Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

Post by Wintermute »

Minor update to fix possible movetype conflicts with other eras.

Current version is now 2.0.2 on the stable addon server.

Also, there is a tournament testing out the Alternate Era and Khalifate Era together that is starting up now, and future tournaments planned after that one is done.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

I have started linking replays that contain a Khalifate side from the TAF (need Alternate Era + Khalifate Era to watch) in the first post of this thread.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

UD vs Khalifate with Rigor. It's the usual balance of cost-effective anti-adept units vs expensive and frail anti-skel units. I find the UD a bit easier to play atm.
Attachments
2p_-_The_Walls_Of_Pyrennis_replay.gz
(22.87 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

thanks for this summary. 8) ill add a few lines: i see a small problem where you can distract troops too much by being p1 and sending alibi units to their deaths. its something only slightly related to ud playing khalifate in specific but its reminding me a tad bit of the orcs also because grunts can rather quickly take villages due to their hill movement feature and 12 gold which is always worth it. nevertheless the khalifa are a strong faction not to be trifled with. i found the units very good to counter aggressive adepts who always get retaliation from e.g. jundis. :lol2:

:eng: the rather nimble anti skel units as tbs already pointed out could be for instance out of range during bad phases of the day to prevent damage but then i would eventually require some even more expensive troops to remove gold stealing village-sitters from my sphere, a rather not representative example in this replay because tbs could just village hop and i could not always get back my stuff in one turn. i found the khayal quite superior, in terms of dealing fantastic damage to all kinds of ud, but real defenders during the night are jundis who to a certain degree rely on their ability to evade adept zaps. mixed feelings about a change here. the leader i had realyl could have less strength, but on the other hand hes vulnerable like a horse unit which makes him a bit of a glass canon when fighting the "cold" UD :whistle: .
gooby

Post by gooby »

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I really have to know ... who conceived of the Khalifate faction? Can I contact them? I searched "naffat" and found out it was a real occupation at one point, in some obscure book about labor in the medieval Islamic world of which I was only able to get a preview. I want to find out more about the real-life warriors behind the pixels.
abhijit

Post by abhijit »

The falcon supreme

Aren't these falcons awesome? Watch khalifate vs elves on the weldyn channel in the replay attached.
Attachments
2p_—_Weldyn_Channel_replay.gz
abhijit vs Rigor
(28.18 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Winner of The Alternate Frontier
Honor

Post by Honor »

Can we make Khalifate_Era playable in WC? Thanks :O
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Honor wrote:Can we make Khalifate_Era playable in WC? Thanks :O
In which way is it not playable there ? What happens after the host selects Era Khalifate when starting WC ?
WC = World Conquest I assume ?
Perhaps it's more the WC maintainer who's got to do this rather than we.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Honor

Post by Honor »

Yes, WC = World Conquest. I have posted in the WC thread too. Let's see what they say. :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Question: Is the Khalifate still being groomed for inclusion in mainline? I don't see the era with the normal releases.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Currently, #wesnoth-khalifate is quiet and I confess I have not been keeping up with anything that is happening anywhere else. In somewhat related news, I have another kid on the way (going to be 4!), and it seems like two steps forward and one step back for the past long while with the era. Every time we get going again, it gets derailed. I think partly because I tend to be away every summer, and without another torch bearer keeping the flame going it just sort of fizzles, but maybe there are other reasons too.

So unless someone else has done a lot without mentioning it to me I can safely say "no" in answer to your question. That said, the parts are still there, and if some experienced folks step forward to bring some enthusiasm to it I have no doubt that can be turned around. I continue to lurk, but just can't seem to bring myself to work anymore without some prodding. It's so cosey in bed, just 5 more minutes... :D
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Congrats on #4!

Let's chat about the above, I will try I catch you tonight on that channel.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

I still owe you TAF feedback don't I ...
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Thanks Turuk, and yeah TBS that would be great! I'm happy to hop back on the horse and make some tweaks if there are folks out there to test it. Perhaps another tournament...? ;)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

khalifa is anyways more balanced than lets say orcs at the moment? every time i see them being played i turn on my personaly slideshow of upkeep making the other player sink like a stone :D is there any problem that was not addressed yet while playtesting it forever? and i sent you this feedback excel-word stuff TBS, so NO :eng:excuses to not POLISH YOUR DATA :mrgreen: !