Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

csarmi

Re: Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

Post by csarmi »

Well you might try and contact Noy and/or Wintermute (happygrue)
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

A mongol themed faction. That's similar to the faction I'm trying to create XD

If willing, perhaps we could merge our lores?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

orangebox wrote:A mongol themed faction. That's similar to the faction I'm trying to create XD

If willing, perhaps we could merge our lores?
Well no, it isn't quite Mongol themed. Still, I can see how you got that impression. There is a Mongol faction in the Eastern Europe at War era, however. Also, years ago I proposed a unit tree for a Mongol faction on the forums.

Actually, the Khalifate is more like the armies of the Seljuk or Ottoman Turks.
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

I have to admit that's my impression of them before I actually played it lol.

After playing, it became obvious that they aren't anywhere near being mongolian-themed XD So yes, they are similar to the Ottoman Empire.
Into-Jesus

Post by Into-Jesus »

I know some people have already posted a Rebels Vs. Khalifate matchup, but here's another. I played as Rebels. I think Khalifate are good, but against Woses, they get crushed pretty easily. Good job on the art!
Attachments
2p_—_Hamlets_replay.gz
Rebels Vs. Khalifate
(18.26 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
"The problem with Internet quotes is that you can never tell when they're true." - Ben Franklin

On Wesbreak
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

Into-Jesus wrote:I know some people have already posted a Rebels Vs. Khalifate matchup, but here's another. I played as Rebels. I think Khalifate are good, but against Woses, they get crushed pretty easily. Good job on the art!
Against Woses, don't forget about the mighty Naffat. :eng:
Into-Jesus

Post by Into-Jesus »

That's why I didn't just spam Woses. :wink:
"The problem with Internet quotes is that you can never tell when they're true." - Ben Franklin

On Wesbreak
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

Into-Jesus wrote:That's why I didn't just spam Woses. :wink:
Your replay is good, but it would be kinda better if you didn't play against the AI(any replays are useful, but vs AI are kinda less useful). Can you find someone to play with and post the replay? The AI can probably be beaten with plain wose spam(or elvish fighter spam, etc.) :lol2: :P
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

Creativity wrote:
Into-Jesus wrote:That's why I didn't just spam Woses. :wink:
Your replay is good, but it would be kinda better if you didn't play against the AI(any replays are useful, but vs AI are kinda less useful). Can you find someone to play with and post the replay? The AI can probably be beaten with plain wose spam(or elvish fighter spam, etc.) :lol2: :P
The AI just got seriously pwned
Attachments
2p_—_Hamlets_replay.gz
(15.14 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Here's a replay of Khalifate vs. Rebels. The Rebels won primarily because the Khalifate lack a good archer that has very weak melee.

P.S. I noticed that none of the Khalifate units have attack or defense animations, just moving or an arrow coming out of their chest. I realize this isn't finished yet, but don't forget to make some.
Attachments
2p_—_Caves_of_the_Basilisk_replay.gz
(21.64 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Into-Jesus

Post by Into-Jesus »

Here's a Dwarves VS. Khalifate match.
Attachments
2p_—_Den_of_Onis_replay.gz
(14.04 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

On Wesbreak
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

As the result of some games I suggest that the Arif's cost be upped from 18 to 19 gold, it's just too useful and has a high damage output.
(keep the stats though)

Also, I like the mix of liminal and lawful units. Please don't make the whole faction liminal, it's good as it is.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

BUMP.

Sorry for absence. Let's finish this up shall we :)
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Is there an AoH version of this?

EDIT: after a quick search on the addons server, I didn't see one. If there isn't one, would you like me to create one? (using the same units of course)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

TheScribe wrote:Is there an AoH version of this?

EDIT: after a quick search on the addons server, I didn't see one. If there isn't one, would you like me to create one? (using the same units of course)
That's also something I would be interested in seeing/helping out with, as I have 2 add-ons making use of a khalifate-aoh faction. It would be useful if add-on authors had one version they could use as a depenency, instead of remaking it in each of their add-ons.

However,
Wintermute wrote:Age of Heroes with Khalifate is not going to happen any time soon - AoH has been left because it has a few hardcore fans but we're just not interested in doing anything else with it.
If that's still the case, would there be any problems with TheScribe, myself, or someone else releasing a AoH version using the Default+Khalifate Era as a dependency?

Also, bug report: The faction id is 'khalifate' when it should be 'Khalifate' to be sync'd with the name key, as well as the style of all the default factions using first letter capitalized in id and name keys.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.