Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - now on GitHub!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sagez

Re: XVII Century Project : Eastern Europe at War (EEaW)

Post by Sagez »

I'm glad you like it. I see that Habsburg Austria is many players favourite faction, nice! It was added as the last faction; good to see that it was worth it. Well fitting end.
If you're interested in playing EEaW with other people you can always find players on wesnoth.com.pl, it's a polish site but the majority of us speak english :)

Several days ago we released a secret-hidden version 1.7 without announcing it, thinking: who cares? But we were probably lazy and wrong, so here it is:

1.7 changelog (mostly tweaks, bugfixes):
- new ability for guns - fire from castles
- EEaW maps have been upgraded so the strongholds are bigger
- polish hetman attack fixed
- Kosynier was nerfed to 13-2 attack without ambush
- austrian husar no longer has the good armor he had (he's in uniform not in armor)
- guns can now climb hills easier and thus we made fire from the hills more useful
- russian recruit line attack remade
- winged hussar has 45 hp now
- better descriptions for the complex fear ability
- swedish siege cannon needs more xp to level up
- Janissary Aga and Dey have been totally remade
- Dey has a new economical ability that makes him generate 2 gold per turn and it became a mounted unit
- Fanatic has been buffed, so now it's actually useful

and some minor changes. Please give us feedback if you can; you can also propose new, historical units if we don't have them already. We may add them in the future.
And there are also some rumours about possible EEaW campaign being made and you know what? I don't deny that.

MAKE WESNOTH GREAT AGAIN!
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
Transfermium

Re: XVII Century Project : Eastern Europe at War (EEaW)

Post by Transfermium »

Sagez wrote:I'm glad you like it. I see that Habsburg Austria is many players favourite faction, nice! It was added as the last faction; good to see that it was worth it. Well fitting end.
If you're interested in playing EEaW with other people you can always find players on wesnoth.com.pl, it's a polish site but the majority of us speak english :)

Several days ago we released a secret-hidden version 1.7 without announcing it, thinking: who cares? But we were probably lazy and wrong, so here it is:

1.7 changelog (mostly tweaks, bugfixes):
- new ability for guns - fire from castles
- EEaW maps have been upgraded so the strongholds are bigger
- polish hetman attack fixed
- Kosynier was nerfed to 13-2 attack without ambush
- austrian husar no longer has the good armor he had (he's in uniform not in armor)
- guns can now climb hills easier and thus we made fire from the hills more useful
- russian recruit line attack remade
- winged hussar has 45 hp now
- better descriptions for the complex fear ability
- swedish siege cannon needs more xp to level up
- Janissary Aga and Dey have been totally remade
- Dey has a new economical ability that makes him generate 2 gold per turn and it became a mounted unit
- Fanatic has been buffed, so now it's actually useful

and some minor changes. Please give us feedback if you can; you can also propose new, historical units if we don't have them already. We may add them in the future.
And there are also some rumours about possible EEaW campaign being made and you know what? I don't deny that.

MAKE WESNOTH GREAT AGAIN!
Perhaps the Dey buff can be applied to Sanjakbeys as well? They were administrative officers as well...
And if the Habsburgs get a cheap unit, I'd like to nominate the Hajdúk, who seem to be irregular soldiers in Hungary during the early 17th century (Crimean trash units would peobably just be a lv. 0 slave).
I have not brought you freedom, I found it here among you.
-Gjergj Kastrioti Skanderbeg
Sagez

Re: Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - 1.7 is now OUT!

Post by Sagez »

Interesting ideas. Could you please sent me more info about Habsbug hajduks? I don't wan't to mistake them with other hajduks. You can of course propose stats et caetera.
Good point with Sanjakbeys, but I can't think of anything good at the moment. I don't want to give him the same ability - any ideas?
Thanks!
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
Transfermium

Post by Transfermium »

