Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AI
Developer

Re: Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

Post by AI »

Wesnoth-incompatible symbols? We support the entirety of unicode, even if some symbols may not be rendered using the fonts we have.
If names cause trouble for you, that's a bug.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

AI wrote:Wesnoth-incompatible symbols? We support the entirety of unicode, even if some symbols may not be rendered using the fonts we have.
If names cause trouble for you, that's a bug.
But then why were the names commented out in Era Khalifate?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

This ?

Code: Select all

#This macro was removed from mainline in 1.11.0+svn@r55246; this way it should be compatible with both 1.10.x and trunk.
# wmlscope: start ignoring
#ifver WESNOTH_VERSION > 1.11.0
#define KHALIFATE_NAMES
	male_names=_ "Aban,Abbas,Abbud,Abdul-ʿAdl,Abdul-Ahad,Abdul-Alim,Abdul-Aliyy,Abdul-Azim,Abdul-Aziz,Abdul-Badi,Abdul-Baʿith,Abdul-Baqi,Abdul-Bari,Abdul-Barr,Abdul-Basir,Abdul-Basit,Abdul-Fattah,Abdul-Ghaffar,Abdul-Ghafur,Abdul-Ghani,Abdul-Hadi,Abdul-Hafiz,Abdul-Hakam,Abdul-Hakim,Abdul-Halim,Abdul-Hamid,Abdul-Haqq,Abdul-Hasib,Abdul-Hayy,Abdul-Jabbar,Abdul-Jalil,Abdul-Karim,Abdul-Khabir,Abdul-Khaliq,Abdul-Latif,Abdul-Malik,Abdul-Majid,Abdul-Matin,Abdul-Mubdiʾ,Abdul-Mughni,Abdul-Muhaimin,Abdul-Muhsi,Abdul-Muhyi,Abdul-Muʿid,Abdul-Muʿizz,Abdul-Mujib,Abdul-Mumin,Abdul-Muqaddim,Abdul-Muqtadir,Abdul-Musawwir,Abdul-Mutaʿal,Abdul-Nafi,Abdul-Nasser,Abdul-Nasir,Abdul-Nur,Abdul-Qadir,Abdul-Qahhar,Abdul-Qawi,Abdul-Qayyum,Abdul-Quddus,Abdul-Rafi,Abdul-Rahim,Abdul-Rahman,Abdul-Rashid,Abdul-Raʿuf,Abdul-Razzaq,Abdul-Shakur,Abdul-Tawwab,Abdul-Wadud,Abdul-Wahhab,Abdul-Wahid,Abdul-Wajid,Abdul-Wakil,Abdul-Wali,Abdul-Waliy,Abdul-Warith,Abdul-Zahir,Abdullah,ʿAbid,ʿAbidin,Abu Bakr,Aby al-Khayr,Adil,Adham,Adib,ʿAdli,ʿAdnan,ʿAfif,Ahmad,ʿAjib,ʿAkif,Akil,Akram,Alaʾ,Alaʾ al-Din,Alʿ Abbas,Aladdin,al-Bara,al-Hakam,al-Harith,Alhasan,Alhusain,Ali,Alim,Almahdi,al-Safi,Altaf,Altair,al-Tayyib,al-Tijani,al-Tufail,Amid,ʿAmid,Amin,Amir,ʿAmir,Amjad,ʿAmmar,ʿAmro,Anas,Anis,ʿAntarah,Anwar,ʿAqil,Arfan,Arif,ʿArif,Asad,Asʿad,Asadel,Ashraf,Asif,ʿAsim,Aswad,Ataʿ,Ataʿ Allah,Ataʿ al-Rahman,Athil,Athir,ʿAtif,ʿAwad,ʿAwf,Aws,Awwab,Ayham,Ayman,Ayser,Ayyub,Aza,ʿAzab,Azhar,Azim,ʿAziz,ʿAzzam,Badi,Badi al-Zaman,Badr,Badr al-Din,Badri,Bahaʿ,Bahiyy al-Din,Bahij,Bahir,Bakr,Bakri,Baligh,Bandar,Barakah,Barir,Bashshar,Basil,Basim,Bassam,Bayezid,Bayhas,Bilal,Bishr,Boulos,Budail,Burhan,Bushr,Butrus,Dabir,Dani,Darwish,Daʿud,Dhakir,Dhakiy,Dhakwan,Dhul Fiqar,Dirar,Diya,Diya al-Din,Duqaq,Fadi,Fadil,Fadl,Fadl Allah,Fahd,Fahad,Fahmi,Faisal,Faʿiz,Fakhir,Fakhr al-Din,Fakhri,Fakih,Falah,Falih,Faraj,Farhan,Farid,Fariq,Fariq,Faris,Faruq,Fath,Fathi,Fatih,Fatin,Fawwaz,Fawzan,Fawzi,Fayyad,Ferran,Fida,Fikri,Firas,Fuʿad,Fudail,Gamal,Ghayth,Ghali,Ghalib,Ghanim,Ghassan,Ghawth,Ghazwan,Ghiyath,Habbab,Habib,Haddad,Hadi,Hafiz,Hakem,Hakim,Halim,Hamal,Hamas,Hamdan,Hamdi,Hamid,Hamim,Hamzah,Hana,Hanaʾi,Hanbal,Hani,Hanif,Hannad,Haris,Harith,Harun,Hashim,Hassan,Hatim,Haydar,Haytham,Hayyan,Hazim,Hilal,Hilmi,Hisham,Hud,Hudad,Hudhafah,Hudhayfah,Humam,Hussein,Husam,Husam al-Din,Ibrahim,ʿId,Idris,Ihsan,Ihtisham,ʿIkrimah,Ilias,ʿImad,Imad al-Din,Imran,Imtiyaz,Inʿam,Iqbal,ʿIrfan,ʿIsa,ʿIsam,Ishaq,Ismaʿil,Iyad,Iyas,Izz al-Din,Jabbar,Jabr,Jabir,Jad Allah,Jaʿfar,Jal,Jalal,Jalal al-Din,Jalil,Jamal,Jamal al-Din,Jamil,Jarir,Jasim,Jaul,Jaun,Jawad,Jawdah,Jawhar,Jibran,Jibril,Jubair,Jul,Jumah,Junayd,Juwain,Kadar,Kadin,Kadir,Kahil,Kaliq,Kamal,Kamil,Karam,Kardal,Karif,Karim,Kasib,Kasim,Katib,Kazim,Khalaf,Khaldun,Khalid,Khalil,Khalil al-Allah,Khalis,Khatib,Khair al-Din,Khairi,Khoury,Khulus,Khuzaymah,Kutaiba,Labib,Lablab,Latif,Layth,LuʿayLubayd,Luqman,Lut,Lutfi,Maʿd,Madani,Mahbub,Mahdi,Mahfuz,Mahir,Mahjub,Mahmud,Mahrus,Maimun,Majd,Majdy,Majd al-Din,Majid,Makin,Malik,Mamduh,Maʿmun,Maʿin,Mandhur,Mansur,Marghub,Marid,Maʿruf,Marwan,Marzuq,Mashʿal,Mashhur,Masrur,Masʿud,Masun,Maysarah,Mazhar,Mazin,Mehmed,Mihran,Mihyar,Mikaʾil,Miqdad,Misbah,Mishʿal,Miyaz,Muʾadh,Muʾawiyah,Muʾayyad,Mubarak,Mubin,Mudar,Muddaththir,Mufid,Muflih,Muhab,Muhayr,Muhammad,Muhanna,Muhannad,Muhib,Muhibb,Muhsin,Muhtadi,Muhyi al-Din,Muʿin,Muʿizz,Mujab,Mujahid,Mukarram,Mukhlis,Mukhtar,Mulham,Mulhim,Muʿmmar,Muʿmin,Mumtaz,Munahid,Mundhir,Munib,Munif,Munir,Muʿnis,Munjid,Munsif,Muntasir,Murad,Murid,Murshid,Murtada,Musa,Musʿab,Musaʿid,Mushtaq,Muslih,Muslim,Mutafa,Mutaʾ,Muʿtasim,Mutawalli,Muʿtazz,Muthanna,Muti,Muwaffaq,Muyassar,Muzaffar,Mussammil,Nabhan,Nabighah,Nabih,Nabil,Nadhir,Nadim,Nadir,Nafiʾ,Nahid,Naʾil,Naʾim,Naji,Najib,Najid,Najjar,Najm al-Din,Naʿaman,Namir,Nashʿah,Nashʿat,Nashwan,Nasib,Nasih,Nasim,Nasir,Nasir al-Din,Nasr,Nasri,Nasuh,Nawaf,Nawfal,Nayif,Nazih,Nazim,Nazmi,Nibras,Nidal,Nijad,Nimr,Nizar,Nuʿaym,Nuh,Nuhayd,Numair,Nuʿman,Nur al-Din,Nuri,Nusrah,Nusrat,Omar,Orhan,Osman,Qasim,Qays,Qudamah,Qusay,Qatadah,Qutaybah,Qutb,Qutuz,Rabah,Rabi,Radi,Rafi,Rafid,Rafiq,Raghib,Rahman,Raʿid,Raʿif,Rais,Rajaa,Rajab,Raji,Rajih,Rakin,Rami,Ramih,Ramiz,Ramzi,Rani,Rashad,Rashid,Rasil,Rasin,Rasmi,Rasul,Ratib,Raʿuf,Rayhan,Rayyan,Razin,Ridha,Ridwan,Rihab,Riyad,Rizq,Ruhi,Rushd,Rushdi,Ruwayd,Saad,Saʿadah,Sab,Sabih,Sabir,Sabri,Saʿd,Saʿd al-Din,Sadad,Sadid,Sadiq,Saʿdun,Saʿid,Safi,Safiy,Safiy al-Din,Safuh,Safwah,Safwat,Safwan,Sahib,Sahir,Sahl,Saʾib,Saif,Saif al-Din,Sajid,Sajjad,Sakhr,Salah,Salah al-Din,Salamah,Salih,Salim,Salman,Sami,Samih,Samir,Samman,Saqr,Sariyah,Sati,Saud,Sayyid,Shaʿban,Shadi,Shadin,Shafi,Shafiq,Shahid,Shahin,Shahir,Shakib,Shakir,Shams al-Din,Shamal,Shamil,Shamim,Sharaf,Sharif,Shawqi,Shihab,Shihab al-Din,Shihad,Shuʿayb,Shukri,Shumayl,Siddiq,Sinan,Siraj,Siraj al-Din,Sofian,Subhi,Sufyan,Suhayb,Suhayl,Suhaym,Sulaiman,Sumrah,Suraqah,Suʿud,Tahir,Tahsin,Taym Allah,Taj,Taj al-Din,Talal,Talib,Tamim,Tamir,Tamam,Tammam,Taqiy,Tarif,Tariq,Taslim,Tawfiq,Tawhid,Taymullah,Taysir,Tayyib,Thabit,Thamir,Thaqib,Thawab,Thawban,ʿUbaidah,Ubaid,Ubayy,ʿUdayl,ʿUday,ʿUmar,Umarah,Umair,ʾaUrwah,Usaym,Usama,ʿUtbah,Uthal,Uthman,Waddah,Wadi,Wadid,Wafiq,Wahab,Wahhab,Wahid,Waʾil,Wajdi,Wajid,Wajih,Wakil,Walid,Walif,Waliy Allah,Waliy al-Din,Waqar,Waqqas,Ward,Wasif,Wasil,Wasim,Wazir,Yahya,Yaman,Yaʿqub,Yasar,Yasin,Yasir,Yazan,Yazid,Yunus,Yushua,Yusri,Yusuf,Zafar,Zafir,Zahid,Zahir,Zayd,Zaim,Zayn,Zarif,Zakarriya,Zaki,Zakwan,Ziyad,Zubayr,Zuhayr"
#enddef
#endif
This isn't commented, it's #ifver'd.
The macro KHALIFATE_NAMES was removed too late from mainline as it was forgotten, namely between 1.11.0 and 1.11.1; thus 1.10.x's core defines KHALIFATE_NAMES anyway and Era_Khalifate doesn't need it and should not define it to prevent overwriting the core define. Starting with 1.11.1 it's needed.
Just as the comment there says.
(And umc dev r17284 is wrong.)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Anonymissimus wrote:This ?

