Tribes of the North era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chtomorc

Re: Tribes of the North era factions

Post by Chtomorc »

I released a new beta version ( 0.3 ).

I have give the mages branch a new ability to replace cure : ice warden. It's an aura witch raise blade, pierce and cold resistances of nearby allies by 20, up to 50, only actives on defense. With this change, priest of Val'hal had lost his ability to heal, but it's now the only mage with the cure ability. Maybe he need a best attack now...

I have an idea for the orc faction. They will only have few base unit (a melee, a scout and a ranged unit I think), but they won't have default traits. To replace them, they'll have a lot's of different traits witch will modify their attack number, resistance, defense, movement, hit points and attack type...

I hope to show you my first try on sunday or monsday...
My writing frightens you? Consider you happy not to hear me :p
Tribes of the North MP era : factions developpement and unit's sprites
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Need an 8 movement scout.

About lurker, it's kinda weak lets compare to naga fighter for example.
Naga does 16 damage, lurker 20, but swarm severely weakens it.
Naga has 33 HP, lurker 35.
Same movement.
Naga costs 14 gold, lurker 17.
Naga has traits, lurker doesn't.
Only thing lurker has is submerge.
Could do a buff depending how much you value surmerge.

Edit: Barbarian leaders sprite isn't really saying "I can lead my troops in battle" but I guess that's nitpicky.
Last edited by Colouredbox on June 24th, 2011, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Chtomorc

Post by Chtomorc »

Thanks for comments :)

Lurker was made only to have a sea unit, I don't give it a lot of consideration... If it need a buff, it will be by HP up and Gold cost down I think.

For the scout, I want to make the Northmen differents of others factions, in a way that they are a slow and crush everything in their way... Maybe I'll have to raise the MP of the rhino rider but keep the advanced unit as they are.... Or make a totally new unit with high movement, but I don't want a flying unit, and have no idea for that now...
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Chtomorc wrote:Thanks for comments :)

Lurker was made only to have a sea unit, I don't give it a lot of consideration... If it need a buff, it will be by HP up and Gold cost down I think.

For the scout, I want to make the Northmen differents of others factions, in a way that they are a slow and crush everything in their way... Maybe I'll have to raise the MP of the rhino rider but keep the advanced unit as they are.... Or make a totally new unit with high movement, but I don't want a flying unit, and have no idea for that now...
Okay. :)

If you are going to make an 8 movement scout I would suggest something in the way of a timber wolf, arctic fox, shagal or some kind of scavenger.
edit: catamount could be interesting too.
Chtomorc

Post by Chtomorc »

Hum, maybe a wild animal as a scout will make a land counterpart to the lurker... A snow panther or an arctic wolf should be the best choice I think (to fit the barbarian way of life... I'll have to make an explanation for that though).

About faction developpement, I had release and start playtesting for the Orcish plunderers. They are a small group of orcs who flee to the North and are not well organised yet. So their units are all differents because they got their weaponry and armours from plundering.

In game, it is translate with a few generic base units : light (assassin), medium (grunt) and heavy infantry, a cavalry and a ranged unit. They don't use the global traits, but are applied 2 of 10 by my own :
  • # Sharp : reduce damage and up attack number, decrease hitpoints
    # Mighty : up damage (a lot) and HP (a bit)
    # Fire Bearer : up damage and set attack type to fire
    # Poisoner : lower damage but give special weapon Poison
    # Armoured : raise physical resistance and -1 move
    # Sturdy : up hitpoints and defense in castle and village
    # Mystic : up fire and cold resistance, lower arcane resistance and xp for lvl up
    # Runner : +1 move and decrease movement cost
    # Swimmer : +1 move and allow movement in deep water (little hp pgrade to make it more appealing)
    # Dodger : increase defense on most terrain, decrease HP
They'll need a lot of tuning in order to balance them, but the high randomness of the faction make them fun to play (at least to me :P)

Feel free to give advices / suggestions for them !
Attachments
Here came the orcish cavalry.
Here came the orcish cavalry.
orc_direboar.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 4299 times
Chtomorc

Re: Tribes of the North era

Post by Chtomorc »

New version 0.4.3

I add the Zomzink horde to the faction, basically mainline undead, but only with skeletons because lord Zomzink think they are beautifull. He's got a very special sense of aesthestic. If someone want to get a look to the faction and give some ideas to improve them and make them feel more unique, it would be great :)

All the factions planned to be used in my campaign are now set, but they'll need a lot of balance I think. I'll start to work on the campaign for now.