Sagez wrote:Interesting ideas. Could you please sent me more info about Habsbug hajduks? I don't wan't to mistake them with other hajduks. You can of course propose stats et caetera.
Good point with Sanjakbeys, but I can't think of anything good at the moment. I don't want to give him the same ability - any ideas?
Thanks!
There seems to be not much about the Hungarian Hajduks, most of what I can find are from old forum posts from random sites, my memory of a book I read ages ago, or Wikipedia (only that much?).
From what I can tell, they were cattle herders and drovers who got turned into irregular soldiers by a religious revolution in Hungary led by one István Bocskai, who promised emancipation and no Habsburg forced-conversion. After the war, they turned into a landed 'warrior estate' with special rights.
Perhaps a type of peasant with cow (normal hajduk) (albeit pricey one, perhaps similar to Swedish one, but with blade/impact instead of pierce? Whip and dagger?) which upgrades to either shooter or a nobleman ('royal' hajduks). Perhaps add a step in batween Hajduks and royal hajduk (free hajduks?).
For the campaign, I'd like to see that P-L vs Cossacks scene in With Fire and sword :D

Edit: Perhaps make Hajduk line neutral, since they were Protestant compared to the Catholic Austrians...

Edit Edit: horse Arty hit-and-run movement needs to be nerfed. Playing with the expendable leaders mod in a survival game, I could have 11/8 MP on my Lv 2. Horse Arty.

Edit edit edit: I feel Crimea is still Underpowered. No guns, no trash, and no hit and run, even though it's their main tactic.

Edit Edit Edit Edit (it's a lot of edits, no?): Swedish peasant also seems a little OP. Perhaps raise to 11 gold or decrease attack a bit?
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

We're now working on improving naval combat, making it more fun and just. Is there any era in wesnoth which has a decent naval combat? I'm seriously asking because I don't think so.
We'll see about hajduks, they could become level 0 unit. Maybe maybe. About your other edits:

Horse artillery will stay as it is, it got nerfed recently (it needs more xp to advance) and is quite fragile (30 hp is very low in EEaW). We don't balance EEaW for mods that you use, we balance it for normal multiplayer games. I don't even recognize this expendable leaders mod... We won't be adjusting EEaW to some mod if that's what you ask. Its cool that people play EEaW with some mods though. Have fun - but I recommend playing EEaW without any mods.

Tatars are devastating during night, try assaulting your enemy with tatar bowmen... but you have to be VERY careful during the day. I'm just trying to say that playing as Tatars is harder than playing other factions - you can't attack whenever you want like when youre playing Sweden - but if Tatars are properly used, they just cut through anyone. They have the best bowmen and they can slow their enemies with lariats (rope, lasso, arkan whatever). They don't have firearms nor guns and that's historical, it stays that way. If more people will complain we might consider giving them a buff, but you''re the first ever! Playing them is just harder, they are special.
It's awesome that they don't have guns, it makes them more cool. They were fine with bows. Bows were still deadly then.

Swedish peasant got nerfed a long time ago and no one has complained either. Hmm, they got crappy resistance and weak 40% covers. I've played a game against Sweden recently and they go down quickly.

Keep you fingers crossed for our new naval combat :twisted:
Transfermium

Post by Transfermium »

Sagez wrote:We're now working on improving naval combat, making it more fun and just. Is there any era in wesnoth which has a decent naval combat? I'm seriously asking because I don't think so.
We'll see about hajduks, they could become level 0 unit. Maybe maybe. About your other edits:

Horse artillery will stay as it is, it got nerfed recently (it needs more xp to advance) and is quite fragile (30 hp is very low in EEaW). We don't balance EEaW for mods that you use, we balance it for normal multiplayer games. I don't even recognize this expendable leaders mod... We won't be adjusting EEaW to some mod if that's what you ask. Its cool that people play EEaW with some mods though. Have fun - but I recommend playing EEaW without any mods.

Tatars are devastating during night, try assaulting your enemy with tatar bowmen... but you have to be VERY careful during the day. I'm just trying to say that playing as Tatars is harder than playing other factions - you can't attack whenever you want like when youre playing Sweden - but if Tatars are properly used, they just cut through anyone. They have the best bowmen and they can slow their enemies with lariats (rope, lasso, arkan whatever). They don't have firearms nor guns and that's historical, it stays that way. If more people will complain we might consider giving them a buff, but you''re the first ever! Playing them is just harder, they are special.
It's awesome that they don't have guns, it makes them more cool. They were fine with bows. Bows were still deadly then.

Swedish peasant got nerfed a long time ago and no one has complained either. Hmm, they got crappy resistance and weak 40% covers. I've played a game against Sweden recently and they go down quickly.

