Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - now on GitHub!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Re: XVII Century Project : Eastern Europe at War (EEaW)

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Historically, the Crimean Tatars were heavily involved in the slave trade. This gives me an idea for a possible new unit for them.

Maybe they should have a slaver, that either (a) has a plague attack that turns defeated enemy units into level 0 slaves or (b) has a special ability that temporarily establishes a slave market in any village it occupies, thus causing it to produce +1 income for as long as he remains there.
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

EEaW Eastern Europe maps can't be used again. :(
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Okay guys, thank you all very, very much, we will fix all problems but it will take some time. Maybe day or two, maybe even a week. Take care.
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Faello wrote:I like the unit art (they're nice even without animations) and setting is interesting, altough I can't say anything about the balance yet. This add on demands some serious amount of time to spend on it to get to know it well.
Yeah the art looks really nicely done.
MattDakka wrote:This thing is possible to code, in 18th century era the Leaders turn to a ship when they have to cross the water, then they turn back to Leaders when on land again.
This would make ships useful only in water, like they should be, and they should be protected while travelling across the land (this would add depth to the strategies). A thing I don't like of ships is that, even if they are very vulnerable on land, they still can fire with the cannons, and this is bad.
Well that's actually a trick, they don't turn into a ship, they just have a flying animation that looks like a ship when they are on a water hex, then I just gave both Leaders just have the same defense on water as ships :P.

The only problem with that method is that units can't have attacks(coz I'm picky on details) because their battle animations will be sorta "buggy", they will turn back into their land form while fighting in the middle of the sea... and that looks odd.

And honestly I never really had a problems with ships only being able to be used on water tiles, lands battles are lands battles after all.

You should consider making a campaign for this, that would make the addon more attractive, and it would help people from outside eastern europe to understand what it's all about. :eng:
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Playing Austrians I noticed some things:
1) Austrian Pikeman should have first strike OR 2 weaker attacks than now with the pike OR they should be cheaper, in my opinion, to be really useful against cavalry.
2) Austrians suffer the lack of cheap level 0 units, against Russians in big 1 v 1 maps they simply can't keep the pace and lose.
3) Austrian artillery is strong but too slow to be useful when attacking in big 1 v 1 maps. What about a small caliber horse artillery?
4) Austrian cavalry is good, but when you need to attack villages defended by infantry units with pierce attacks they tend to fail badly. This is the reason for they need some fast ranged units.
oxotnik

Post by oxotnik »

Hello.
It is possible to exchange with you? The artillery, 4 guns from your era is necessary to me. I can make for you 4 horse fighters whom I will not use.
I too do an era on the historical period
The European wars 1550-1650. Therefore I do not want that we had identical units. To your guns I will make the gunners.

I ask applications that I write to online the translator.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

EEaW version 1.5 is now available on both servers. Maps should be working from now... A few changes (balancing/bugs) were made. Traditional release celebrating song for today -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0TrFU4zc_I

@ Temuchin Khan
We will think about it, thanks : )

@ PapaSmurf
Thank you for these kind words. We are planning campaigns for the EEaW, but as I'm expecting, our first campaign will be probably finished in a year or two. So maybe EEaW fans should play GTA or JFK:Reloaded instead, lol! 8) Waiting is... lame/ uninteresting/ dull. Real life is engaging.

@ Matt Daka
Erm, you are always playing Austrians, don't you? They are not bad!
1) They are cheap, so what's the problem? Cheap= precarious. If you want quality, choose Swedes.
2) It will stay as it is. As my proverb goes: ''We are against unification of the nations''. Try different tactics/ remove snow.
3) Do not expect it soon... maybe one day... it will take some time before it happens...
4) The cavalry was made especially to fail when attacking infantry in villages. In general, entrenched infantry rulz :twisted: . It's realistic and normal, if you want to pwn everything with cavalry (impossible when playing Austrians) you should take another nation. Austrians do not need ranged cavalry.