I also started to work on translation to french (my base language). I have done the easy part : give textdomain-units to auto-translate what is in mainline. Don't understand well how it work to translate the leftovers. if someone can give me some hints...
Chtomorc

Post by Chtomorc »

Hum... I think I need some help with WML.
I tried to clean the Orcish plunderers unit's files and group the mainline based unit in a unique file, but I have trouble with the use of [base_unit] tag.

The problem is : I can remove the fire ranged attack of the archer line.
This code replace correctly the melee and pierce ranged attack damages and numbers, but don't modify the attack I want to remove. May you help me ?
code:
Last edited by Chtomorc on June 29th, 2011, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Chtomorc wrote:Hum... I think I need some help with WML.
This kind of stuff gets more attention in WML workshop.

Leviathans ranged attack is "posion projection", should be "poison projection". (Also has no attack icon)
Chtomorc

Post by Chtomorc »

Thanks for reports, I fixed the leviathan's attack.

I just didn't want to make a lot of thread, but I will post it in WML workshop if it's a better place to have answers !
Finrod

Post by Finrod »

I like the orc's traits. :D

Along with +1 move and allow movement in deep water, Swimmer should have less movement cost and higher resistances for shallow water.

Zomzink having only skeletons meaning no skeleton archers? or just no ghosts/ghouls/dark adepts?
Semper Fidelis! USMC all the way.
Chtomorc

Post by Chtomorc »

For Zomezink, only skeletons mean no gouls and no bats for now. They have the Chocobone cavalry, skeleton, skeleton archer and the swimmer variation of walking corpse for sure. Ghost should be kept. But I'm thinking of removing dark adepts. Just don't know what can replace them, as Lich are meant to be very powerful, making lvl 1 lich seem a bit odd.

After a quick check to Swimmer, it give movement to deep water, and raise defense in sand, swamp and swallow water + set the movement cost in this terrains to 1, I had not detail all the abilities, they make some minors change to 2 or 3 statistics.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

For skeletons: mage skeletons have been seen in other games. I wouldn't say for mainline, but for an era you could certainly get some skelly mage. Or any bone variation: Rib cage caterpillars, bone spiders or whatever... Let your creativity loose? :)

You could also use the undead bone dragon thing, there was one around at some point. You could imagine most any manner of bonny flyer/swimmer/aster/whatever. If you're going for bones, I would drop WCs and ghosts altogether and go pure skelly. You could also use the skeletal knight thing that we see plenty of in campaigns.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Chtomorc

Post by Chtomorc »

Yeah, I get some sprites of beautifull mounted skeletons, but I use the animated chocobone as a placeholder for now.
Bone spider ? Hum maybe some necromantic experience, 'cause spiders don't have bones :P

Yeah, mage skeletons are a basic thing in most game... Maybe I'll give them a try.

A large monstrous crawling thing may fit well with the disturbed spirit of my necromancer... But the bone dragon, although it is badass, won't be good for a balanced faction. Maybe I used it in campaign though.

You give me some good ideas to begin with, Dixie !
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Dixie wrote:You could also use the undead bone dragon thing, there was one around at some point.
There still is. Even in the main game itself.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Two ideas:
One is cool. just check this article out (yes, there is skeleton levelup named after this).
Imagine "race" of unrested guardian revenants/ghosts; being undead, yet with no necromancy; creatures of the dark, yet lawful (or neutral)... Hell, article itself gives some good ideas about units. :) Also, they would be very "Northy", which as I get is your point behind this era...
As for basic sprites: Hasn't Sleepwalker made some (currently unused) spiky zombies with Norse-based names?
Second, in case you didn't like the other one - it is strongly suggested that undead are sapient and capable of thinking (like in DiD, where you talk to your undead often). Even more, there is suggestion they may rebel - and rebels would turn rest against controlling necromancer. Asssuming that such band would succeed... Where they would have real chances of surviving?
In harsh northlands, of course.
So, being individuals, they would get names, and traits, maybe they could have ghosts of some magi (who would keep them in one piece)? Or something.
Maybe both ideas could mix. And having faction with Bone Dragon is awesome anyway, whether you are going to use my ideas or not. :D