Keep you fingers crossed for our new naval combat :twisted:
About the mods, the ranged attack one was probably the most satisfying XD
Can't wait to see the new naval combat!
franz_mp

Post by franz_mp »

Water Era has the best sea battle, soon will be released the new version.
Water Age version 1.8.8,2 BfW 1.13.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Mhm, but as far as I can see it's a fantasy era with units like mermaids and other stuff. Not interested. Bring your lame advertising somewhere else, I don't write about EEaW in topics about other eras.
Transfermium

Post by Transfermium »

So... is the naval improvement just new ships or better attack/def/stuff overall?
franz_mp wrote:Water Era has the best sea battle, soon will be released the new version.
Also, Water era is not going to be really useful in the map (at least for Russia, where it's the only starting nation not next to a river or sea), so not much point commenting.

On another side note, I've been working on a map of the Battle of Breitenfield (30 years war, Swede-Saxons vs. Austrians, Swedes won) for fun, but it's either unbalanced or unhistoric. Any tips?

Edit:
Nevermind.
I'll place my Crimea map in this post instead as a workaround.
Attachments
Crimea_Invasion.map
(4.54 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Last edited by Transfermium on September 13th, 2016, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

It will be released soon, maybe even tomorrow, so you'll see. But no, we won't introduce new ships, that would not fix naval combat. We will simply add abilities, change old attacks and add new attacks! Oh yes, it will be good and now each faction should at least have a chance to win a sea battle (but of course Sweden is still the best as it should be, Turkey is also pretty decent, Cossacks have fast chaikas... ok enough).
So we've basically reworked a lot of stuff, but I don't want to spoil it.

Right now I cannot help, but this idea reminds me of ,,EEaW Great Battle'' project that was once alive on wesnoth.com.pl, people were recreating the battle of Vienna 1683. They didn't finish it, so it's available only for polish fans at the moment. Idea was good, but the battle itself is very hard to recreate in wesnoth - a lot of units is never a good thing and game starts lagging. Sad!
But I wish you all the best! Maybe we could add it to EEaW later? EEaW needs maps!
Transfermium

Post by Transfermium »

Sagez wrote:It will be released soon, maybe even tomorrow, so you'll see. But no, we won't introduce new ships, that would not fix naval combat. We will simply add abilities, change old attacks and add new attacks! Oh yes, it will be good and now each faction should at least have a chance to win a sea battle (but of course Sweden is still the best as it should be, Turkey is also pretty decent, Cossacks have fast chaikas... ok enough).
So we've basically reworked a lot of stuff, but I don't want to spoil it.

Right now I cannot help, but this idea reminds me of ,,EEaW Great Battle'' project that was once alive on wesnoth.com.pl, people were recreating the battle of Vienna 1683. They didn't finish it, so it's available only for polish fans at the moment. Idea was good, but the battle itself is very hard to recreate in wesnoth - a lot of units is never a good thing and game starts lagging. Sad!
But I wish you all the best! Maybe we could add it to EEaW later? EEaW needs maps!
Here is the first map and a Austrian Mirror match (all sde played by me) replay. I'm not the best player (not having touching the multiplayer lobby in my life and mainly playing mainline campaigns or against AI), but this should do.
User_Map_replay.gz
My replay
(23.32 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Balanced_Breitenfeld.map
The Map
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Edit: Added roads.
Balanced_Breitenfeld.map
Added roads
(4.89 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Edit edit: Making a map of the battle of Lepanto for the new water buffs :)
Edit Edit Edit:
Finished Lepanto Map
Lepanto.map
(4.79 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Edit Edit Edit Edit:
Has a 'defence of Moscow' map been done before? I don't think so.
Defence of Moscow.map
(4.81 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
More edit:
Crimea.
But I have to place it in another post, and I don't double post.
Nevermind, I placed it in my previous post.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Wow, that's impressive, but today I'm leaving and I can look at your maps tomorrow. I hope that those maps aren't hurried. I don't know if they are symmetrical - would be good if they would be at least partially symmetrical.
I'm fine with Breitenfeld and Lepanto even if Breitenfeld is in Germany (so not really eastern european theatre) and Lepanto took place in 16th century (and EEaW is about 17th) ;) Cool.