@ oxotnik
Yeah, it's possible. Take them. I will send you a PM because we need art for the new cavalry unit line.
The European wars 1550-1650? That's a cool idea, br0! :D :shock: My best wishes (everybody knows that fantasy setting is immature and boring :lol2: ).
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Sagez wrote: @ Matt Daka
Erm, you are always playing Austrians, don't you? They are not bad!
1) They are cheap, so what's the problem? Cheap= precarious. If you want quality, choose Swedes.
2) It will stay as it is. As my proverb goes: ''We are against unification of the nations''. Try different tactics/ remove snow.
3) Do not expect it soon... maybe one day... it will take some time before it happens...
4) The cavalry was made especially to fail when attacking infantry in villages. In general, entrenched infantry rulz :twisted: . It's realistic and normal, if you want to pwn everything with cavalry (impossible when playing Austrians) you should take another nation. Austrians do not need ranged cavalry.
Thanks for the new EEaW release! :D
Yes, I usually play them, I like their artillery and about all their units. I tried all the other factions, by the way.
1) They are cheap but slow and not so useful against cavalry because they don't have first strike, if you don't trust me, play some games and you'll see what I mean.
I don't like Swedes and I think they are a slow faction, with problems in map capping. I don't think that play another faction is a good answer, all factions should be playable, in a reasonable way (i.e. using the right units at the right place at the right moment).
2) I didn't play on snow terrain, it was the star fall lake map, for the record, and I played against a friend of mine using Russians for the first time.
3) Nice news to read! :D I will wait eagerly them!
4) I know that the cavalry is weaker than infantry when attacking it in villages, but I must say that Austrians rely on cavalry to capture fast the villages all over the map when the map is big; the other units strong against entrenched infantry (artillery and other infantry) are too slow to attack the villages before the russians hoard a lot of cheap troops. Time is the key when capturing the villages on a map.
I don't want to pwn everything with cavalry with Austrians, I simply would like to have a sort of decent option to attack fast infantry in villages, shooters and pikemen are too slow, grenzers are not so cheap, the only option left is artillery, which is slow.
Austrians are not the most powerful faction in EEaW, in my opinion, I use them because I have fun when playing, not because I want to steamroll everything with cavalry (they don't have the strongest cavalry, as you said).
Their infantry is so-so, their artillery is great.
When I play I tend to avoid to recruit pikemen, they are not versatile nor they are cavalry killers, because they lack first strike.
This is the problem, in my humble opinion.
You are the boss and you have the last word, but I simply wanted to give some feedback.
You are free of ignoring it at all. :)
I'm not here to criticize your amazing era, just trying to improve it, I keep on playing it.
oxotnik

Post by oxotnik »

Sagez
Ок, thanks. I will wait PM.
I always draw from a picture from the book or the Internet.
Let's soon lay out on this forum the era.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Sagez wrote:@ Temuchin Khan
We will think about it, thanks : )
Great!

As for Matt Dakka's comments on the Austrians, I agree with some of his points. Like him, I enjoy playing the Austrians, and I'm not trying to alter them too much, I just think some tweaks would be good. As for your criticisms of his points, here are my observations:
They are precarious. But are they too precarious? Giving them first strike and/or an attack with less damage but more chances to hit would not make them less precarious (their hit points, resistances, and defense do that), but only make them more useful. On the other hand, I don't think they should be any cheaper.
I too am against unification of the nations. It must never happen. However, I don't think tweaking one or two Austrian units would have that result, if it were done correctly. Giving the Austrian recruit first strike, for example, will only make him similar to other pikemen in one significant way. He still deals far less damage than the Swedish one.

Also, Sweden should still have more powerful infantry than Austria. This is a realistic reflection of the fact that Sweden did have such a high quality army at that time compared to other European states, and did beat back Austria when it looked like she would win the Thirty Years War.
That may be true, and the introduction of a light caliber horse artillery might be enough to solve that problem that led Matt Dakka to suggest the changes to the Austrian cavalry in the first place.

On the other hand, maybe Matt Dakka's request for a fast Austrian ranged unit could be fulfilled by giving them a fast, ranged light infantry unit with good defenses. Something like the mainline footpad. Something to think about.

EDIT: I made several edits to this post to correct grammatical errors and to clarify my points
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Also, I downloaded the latest version today, and it had a bug. I think it said the problem was with the Mehterane music.
fatquack

Post by fatquack »

Since 1.4.1 EEaW does not show up in my era dropdown in the MP menu. It is listed in the installed add-ons in the 'remove add-ons' menu. Using 1.8.5 and tried it with a clean, empty profile too with no other add-ons installed. It just doesn't show up.
The files are there and the units show up in the units lists. I tried loading a svaed file and that worked fine.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Also, I downloaded the latest version today, and it had a bug. I think it said the problem was with the Mehterane music.
Check the Mehterane Commander, too. I had the same bug with that unit.
oxotnik

Post by oxotnik »

At us the Finnish tires too name Hakkapeliittas (Nokian).
Here that has turned out.
Attachments
XK3.png
XK3.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
XK1.png
XK1.png (2.89 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
XK2.png
XK2.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
iBaLkiD

Post by iBaLkiD »

Amazing :shock: . Very much appreciate the hard work. Had tons of fun trying this out in SP but i am dying to get a game going with some others.

Thanks again!