Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - now on GitHub!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sagez

Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - now on GitHub!

Post by Sagez »

XVII Century Project : Eastern Europe at War (EEaW)

Hello everybody,

I feel honoured to introduce a new add-on to the wesnoth.org community, on behalf of the EEaW team, coming from the Polish BfW fansite - wesnoth.com.pl
We have been working on it since September 2009. Many committed people were engaged in the labour-intensive process of its development and now all of them are deservedly listed in our credits.
Our goal was to create a completely new, absorbing add-on with a lot of original units and ideas in it. "But, what is really innovative in your concept?" - some of you may ask.
There is absolutely no fantasy in it! - is our answer.
This historical era contains 7 states from the past: Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Cossack Hetmanate, Kingdom of Sweden, Ottoman Empire, Crimean Khanate, Tsardom of Russia and Habsburg Monarchy (Austria). You can lead them to victory.

Factions overview:

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - Versatile faction with powerful cavalry. Their infantry usually performs a support role, like artillery does. Amazing Polish hussars, if only properly used, are able to win almost every battle. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth is a lawful nation.

Cossack Hetmanate - Offensive and chaotic faction that has a very good infantry, dangerous armoured wagons and fast warships called chaikas. Cossacks have almost no artillery and their cavalry is small in numbers and weak.

Kingdom of Sweden - Sweden is a neutral faction with expensive and powerful units. They have modern infantry, heavy reiters, deadly cannons and also the best warships. High quality of Swedish armies makes them good both in attack and defence.

Crimean Khanate - The most offensive of all factions, chaotic side of the conflict. They have fast units, especially cavalry, which are deadly in the night. They're great for their hit & run strategy, and also many different unconventional tricks. They have no cannons nor firearms.

Ottoman Empire - Lawful nation based on properly interplay of different parts of their army. Turks have many types of infantry, both light and heavy cavalry, cannons and good warships. Their units are relatively cheap and can easily overwhelm enemy forces.

Tsardom of Russia - Neutral faction including both cheap and expensive units. Russians are able to win thanks to their numerous advantage and resistance to unfavourable, winter circumstances. Their armies are cheered to fight by heavy armoured boyars and orthodox priests.

Habsburg Monarchy - The last, lawful nation. Units of Habsburg country may look like the Swedish armies, but they're cheaper and less armoured. Relatively fragile soldiers can always count for support of powerful artillery, officers and medics. They have unique mortars, howitzers and organ guns.

Brandenburg-Prussia - This lawful nation is based on strict discipline and excellent organisation. Prussian main strenght is infantry that can fight in powerful formations and walk long, exhausting marches in order to achieve victory. Tactical thought is required to succeed, because Prussians are trained to fight in big, open plain battles, not for unconventional warfare.

This era has some new and unconventional abilities, such as "fire from hills" which provides 60% accuracy when attacking for all of the cannons if they are standing on a hill. Generally, we tried to get as much "realism" as possible. It partially succeeded - for example, Russian units fight better on snow than Turkish ones, but Turks can easily defeat other nations on sand.
Probably most of you do not know anything about the European wars of the seventeenth century (no, this is not the era of Napoleonic wars! Napoleon lived 200 years later), but it does not matter. Our aim is to entertain, not to teach history, although we will be glad if some of you will become interested in these times.

EEaW currently has no animations because it is still developed. It is possible that in the future we will add new units, abilities and other things. Maybe one day we will even make some historical campaigns for our add-on as well.

Your comments & feedback are always highly appreciated.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Sagez on August 13th, 2022, 10:17 am, edited 25 times in total.
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
Shinobody

Re: XVII Century Project : Eastern Europe at War (EEaW)

Post by Shinobody »

Awesomness.
It is nice to see something set in XVIII century, but featuring real factions of the time.
Minor nitpick:
Ten husarz... Coś jest z nim definitywnie nie tak. Hełm wygląda dziwnie, takoż skrzydła... Oh, well.
(This winged hussar... Something's off with him. Helmet looks weird, so are wings. <Untranslatable :wink: >)
BTW: Damn, there IS polish Wesnoth fansite? And active one? :hmm: Must check it out.
As for correctness: I hope noone will be offended by portrayal of their nation in this mod... From what you presented they all look quite badass.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Hello.

I am afraid that EEaW has some problems that are preventing it from being translatable.

First, you didn't declare a textdomain. In your _main.cfg, include this code right below the first line:

Code: Select all

[textdomain]
    name="wesnoth-EEaW"
    path="data/add-ons/EEaW/translations"
[/textdomain]
Note that it's best to just have the addon's directory name be verbose so that there won't be any conflicts. If you do decide to make it verbose, I'd rename it to "Eastern_Europe_at_War". If this is to be done, you must change your textdomain to "wesnoth-Eastern_Europe_at_War".

Second, your textdomain (which is currently "wesnoth-eeaw") must match the addon's directory name, thus it should be "wesnoth-EEaW". So, you'll have to update all of your bindings. Remember, if you decide to rename your directory, the bindings much match the textdomain's name.

Third, you don't have a "translations" directory; make one in the root of your addon's directory.

Fourth, one of your files has a space in them; spaces in filenames don't play nicely with Unix-like operating systems... and the space in that file ("eng_ europa_9g_v8.cfg") is preventing wmlxgettext from entering it.

Fifth, some of your files that have translatable strings don't have textdomain bindings. You have some binding-less files in your "factions" directory, but you may have more.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Espreon wrote:I am afraid that EEaW has some problems that are preventing it from being translatable.
Thank you for reporting this. We completely forgot about those necessary changes. We will release a new version soon. :)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

@ Shinobody, Espreon - thanks for your comments!
As for hussar, we will probably improve his appearance soon. We are going to to improve other units' graphics as well.
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

EEaW 1.0.1 went to both the BfW 1.8 and 1.9 server.

Hope there won't be any problems with translatability now. :)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Awesome! First Mount & Blade, now Wesnoth... soon every nation will know about our war with Sweden, Turks, Russia, Mongols and whatnot :lol2:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

inferno8 wrote: Hope there won't be any problems with translatability now. :)
Yup, the problems are gone now.
Chefu

Post by Chefu »

First of all, this is an awsome project guys! 8)

Here a couple behaviours that were unexpected and may be bugs:

- The hospital tents (or whatever they are called) don't cure poison
- The "Pike" ability guarantee's at least 40% CTH (similar to marksman). The description seemed to say that the attacks should always have exactly 40% CTH.
Current maintainer of the Orbivm project (as of February 2011)
Orbivm Forums
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Brilliant project... thumbs up from me.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Madlok

Post by Madlok »

In this era leader may have 5, 6, 7 or 8 move points. Because of this I think it will not be worth to choose random factions and leaders.
Quick bats are quick.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

Wow, this is very impressive. Congratulations, and thank you.
vul6

Post by vul6 »

I'm really happy seeing this project in version over 1.0 :) When I came up with conception of historical era and Sagez with inferno8 (and rest of polish fans from wesnoth.com.pl) give me a support to this idea, I did not expect that someday will succeed. Now I can thank them for the enormity of work involved, and invite others to play :)
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

EEaW 1.1 is now available on both the BfW 1.8 and 1.9 servers.

Changelog:
- new list of leaders;
- field hospitals cure poison;
- removed the 'pike' ability;
- Akinji & Musketeer: cost reduced to 16;
- additional melee strike for the Shooter of Moscow and Colonel Shooter;
- fixed buggy 'fearless' trait for Chaikas
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Finally! My dream come true! An entire era closely based around a real-world historical conflict. I'll have to keep an eye on this. 8)

You... are... awesome. :cry: :D Thank you.

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!