Battle of Oliwa map would be good for naval battles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Oliwa (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... a_1627.png)

More interesting battles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kircholm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Klushino
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Berestechko
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khotyn_(1673)

Each one of those battles is interesting because of different reasons, at least in my opinion - and worth knowing!
Transfermium

Post by Transfermium »

Sagez wrote:Wow, that's impressive, but today I'm leaving and I can look at your maps tomorrow. I hope that those maps aren't hurried. I don't know if they are symmetrical - would be good if they would be at least partially symmetrical.
I'm fine with Breitenfeld and Lepanto even if Breitenfeld is in Germany (so not really eastern european theatre) and Lepanto took place in 16th century (and EEaW is about 17th) ;) Cool.

Battle of Oliwa map would be good for naval battles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Oliwa (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... a_1627.png)

More interesting battles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kircholm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Klushino
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Berestechko
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khotyn_(1673)

Each one of those battles is interesting because of different reasons, at least in my opinion - and worth knowing!
Thanks!
I included Breitenfield because it was a War between the Swedes and Habsburgs, and Lepanto because of the same type of reason[Ottos vs Austrians] (and also because not so many famous naval battles in Europe that are more famous than it)
None of the maps are symetrical, but all are close to the real map. I could tweak Fraustadt or some other map into symmetrical if you want.
Edit: A pic of the Crimea map:
and the battle of Berestechko (in progress).
Edit Edit: FInished Berestechko, probably use this map as a scenario since it's so unbalanced.
Attachments
Berestechko.map
(5.08 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Looking good! My favourite is Crimea, but this is still in progress? I would add more deep water I think.
I like Lepanto and Breitenfeld, we will probably add these maps to EEaW - congrats, you're now EEaW contributor! :D
Moscow defense could be good for campaign. Berestechko look fine but those camps are way to close to each other. Maybe it should simulate a gory battle, but still I would move them away.
Are you going to make more maps in the future?
Next version will maybe come out on Friday.
Transfermium

Post by Transfermium »

Sagez wrote:Looking good! My favourite is Crimea, but this is still in progress? I would add more deep water I think.
I like Lepanto and Breitenfeld, we will probably add these maps to EEaW - congrats, you're now EEaW contributor! :D
Moscow defense could be good for campaign. Berestechko look fine but those camps are way to close to each other. Maybe it should simulate a gory battle, but still I would move them away.
Are you going to make more maps in the future?
Next version will maybe come out on Friday.
Yes. I might make the Battle of Fraustadt today.
IMO, Moscow and Berestechko (especially Berestechko) should be scenario maps.
Moscow would be to defend for X amount of turns, and Berestechko would be to fight your way out of the map (like the actual battle) as the Cossacks or Crimeans.
Edit: Fraustadt.
Edit: Also revised Crimea.

Edit 3: I had a bit of an idea about a small campaign about Crimeans.
1. Khan of Crimea: Unite Crimea under your name. (Map of Crimea, you have to conquer everything (mostly Rebels and Theodoro)except for Genoa [Austrians] in lower right)[br]2. The Uniter of the steppes: Bring the Nogai under your Suzerainty. (Start in West of map, defeat Nogai and Golden Horde Remnants)[br]3. Belgorod Line: defeat the Russians and cross the Belgorod Line... But is there a chance you can turn West? (Start in South, either defeat Russians or defeat Polish)[br]The campaign splits up depending on who you defeat; the Polish side give you a realistic account, the Russians a fantasy one.[br]4a (Russian side): Siege of Moscow: Rule over the Russians, like your ancestors did before you. (Moscow map)[br]5a. Fury of the Horde: Crush the Polish under your mighty hooves. (Defeat Polish and Austrians are defeatable for a bonus amount of gold)[br]6a. Overlord of Europe: It is time to achieve what even the Golden Horde never did: rule over Europe. (Start in Moscow, conquer Sweden, Poland, Austria, and Ottomans in the corner)[br]4b. (Polish side): Raid into Poland: (insert some comments about Crimea slave trade) (start with Slavers only, and can only recruit Slavers and Tatar riders; have to take all Polish Villages to win)[br]5b: Defence of Perekop: The Russian forces are defeating us. But with our new Ally's, we shall repulse them! (First start with Russians vs Cossacks and you; after 5 turns, Polish and Austrians come, and you have to escape)[br]6b. The Last Stand: The Horde shall never fall! (Defend for 50 turns against never-ending Polish, Russian, and Austrian recruits, with only ally being Ottoman in Sevastopol)
Attachments
Revised_Crimea_Invasion.map
(5.48 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Fraustadt.map
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 304 times