Code: Select all

#This macro was removed from mainline in 1.11.0+svn@r55246; this way it should be compatible with both 1.10.x and trunk.
# wmlscope: start ignoring
#ifver WESNOTH_VERSION > 1.11.0
#endif
This isn't commented, it's #ifver'd.
The macro KHALIFATE_NAMES was removed too late from mainline as it was forgotten, namely between 1.11.0 and 1.11.1; thus 1.10.x's core defines KHALIFATE_NAMES anyway and Era_Khalifate doesn't need it and should not define it to prevent overwriting the core define. Starting with 1.11.1 it's needed.
Just as the comment there says.
(And umc dev r17284 is wrong.)
No problem, then. Sorry for the misunderstanding!
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

New Version: 2.0.3 on both stable and development addon servers.

Changes:
Jundi melee 6-3 -> 5-3
Naffat hp 28 -> 31

I could change more, but the jundi change is something I would like to try without mucking around with much else for now. Please, go forth and test! Let me know how it goes.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
KShrike

Post by KShrike »

So they are now in the new development update.
This is the first time I heard of this faction, and now I see they have been in development for a while. Interesting.
I actually don't like cavalry... isn't that ironic.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

KShrike wrote:So they are now in the new development update.
This is the first time I heard of this faction, and now I see they have been in development for a while. Interesting.
:whistle: Just going on 8 years.
Attachments
Saracen_MP_era.zip
(83.53 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

For what it's worth, I'm on the development server and will be for a couple hours so if anyone's looking to try Khalifate log on shortly.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Velensk: I would very much like to play some games but I'm busy today. The best chance of finding me free is to ping me on IRC, anyone is welcome to lurk in #wesnoth-khalifate. That said, I'll try to be on the development server more this week, as we need more testing of the development branch in general as we lead up to the next stable release.

This thread will eventually be shunted off somewhere else or locked as it's no longer in the right place now that they are in mainline - but leaving it here and open for a few weeks is not a bad idea so that as people become aware that the khalifate is released in the latest development version they still have a place to comment on it and this may be as good a place as any? I defer to the forum admins, but keeping it open until the next dev release or something is fine with me.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

That is ultimately up to you Wintermute. We can keep it here for a bit if you'd like or if you want to start a new thread based on their inclusion and just lock/link to this for historical reference, that can be done as well.

I can see the benefits of the former, but the latter gives a clean slate for mainline balancing.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
HaChol

Post by HaChol »

As for me, I would like to see the more orient|muslim style Khalifate faction intergarted to ML , because somehow it is contrasting the loyalists|crusaders 'mercyfully' in light of the other 5 'Lord of the Ring' style factions. ^_^

I tried to compile a new era recently to get a feeling about the faction Era_Khalifate and integrated them into my era Era_Ivrim, which is also featuring the long time round Agawaithi faction plus the default ML, may see:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=39394

I also got the feeling, like 'The Black Sword' stated: "(..) that Khalifate was slightly better than other factions, thus creating not perfectly balanced games. Moreover it is less pleasant to play with these units because they have no animations."

I even find them slightly more powerful than even the Aragwaithi, which _are_ rated as _not_ being balanced to mainline (various, different reasons though). Mainly I would guess, that the damage is on average to high per level per unit in the khalifa faction.

And because the Era_Khalifate is around some time, would it not make sense to improve the artwork a bit, first?

Thanks and goodbye ..
The fruit of a righteous man is the tree of life, and the wise man acquires souls.
And I said, I will perish with my nest, and I will multiply days as the chol.
HaChol

Post by HaChol »

Dear friends & dear wesnothians,

lets us have a little fun with the Eras / Factions :

Khalifate

Ivrim

&

Default ... non the less! And lets us meet in the lobby of the 1.10.x multiplayer (mp) games server.
Last edited by HaChol on February 6th, 2014, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fruit of a righteous man is the tree of life, and the wise man acquires souls.
HaChol

Post by HaChol »

Unfortunately the packages of "Era Khalifate" on the 1.10 & 1.11 servers do not meet minimal requirements. As I exposed in more detail in another post (http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 45#p566699) the packages in 1.10 and 1.11 have no CHANGELOG, no ABOUT, no CREDITS, now background info. Could somebody please add the minimal requirements please, any other UMC faction is far more better in this respect.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

As I explained in the thread you linked above, The reason these things are lacking is because there was no use for them anymore after the Khalifate were included in mainline. After they were removed from mainline there was a period of limbo resulting in no formal changelog being kept for a while and then no formal changelog being kept with the era after it was repacked for testing. Oops! But regardless, such a thing wouldn't be very useful anyway as it would only go up to the point that they were included in mainline and now all changes to them (and there have been several) are properly logged there. Sorry, I wasn't checking this thread often - this is a good reminder that it's time to lock it.