decide the archer needs a buff. But even if the conclusion is they need a buff, I wouldn't introduce a completely redundant unit line "less brittle archer", which looks as a departure from the "brittle but deadly" concept. A simple less invasive buff could be to allow dexterous trait for the archer line, still brittle but even more deadly. When I look at the Aragwaithi archer I always thought of the strong secondary attacks as an indirect defence, but of course there are people more involved and skilled in balancing issues than me.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

taptap wrote:I liked almost all other changes you did, but I doubt the wisdom of this. For the L3: They do 4*12 damage (which is close to the elvish sharpshooter in damage output but better than everything else = inferno drake 8-6) or 4*9 damage (which is close to the elvish avenger), but the Aragwaithi have a significantly stronger melee than their elvish counterparts and about the same HP (and less defense). 15*3 magical damage which is in the range of other L3 mages, but the Aragwaithi has teleport and healing (but significantly less HP).

I wonder how much data you gather, whether you get 1vs1 replays so that made you decide the archer needs a buff. But even if the conclusion is they need a buff, I wouldn't introduce a completely redundant unit line "less brittle archer", which looks as a departure from the "brittle but deadly" concept. A simple less invasive buff could be to allow dexterous trait for the archer line, still brittle but even more deadly. When I look at the Aragwaithi archer I always thought of the strong secondary attacks as an indirect defence, but of course there are people more involved and skilled in balancing issues than me.
Thank you for your reply.

My thought process behind all of this is mostly personal experience.
In the matches I've played with the Aragwaithi, I felt that their archer just is outclassed by the other archers, but what you say does make sense. I guess I'll try to gather some more opinions, but as it stands now, I will not add another unit, and instead will look at how the archer does with +2 HP.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

bumbadadabum wrote:
taptap wrote:I liked almost all other changes you did, but I doubt the wisdom of this. For the L3: They do 4*12 damage (which is close to the elvish sharpshooter in damage output but better than everything else = inferno drake 8-6) or 4*9 damage (which is close to the elvish avenger), but the Aragwaithi have a significantly stronger melee than their elvish counterparts and about the same HP (and less defense). 15*3 magical damage which is in the range of other L3 mages, but the Aragwaithi has teleport and healing (but significantly less HP).

Thank you for your reply.

My thought process behind all of this is mostly personal experience.
In the matches I've played with the Aragwaithi, I felt that their archer just is outclassed by the other archers, but what you say does make sense. I guess I'll try to gather some more opinions, but as it stands now, I will not add another unit, and instead will look at how the archer does with +2 HP.
Adding +2HP to the archer, would overpower it. I have played the Aragwaith numerous times against the AI, and noticed that they could stand against almost any faction.. :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Version 1.0.8 has just been released. This version will probably be one of the last cleanup releases, fixing all the graphical and audio issues I could find, plus also beefing up the archer a bit and raising the XP for the guard.

Code: Select all

Version 1.0.8:
- Archer: +2 HP.
- Guard: +10 XP.
- More animation fixes.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Fluffbeast

Post by Fluffbeast »

It looks like the file units/human-aragwaithi/wizard-heal-2.png is missing from the latest version of the addon.
Death is not extinguishing the light; it is putting out the lamp, because dawn has come. - Rabindranath Tagore
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Fluffbeast wrote:It looks like the file units/human-aragwaithi/wizard-heal-2.png is missing from the latest version of the addon.
I guess somebody forgot to change those lines when the second frame was removed. :whistle:
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.8 for Wesnoth 1.10 and 1.11

Post by Astoria »

Version 1.0.9 has been released on the 1.10 and 1.11 add-on servers.

Code: Select all

Version 1.0.9
- Added an "Age of Heroes" era including the Aragwaithi.
- New weapon special: Precision.
Precision is marksman, but for 50%+ chance to hit. I included this on the Swordmaster's sword attack, mostly as a flavor thing. I hope you like it!
Last edited by Astoria on January 6th, 2013, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
taptap

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.9 for Wesnoth 1.10 and 1.11

Post by taptap »

I just recognized there are compatibility problems... I saw all old sprites while playing IftU when I had ageless era and settlers of light installed (don't know which one interfered).

The standing animation of the eagle rider is potentially awesome but currently isn't smooth and interferes with some terrain graphics. Especially the transitions of wooden castle or forest (seen in Arrival of the Batallion in IftU).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.9 for Wesnoth 1.10 and 1.11

Post by Astoria »

taptap wrote:Did you somehow forgot to update some unit sprites? In the art thread there were new sprites for some units but they are not in the era. Afair this happened to flagbearer, captain, shield guard and guardian, longswordsman and swordmaster and the levelled horses. Did you miss it or is it some compatibility problem in my Wesnoth due to any era or so?

When I look into the help or recall lists many more units use old sprites (esp. obvious is the eagle master which changed a lot). I don't know whether this is due to a mistake in IftU or a problem in the era (I suppose Espreon took it from the era).
There are some add-ons that use the same image paths as this one, and may cause the game to use those sprites instead of the correct ones. Try removing all other add-ons that use the Aragwaithi and tell me if it's better.
The standing animation of the eagle rider is potentially awesome but currently isn't smooth and interferes with some terrain graphics e.g. transitions of wooden castle or forest (seen in Arrival of the Batallion in IftU).
AFAIK, there isn't much I can do about that.

EDIT:
I just recognized there are compatibility problems... I saw all old sprites while playing IftU when I had ageless era and settlers of light installed (don't know which one interfered).
IIRC, both use an outdated version with the same imagepaths, so both could cause the interference. Remove them both, then try again.