Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

Post by Anonymissimus »

SigurdFireDragon wrote:If that's still the case, would there be any problems with TheScribe, myself, or someone else releasing a AoH version using the Default+Khalifate Era as a dependency?
Go ahead I'd say. Just keep in mind that this won't become mainline part then. (Khalifate are planned to become again once expert players say they're balanced enough so that they will not have to be removed a second time.)
Also, that addon will probably break once Khalifate are moved to mainline.
Also, bug report: The faction id is 'khalifate' when it should be 'Khalifate' to be sync'd with the name key, as well as the style of all the default factions using first letter capitalized in id and name keys.
You have write access in the UMC repo IIRC, so just fix that right away if you want.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Anonymissimus wrote:Go ahead I'd say. Just keep in mind that this won't become mainline part then. (Khalifate are planned to become again once expert players say they're balanced enough so that they will not have to be removed a second time.)
Also, that addon will probably break once Khalifate are moved to mainline.
Ok, that works for me.
Anonymissimus wrote: You have write access in the UMC repo IIRC, so just fix that right away if you want.
Done. :)
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Nice replay of me getting my ass kicked here :wink: .

Dwarves vs Khalifate on Sullas
Probably not the best play by me, but it was a very nice rush by my opponent nonetheless, getting 5 liminal units in range of my vulneruble village on the right just as dusk falls and they get their bonus. Then afterwards they're so damn fast. :(
Attachments
2p_-_Sullas_Ruins_replay.gz
(16.45 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

I found that the 'lightfly' movetype clashes with Ageless era. Actually, with the celestial faction. While it's due to bad WML coding of Ageless era (no prefix on their specific movetypes), but maybe that means I should prefix my khalifate lightfly movetype too.

Also, I'm sure that doing it in main.cfg is probably not the best place.

I'm not sure yet how to go aroudn this problem, trying to releasr commiting and all that :)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

csarmi wrote:I found that the 'lightfly' movetype clashes with Ageless era. Actually, with the celestial faction. While it's due to bad WML coding of Ageless era (no prefix on their specific movetypes), but maybe that means I should prefix my khalifate lightfly movetype too.

Also, I'm sure that doing it in main.cfg is probably not the best place.

I'm not sure yet how to go around this problem, trying to releasr commiting and all that :)
Make an add-on wide search&replace through all .cfg files, including the _main, for the string "lightfly" into e.g. "khalifatelightfly". The other movetypes used actually already have such prefix. That should do it. (untested :P )
Perhaps ageless era was referencing the movetype when Khalifate was still mainline, and when it got moved into an addon they needed to copy it, thus the collision.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

yea I know that should do :)

I'm just not sure about how to post changelog, commit correctly and such.

Also, as I said, I don't think it belongs in the _main.cfg, might have a better place for it.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

If you're arguing about where movetypes should be defined, I'd suggest putting them somewhere like "units/movetypes.cfg". Not that it matters in the least.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Just trying to follow conventions as best as I can. Makes it more readable for others, it's also a good thing to pick up the right habits (which I'm trying to do).
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Khalifate vs Drakes on Aethermaw.

It was a bit of a steamroller for the Khal, going mostly jundi and Rami and hitting at dawn, taking out the lawful drakes so they can't counter. Despite that I'm fairly optimistic that drakes can have good chances v the liminal Khal, hopefully I'll get a chance to test it from the drake side.

The cost difference is fairly big though, and the khal actually out-manouvre the best drake counters; clashers and to a lesser extent burners.

EDIT: We swapped sides and played another, a much closer game this time. I planned to give up the front vill on the khal powerphase of dusk but then they pushed me so far back I couldn't get in range properly for first day again. And they easily retreated with their speed and healer making harrying pretty useless. I'm thinking of going a little more fighter heavy next time and see how they do, though maybe with just some quick clashers(I got none!) things would have went better.
I'm not 100% sure why I won it then, I did get 1-2 extra kills from luck, but it wasn't so big a factor I think. In the end I'd probably mark the 36g falcon sacrifice as a loss, it limited two day attacks but actually the night only went as I had planned anyway. I thought my opponent played well this time, but maybe he should have held the front vill on the right. He could have killed the glider I think and put some damage into the clasher, most of my army was doing something anyway. Also my village play on the left was good I thought. Probably all these minor factors managed to push me over the edge.

Anyway, seems like a fun matchup atm, but I'd put a slight advantage with the khalifate, better gameplay than the lawful khalifate though IMO.
Attachments
Drakes_vs_Khals_-_Hamlets.gz
(23.62 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Khal_vs_Drakes_-_Aethermaw.gz
(20.21 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

so now we havent heard of the khalifate for a while. does this mean the work is on hold now or will there be a concluding remark about their balance changes yet?
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Work has been mostly on hold. csarmi and I have both been busy and for whatever reason have had trouble jumping back into development. Thanks for the bump. Feel free to drop by #wesnoth-khalifate and bother us there. Perhaps a few more interested folks lurking there for test games and reminding me to get off my backside and back to work will help get things back into gear. At least, it couldn't hurt I guess... ;)
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

you cant see all the interesting khalifa games that are played because they r being played in the fancy PYRA addon. how about you just log in right now, im online and waiting for you to pop up :) about irc: i downloaded it a few times but always deleted it because i used it just for wesnoth, and rarely. could u suggest a way to connect otherwise?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

You can use the in-browser webchat:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=# ... -khalifate
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Rigor wrote:you cant see all the interesting khalifa games that are played because they r being played in the fancy PYRA addon. how about you just log in right now, im online and waiting for you to pop up :) about irc: i downloaded it a few times but always deleted it because i used it just for wesnoth, and rarely. could u suggest a way to connect otherwise?
It's a bit complicated, but due to RL stuff, my ability to hop on the server to chat/watch is much less than it once was, but I am lurking on IRC all the time, so it's easy to drop me a message there and I can respond when I have time.

If you Google "free IRC programs" you'll get options and can choose one for your OS. I like Quassel, but lots of people use mIRC (I'm assuming you're not on linux as most distros would have a default program already) I'll PM you and we can setup a time to match up on the server, as I'd like to do that too. :)

P.S. Firefox had a nice plugin I used a while back (Chatzilla I think). That was quick and easy also.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

that helped a lot thx :) prepare mentally for THE SLAUGHTRER :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: